SRT Red Line to BKK CW Immigration (from Sukhumvit area via MRT Blue Line)

1 hour ago, Searat7 said:

I miss the days when I could walk from my place in Silom to Suan Phlu in 15 minutes.

The location of that office was relatively convenient. That said, it was not a good place to have to go if suffering from claustrophobia. There was no way to expand at that site, and more space was desperately needed. Really, though, I do wish they could have found somewhere nearer Bangkok than Nakhorn Nowhere for the new office.

• Like 1

When the now-under construction Pink Line opens in the coming years -- assuming BKK CW Immigration is still housed there in the Govt. Complex building -- you'll be able to get there directly from downtown BKK by in theory using only THREE different rail lines:

--MRT Blue Line: downtown BKK to Bang Sue

--SRT Red Line: Bang Sue Grand to Laksi

--Pink Line: Laksi to whatever they're going to call its closest station near CW Soi 7

And then, the free electric shuttle tram running between the main CW Road at Soi 7 down to the Govt Complex B building that houses Immigration.

But by then, they'll probably move the whole thing to MTT!!!  ( j/k ???? )

• Haha 1

Thanks for this update, a route I was pondering for the next trip but on balance I think I'll stick to BTS Wat Phra Sri Mahathat station / taxi as my preferred option.  Single BTS trip to the station from Asok then a taxi to CW for about THB 60-70 and around 10 minutes, primary objective for me is being ease and to cut down on trudging around in urbania.  Second preference, before Covid, was always the BTS to Victory Monument then bus direct to the door, also very easy but less desirable these days both with Covid around and, particularly, with all the road works that have been going on with the ensuing chaos and delays.  Tried all the different MRT to Mo Chit then taxi or bus and even the mini vans followed by motocy but that route can involve a bit of waiting around and I've been unlucky a couple of times with traffic being a pig from Mo Chit to CW.  At least it's easier than it was now, thankfully only once a year.

Going in October. Same as posts above several options.

I don't go super early like some and also live very close MRT. Hence train to Chatuchak followed by bus that leaves from that MRT stop. Think it's bus 52? Weird but I prefer it to taxi. 8 baht side bonus.

I don't bother with electric shuttle from main road. Walk always a good thing.

Edited by DrJack54

If you get very early morning to Mochit you can board for a very modest fee the packed minibuses that take people working at CW. 

The busses unload their PAX at the corner of CW Rd and the avenue to the complex.

From there a free CW shuttle bus takes the just offloaded PAX to the CW complex.

But that free shuttle bus runs only at a set time when people arrive to work.

Other time you'll have to walk.

I did make that trip once and had a pleasant conversation with a seated next to me lady working at the complex.

The best is still to take a taxi from Mochit to the complex.

4 minutes ago, poskat said:

how crowded was CW?

I have to go there for my visa extension tomorrow.

do you still need to get there super early, wait in a queue

to get a queue #, then requeue, to go in at 830AM

and then get another specific counter queue #?

Do you intend to obtain bank letter at CW when you attend imm. Which bank? 

Edited by DrJack54

40 minutes ago, poskat said:

Thanks for that

however, I dont need one, I work in bkk

so I need a copy of my contract, letter from the company etc....

No worries.

As for best time.....everyone has their own "best way".

Personally I like to obtain queue # just prior to one hour lunch break. So I arrive about 11.30am. suits me as I can do bank stuff during the break.

You can go anytime.

11 hours ago, jayceenik said:

If you get very early morning to Mochit you can board for a very modest fee the packed minibuses that take people working at CW. 

The busses unload their PAX at the corner of CW Rd and the avenue to the complex.

From there a free CW shuttle bus takes the just offloaded PAX to the CW complex.

But that free shuttle bus runs only at a set time when people arrive to work.

Other time you'll have to walk.

I did make that trip once and had a pleasant conversation with a seated next to me lady working at the complex.

The best is still to take a taxi from Mochit to the complex.

In the past, I've successfully and satisfactorily taken the route 166 expressway bus that runs between Victory Monument and a stop at the Government Complex building that houses Immigration. However, during COVID time in Thailand, I'm avoiding those kinds of trips and crowd exposures as much as possible.

Likewise, years living here have taught me to avoid the local van service for safety reasons as much as possible, and even moreso now during a continuing COVID problem in Bangkok, the last thing I want to be doing is sitting crammed in a van for a half hour trip with 8 or 10 other people within breathing distance.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, poskat said:

how crowded was CW?

I have to go there for my visa extension tomorrow.

do you still need to get there super early, wait in a queue

to get a queue #, then requeue, to go in at 830AM

and then get another specific counter queue #?

Last week, because of my transit travel experiment, I didn't arrive to BKK CW until about 9 am, meaning the morning cattle call had already occurred.

Nonetheless, I accomplished a retirement extension, re-entry permit and 90-day report in just a bit more than 2 hours overall, and was done and out by 11:15 am.

That said, the most time-consuming part of the morning was having to wait to get in to see the IO for my retirement extension. When I got my queue ticket for the retirement extension about 9:20 am, there were 17 or 18 people ahead of me in the queue. And it took about an hour from that point sitting outside in the designated waiting area before I finally got into see the officer for my extension at about 10:20 am.

My habit is generally to go in the morning as early as possible and to get there before or as close to opening as possible, so that I have the best odds of being done and out before their hour-long dead-time lunch break.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 9/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, DrJack54 said:

Going in October. Same as posts above several options.

I don't go super early like some and also live very close MRT. Hence train to Chatuchak followed by bus that leaves from that MRT stop. Think it's bus 52? Weird but I prefer it to taxi. 8 baht side bonus.

Don't know about the bus part at Chatuchak MRT station. But line 52 at the other end is the bus that runs along Chaengwattana Road and lets you off or picks you up on the main road just a block or so from the CW Soi 7 entrance leading to the Government Complex area.

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't know about the bus part at Chatuchak MRT station.

If your taking MRT to Chatuchak you take exit 2. The exit steps then few steps to same bus stop for the A1 and A2 bus to Don Mueang. 

There is lady in booth for general advice.

Bus 52 drops you entrance Rd to CW where the shuttle is.

I prefer to walk.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1