Chiang Mai Open on the 1st?

racinkc1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

@racinkc1

You don't need to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated else you still need to quarantine for xx days.

Even if you are fully vaccinated, you still have to get a Covid swab up the nose once you land in Chiang Mai.

The 1st Oct date is tentative , it might change again if the number of daily cases worsen.

where do you like to get your info from?

• Like 2

Ahhhh and 555.  I am landing in BKK on October 1.  I just booked my Quarantine Hotel and now waiting for my COE.  I am fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.  I seriously doubt this "opening" will happen in less than 12 days.  As far I know the only place I will gong to from the airport is my quarantine hotel.  

• Like 1

To be fair, Phuket announced for 1. July has implemented the sandbox on time. If CM will follow the same path then you will need to stay within a designated area for 14 nights, must sleep every night in your pre-paid SHA+ hotel, have Morchana app on at all times, and do 3 pre-paid Covid tests during the first 12 days. You can visit your home if it's within the area, but you're not allowed to spend the night there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

To be fair, Phuket announced for 1. July has implemented the sandbox on time. If CM will follow the same path then you will need to stay within a designated area for 14 nights, must sleep every night in your pre-paid SHA+ hotel, have Morchana app on at all times, and do 3 pre-paid Covid tests during the first 12 days. You can visit your home if it's within the area, but you're not allowed to spend the night there.

I read about someone who did the sandbox in Phuket, and he only had to swipe once a day in his hotel but was not sleeping there. But yes I agree with you what you stated are the rules.

About "Charming CM", however, there's been a worrying talk of mandatory guided tours. I can only hope this idiotic idea will not materialize.

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

Bangkokpost has the news but I am not allowed to link to it so i will link this instead.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/bangkok-to-reopen-without-quarantine-for-vaccinated-tourists-in-october

The Tourism Authority of Thailand said that from Oct 1, fully vaccinated foreign travellers will be able to visit Bangkok and four other provinces without undergoing two weeks' hotel quarantine.

Instead, the five areas - also including Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces - are expected to follow a "sandbox" model of the type piloted since July in the holiday island of Phuket.

Under the sandbox scheme, tourists have to stay within a certain area for seven days after arrival and take Covid-19 tests.

Hua Hin has said no. Bangkok has said no. TAT should not have mentioned this until it was approved. Which it isn't.

Hopefully, we'll get more information in a few days about this. But it doesn't look good.

Maybe by mid  October. Or so. Hopefully!

A great source for info is Richard Barrow's Twitter news feed.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:41 AM, EricTh said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand said that from Oct 1, fully vaccinated foreign travellers will be able to visit Bangkok and four other provinces without undergoing two weeks' hotel quarantine.

Instead, the five areas - also including Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces - are expected to follow a "sandbox" model of the type piloted since July in the holiday island of Phuket.

Under the sandbox scheme, tourists have to stay within a certain area for seven days after arrival and take Covid-19 tests.

I think this is their usual double speak

Meaning yes no "Hotel Quarantine" But like Phuket they will follow a sandbox model...meaning your still quarantined 7 days but just a larger room ????

Edited by meechai

9 hours ago, meechai said:

I think this is their usual double speak

Meaning yes no "Hotel Quarantine" But like Phuket they will follow a sandbox model...meaning your still quarantined 7 days but just a larger room ????

From what I understand, you'll be free to go around the area, but have to check in every day with the SHA on-site manager. And do a series of covid tests.

8 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

From what I understand, you'll be free to go around the area, but have to check in every day with the SHA on-site manager. And do a series of covid tests.

Correct, my GF is currently in Phuket, and she has to scan a QR code daily, but is otherwise free to do whatever she wants (on the island), and of course the 3 mandatory covid-19 tests (first one in airport on arrival) and having the Thailand+ app on her phone which requests location data, but she has limited it to “only while using the app”, so doubtful they will get any useful location data from this, as I think iOS will push most users toward this choice.

• Thanks 1

I just read news from Bangkokpost that Chiang Mai reopening is indirect, that is tourists must spend 7 days in Phuket first.

There's no direct flight to Chiang Mai yet for tourists for this Oct or Nov opening. Probably Jan next year.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lkn said:

VietJet Air has a daily direct morning flight from Phuket to Chiang Mai.

What I mean is international flights from outside of Thailand and not local flights inside Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

On 9/22/2021 at 7:27 PM, EricTh said:

What I mean is international flights from outside of Thailand and not local flights inside Thailand.

skyscanner shows that from Oct 31, there will be flights from Hong Kong to Chiang Mai operated by Hog Kong Express, hope it will materialize.

https://www.skyscanner.com.hk/transport/flights/hkg/cnx/211031/?adults=1&adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&children=0&childrenv2=&destinationentityid=27539873&inboundaltsenabled=false&infants=0&outboundaltsenabled=false&preferdirects=false&preferflexible=false&ref=home&rtn=0