Bangkok to Chiang Mai!

PizzaBoi

Hello,

I recently finished ASQ and my plan was to hire a car and drive from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Given Bangkok is a dark red zone and Chiang Mai is not, it's my understanding that "getting in" could be troublesome. Finding any real-world information seems quite difficult and understanding what's actually necessary is never easy in Thailand, as many of you probably know.

For example I've checked numerous airlines and they state you need either a recent negative COVID test OR to be fully vaccinated, whereas some other sources state full vaccination is mandatory and even 14 days quarantine is necessary. I also contacted a prominent medical clinic in Bangkok and they stated just a rapid ATK test with certificate would suffice.

I've also read that some sort of tracking apps are necessary to be installed, but suggestions on that vary too, from just using the covid-19.in.th site for registration of your trip, to the full MorChana app logging every time you go to the toilet.

Has anyone here recently made this trip via car and if so would kindly share your experience and the requirements you had to meet?

Thank you

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

If you've been hanging around Bangkok after leaving the ASQ hotel, your experiences are going to be different than mine.

Thank you for the reply NancyL and taking the time to explain what you went through.

I think given everything I might just chill somewhere else for now and then hopefully next month domestic travel restrictions ease a bit, or at more provinces will move out the dark red zone

I went there two weeks ago. At the SE corner of the 11 super hwy in Chiang Mai you will pass through a check point where you need to scan a QR code and register your details. You will receive advice via SMS on the phone number you put down. You do not need to quarantine but you need to monitor your symptoms and if you have symptoms of COVID-19 you will need to inform them and report to a hospital.

The advice you are hearing about quarantine is out of date. They changed it on 1-Sep.

What are you planning to do up there? All the pubs and most of the bars were closed.

@NancyL Do you have any info on the "right" app needed please? I have to do a day return flight, CNX-BKK-CNX if that's even possible, and it is very likely to be in the next week, and I'm dreading the extra airport dramadey! As if the security circus these last 20 years has not been enough pointless posturing worldwide.

Note to self: Nevermind, I'll just load any and all the "Chanas" they got on the playstore!

2 hours ago, wprime said:

I went there two weeks ago. At the SE corner of the 11 super hwy in Chiang Mai you will pass through a check point where you need to scan a QR code and register your details. You will receive advice via SMS on the phone number you put down. You do not need to quarantine but you need to monitor your symptoms and if you have symptoms of COVID-19 you will need to inform them and report to a hospital.

The advice you are hearing about quarantine is out of date. They changed it on 1-Sep.

What are you planning to do up there? All the pubs and most of the bars were closed.

Thanks for the info. Definitely doesn't sound too bad what you had to do. I guess having a negative COVID test with me wouldn't hurt either.

Had no particular plan. Was just thinking to spend some time in that area and take advantage of the very low hotel/apartment prices available at the moment. Rarely drink anyways, so the bars being closed isn't a huge negative to me

10 hours ago, PizzaBoi said:

Thanks for the info. Definitely doesn't sound too bad what you had to do. I guess having a negative COVID test with me wouldn't hurt either.

Had no particular plan. Was just thinking to spend some time in that area and take advantage of the very low hotel/apartment prices available at the moment. Rarely drink anyways, so the bars being closed isn't a huge negative to me

You can still get a drink if you want and even some of the bars on Loy Khru are open, your drink will be served in paper cup

16 hours ago, PizzaBoi said:

Thank you for the reply NancyL and taking the time to explain what you went through.

I think given everything I might just chill somewhere else for now and then hopefully next month domestic travel restrictions ease a bit, or at more provinces will move out the dark red zone

I think Nancy's experience might be different from others because she's using a private car and not public buses/airplanes.

I went to Arcade bus station a couple of days ago because I thought of going to Bangkok for a few days and then come back to Chiang Mai.

The officers in charge said if I am fully vaccinated, I don't need to be quarantined if I come back to Chiang Mai but I still have to do the Covid swab test up my nose/throat which put me off.  I have to also show my fully vaccinated cert on Mor Prom.

From Chiang Mai to Bangkok trip, I don't need to do Covid swab test because of safer 'red zone' to dangerous 'deep red zone' but not the other way around.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1