Thailand to reopen more regions to tourists by October, analysts say it is risky but necessary

webfact

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They firmly believe opening borders is going to be the salvation of the nation... thousands if not millions will be stampeding the road to paradise.

They need a re-think.

Opening the borders can only help the current situation.

Or are you suggesting it'll be of no benifit at all?

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I was just going to say the same thing.  Where's the risk if few will coming anyway?  Just open up already with no quarantine for fully-vaccinated visitors.  There likely won't be many the first few months even with no quarantine--which gives Thailand time to get more of the population vaccinated and more businesses opened.  If they finally come up now with a firm opening policy that doesn't change every hour it will be helpful for people who are planning for December, January and February winter getaways. 

I agree with you, i think November ( ish ) it should be ( hopefully ) much easier to enter Thailand if double vaxxed.

As you say returnee's will start off slowly and they'll be able to monitor effect ( if any ) on daily CV numbers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Opening the borders can only help the current situation.

Or are you suggesting it'll be of no benifit at all?

They opened Phuket before it was ready, now hundreds of locals, Thais or migrant workers are infected, costing the health service/government millions.

A few million in from tourism vastly outweighed by the money going out in treatments.

They said open the country when 70% vaccination levels were achieved, at best it's now 30%.

And they want to open up and repeat the same mistake on a national scale?

Tell me the benefit in doing that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

They opened Phuket before it was ready, now hundreds of locals, Thais or migrant workers are infected, costing the health service/government millions.

A few million in from tourism vastly outweighed by the money going out in treatments.

They said open the country when 70% vaccination levels were achieved, at best it's now 30%.

People won't starve and i won't need to quarantine when coming and going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

29,000. Visitors, 1.6 billion generated and only 88 covid cases as of Sept. 

Which are the metrics that it failed?

And the dead old people from the misdirection of vaccines from the old to the 18yos in the litterbox you love soooo much?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

One is too many. A stupid experiment - failed - is not worth one life. Do you not agree?

Yes every lost life is a tragedy. Through Covid or or otherwise.

So  have no idea how many old people died due to the “misdirection of vaccines” as you put it. 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Kinda an easy thing to say while on a pension. Not so much if you have a family to feed. Not to mention all the other errors in your logic. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

How many in that group? 

By this time it's well documented that the aged are disproportionately affected by Covid. It's for this reason that virtually all other countries that can purchase these vaccines have prioritized the elderly.  Yet in Thailand, those aged 60 and older constitute only 6.7% of the fully vaccinated. Those aged 18-59 constitute 15% of the vaccinated.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-to-reopen-more-regions-to-tourists-by-oct-1-analysts-say-it-is-risky-but

Not only is this morally wrong, but it's also self defeating. Mortality figures would be much lower if the elderly were given priority and Thailand's statistics would appear a lot less threatening to prospective tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Airalee said:

You need to further break that down by population distribution by age for it to mean anything.

Fail.

https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=demographic

No, I don't need to break it down by actual numbers for it to mean anything. I could have been more specific and researched the numbers. But given that this is the policy in virtually all advanced nations for the reason I've noted, it's ridiculous to contend that there's even a remote possibility of the case being otherwise. Or are you seriously contending that there is something biologically different about the elderly in Thailand that makes them no more susceptible than the average of those Thais aged 18-59?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

Yes, you do.  

There is a proper way to interpret and present the statistics in order to have full comprehension.

Not incumbent upon me to provide a "full comprehension". What I wrote is absolutely supported by statistics wherever reliable statistics are available. Let me repeat: By relegating those 60 and older to the back of the line in getting vaccinated, Thailand's deaths are much higher than they would be if those elderly were given priority.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Not incumbent upon me to provide a "full comprehension". What I wrote is absolutely supported by statistics wherever reliable statistics are available. Let me repeat: By relegating those 60 and older to the back of the line in getting vaccinated, Thailand's deaths are much higher than they would be if those elderly were given priority.

There are more than 3x as many people in the 18-59 age group than in the 60+ age group.  So, proportionally, far more of the elderly are being vaccinated than the young.

You also fail to understand that there is a very large group of essential workers that are under age 60.  

