Might Be In Trouble?

OK,

Firstly I apoligise for not posting for a length of time but my life has been in a whirlwind since my wife got her setlement granted in September 2005. Since then a lot has happened. I have a beautiful daughter, we have a house everything is great. Until I realised that we have neglected the ILR requirements. When my wife arrived in the Uk we tried to get her going on a ESOL course but unfortunatly in my area they were all full, so we had to wait. But then my wife fell pregnant and the course sort of took a back step. And it has all crept up so quickly. There is noway that my wife can speak enough english to pass this course, mainly my fault as we usualy comunicate in thai, as I can speak a reasonable amount. The added problem we have is that my wife is dislexic, and she cannot read and write even thai that well. This means their is noway that she is going to learn the needed amount of english in time. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions as to what we can do, as I dont want to be seperated from my family.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Bang.........

No problem just apply for Further Leave to Remain which will cost you £395 and give her another 2 years in UK to prepare for the test or complete the course. Apply on form FLR(M) using this guidance

There is a provision that those under 18, over 65 or have a disablility that would prevent them from completing the proof of competency are exempt but whether Dyslexia would fall into that category I don't know but from the explanation below I doubt it.

See Knowledge of life in the UK

Edited by Mahout Angrit

First things first: don't worry about being separated from your family. That will not happen.

Your wife's dyslexia does not absolve her from sitting the test, so she will either have to attend an ESOL with Citizenship course or sit the Life in the UK test. She should be able to obtain the qualification just be means of attendance at an ESOL with Citizenship course, so that's the one I'd recommend she does.

It is probable that there are no new courses now until the new school year in September, which is when your wife's initial 2 years expires. Consequently, if the situation arises whereby your wife can't sit the course in time, she should make an application to the Borders and Immigration Agency before her current leave finishes for an extension based on her marriage to you. This will cost £395.00 and they should give her another two years. Once she has sat the course, she can immediately apply for ILR; i.e. she doesn't need to wait until the second lot of 2 years expires.

Scouse.

are you sure you need the english test pass for ILR, i thought this was just for citizenship!!

Just to be clear jack, although the above posters have made the requirements clear, the rules changed recently, and although you are correct in saying in the past that only citizenship required the LITUK test, recent changes have now made it necessary for ILR as well, or of course ESOL with citizenship as stated above.

Moss

Thanks everybody that is a weight off my mind!!

Although it has given me a kick up the arse as to getting her into school. And a rollocking for speaking in thai too much!! I will get in touch with the college after the half term break and try and get her back on the list.

Thanks again as always thaivisa!!!

Bang.............