Ten years on the run! Former Korat sub-district leader arrested for murder of wife and stepson

webfact

arrest-generic-759x422.jpg

File photo for reference only

A former leader of the Pho Klang sub-district in Muang district of Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) has been arrested in the south of Thailand after being on the run for ten years.

Police in Surat Thani arrested Sawai Khanpakwaen, 60, in connection with the shooting death of his wife, a provincial councilor, and his stepson. 

He was taken into custody after being arrested in front of a shop on Tharathibodi Road in Phunphin district.

He was named in an arrest warrant issued in May 2011, reported the Thai media yesterday.

Pol Maj-Gen Naphanwut Liamsanguan of Region 8 provincial police said that Sawai had admitted he was the person named in the warrant.

A .38 handgun was used to kill Wanida Setaputta also known as Provincial Councilor Moo and Jessada Setaputta, her son, in a house behind the Lan Tawan restaurant. 

Sawai admitted that he had argued with his wife over money and a divorce. He said Jessada attacked him with a wooden object.

This caused him to grab a gun under a pillow but his wife then put herself in between him and his step son causing them both to be shot, he claimed. 

He fled the area and went into the construction business thereafter.

He will now be taken back to Korat. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You have to wonder why he has been on the run with that defence.

Because the facts of the crime probably don't fit with his evidence. I mean do you really think that one shot would kill both the wife and stepson ?

I mean something like this is hard to prove and IMHO a lie. I mean if it was an accident its really strange that both of them are dead. One dead one wounded.. maybe or two wounded, but two dead in an accident like this that he claims is self defense would be really unusual.

I doubt the place of the shots and how many would back up his story. So i think he ran as he knew his excuse would not hold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Because the facts of the crime probably don't fit with his evidence. I mean do you really think that one shot would kill both the wife and stepson ?

I mean something like this is hard to prove and IMHO a lie. I mean if it was an accident its really strange that both of them are dead. One dead one wounded.. maybe or two wounded, but two dead in an accident like this that he claims is self defense would be really unusual.

I doubt the place of the shots and how many would back up his story. So i think he ran as he knew his excuse would not hold.

Please accept my apologies.....my line

"You have to wonder why he has been on the run with that defence"

was pure sarcasm.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

was pure sarcasm.

Sorry, did not pick up on that one. As self defense can be a good excuse and real. However when you run its less l likely and even less likely if it involves 3 people and 2 end up dead. 

Because self defense happens so its not such a strange excuse but often the facts tell a different story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

In A land where you have to (by law) carry your ID card with you at all times, its surprising that you can just get off the grid for so long.

Maybe "For the security of Thailand" its time for everyone to do 90 day reporting.... ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Sawai admitted that he had argued with his wife over money and a divorce. He said Jessada attacked him with a wooden object.

This caused him to grab a gun under a pillow but his wife then put herself in between him and his step son causing them both to be shot, he claimed. 

Someone’s pants are on fire. 

10 years, is not that long. The older brother of the current minister of transport is almost 30 years on the run for murder (living next door of Buriram in Cambodia). If he has been a monk before he can hide under that name. I know a tour guide who had two licenses one under his real name an the other one under his name as a monk. Remember the policeman that shot two people in Kanchanaburi, they found him also working in Phuket as a tour guide. Changing a name in Thailand is easy.

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

was pure sarcasm.

I'm sincerely worried about the people who missed the sarcasm in that remark....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1