Why don’t you think it’s important for those working in healthcare (doctors, nurses, customer service, maids etc), food industries (Food processing plants, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.), government workers and other essential services that cannot avoid public contact (and do not have the luxury of working from home), but are necessary for the most essential of daily services?  Do they deserve to die?

11 minutes ago, Airalee said:

There are more than 3x as many people in the 18-59 age group than in the 60+ age group.  So, proportionally, far more of the elderly are being vaccinated than the young.

You also fail to understand that there is a very large group of essential workers that are under age 60.  

Why don’t you think it’s important for those working in healthcare (doctors, nurses, customer service, maids etc), food industries (Food processing plants, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.), government workers and other essential services that cannot avoid public contact (and do not have the luxury of working from home), but are necessary for the most essential of daily services?  Do they deserve to die?

What don't you understand about percentages?

6.7% of those aged 60 and older are doubly vaccinated. This is not an absolute number, is it? It's a ratio.

15% of those aged 18-59 are doubly vaccinated. Again, not an absolute number but a ratio.

Epic fail.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

Will SETV be available again, as I read they are phasing out the 45-day reverting to 30-day stay soon....

Could a person do the Tachilek Burma visa-run before year-end if that border opens there soon or are you stuck to remaining in the likes of Chiang Mai bubble only and must fly out from there internationally once your visa or extension finishes ?

I'd like to stay 5-6 months if possible before flying onward somewhere else.

Edited by freedomnow

The only success of the Sandbox is to show that there is no need to fear, quarantine and repeatedly test fully vaxed foreigners.

As with Phuket, the Covid no's rise due to the internal population movements to profit from them, both in terms of employment and financially.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sucit said:

Kinda an easy thing to say while on a pension. Not so much if you have a family to feed. Not to mention all the other errors in your logic. 

So those who have a family to feed and are now in hospital being treated and not working/earning

what are they doing.

Better to have been vaccinated then open up and work.

I don't get your logic either.

19 hours ago, newnative said:

I was just going to say the same thing.  Where's the risk if few will coming anyway?  Just open up already with no quarantine for fully-vaccinated visitors.

I agree, but there isn't as far as I know a way to prove that someone has been vaccinated. I, in the states now have been fully vacced but all I have is a card in my wallet with no bar code, I don't know of any centralized data base, national or international.

I really don't understand the logic of the October opening not being approved. As a fully vaccinated person with a negative PCR test before flight surely I'm safer than the approx 80% of the Thai population who is not fully vaccinated

(For the "you can still catch and spread it while vaccinated" people, swap that with surely safer than the approx 45 million Thai that have never been tested this year)

Note: Site shows approx 10.7 million tests this year 

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Thailand/covid_new_tests/

Edited by aussiexpat

10 hours ago, mancub said:

The only success of the Sandbox is to show that there is no need to fear, quarantine and repeatedly test fully vaxed foreigners.

As with Phuket, the Covid no's rise due to the internal population movements to profit from them, both in terms of employment and financially.

Can they admit that and make reasonable policies that reflect those facts while saving face?

• Like 1

Today Saturday the 18th and yesterday the UK has kept Thailand on its red list , why ? With Thailand now reporting fewer  infection and death rates every day from covid you would think that the UK would relent and allow holidays to Thailand . I believe the main reason is 1 / the low rates of vaccination  2/ The efficacy of the vaccines used  3 / The low rates of daily tests carried out  4/  An overall lack of confidence the way that the Thai government has performed and reported its stats 5/ The percentage of the Thai  population who have received adequate vaccine protection is both questionable and at best too low . The general daily reduction in covid cases since going on the red list is amazing . 

Looking for places open to fully vaxxed travelers is still pretty limited worldwide despite the local whining/insistance of local (Thailand based) tourist industry folks.  Getting PCR'ed seems to be quite common as well.  Vacationing from Thailand, the US seems to still be the best option this fall (considered Finland and Spain as well) because of the number of the flights available in cases of flight cancellations/rescheduling. 

2 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Can they admit that and make reasonable policies that reflect those facts while saving face?

Indeed, but also not until their greed can completely overcome their xenophobia. Hence the continual flippity-floppity !

• Like 1