Selling a car on red plates?

PotatoMF

I recently bought a new car, but due to a change in circumstances, I need to sell it as I'm planning on relocating back to EU.

The garage has informed me that I need to register the car first before I can transfer to the new owner, both processes taking approx 2 weeks. 

Is there no way to sell a car privately on red plates? 

Edited by PotatoMF
  • Haha 1

Not true, you can sell it with red plates provided:
- you paid for the car in full and hold all the necessary original paperwork to register the car (first time owner)
- you made a down payment and the balance is financed; then the finance company has to be informed and they will send a representative. They sit on the original paperwork for the first time registry and will release this against payment of whatever is due to them

Any ownership change (I registered a brand new car bought in Udon Thani and also registered a second hand car previously registered in Cholburi) took both less than one hour (in Nong Khai that is) - always, provided the paperwork is OK and complete! 

• Like 1

I think take a Thai speaker to LTO and ask, pointless getting conflicting advice here, plus different offices may have different rules. 

I personally think they can do nothing until the ride has a blue book with all the details of the car. But, who knows.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, wprime said:

Yes you can, once you sell it. Contact the placed you purchased it and they will redo the paperwork with the new owner.

If he'd sold it why would he have any interest in any further involvement (particularly as he's leaving Thailand)?   It would then not be his car, it'd be the purchaser's problem.    

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 9/23/2021 at 10:47 AM, PotatoMF said:

The garage has informed me that I need to register the car first before I can transfer to the new owner, both processes taking approx 2 weeks. 

Is there no way to sell a car privately on red plates? 

I'd guess that the dealer is correct as how can the ownership of the car be transferred if the car is unregistered.

7 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Not true, you can sell it with red plates provided:
- you paid for the car in full and hold all the necessary original paperwork to register the car

Doesn't sound as thought that's the case with the OP.   If he had all that paperwork surely it would mean that the dealer had already paid whatever tax/fees he has to pay to the LTD and if that was the case why would the car still be on the dealers red plates and not registered?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If he'd sold it why would he have any interest in any further involvement (particularly as he's leaving Thailand)?   It would then not be his car, it'd be the purchaser's problem.    

You've obviously never bought a new car here.

• Haha 1

sone torRecognition of due ownership is issuance of registration. Until that point, the vehicle belongs to the vendor. Hence the vendor can offer a (pre-registation) red plate.

Once the required criterion has been assessed and proofed by the DLT, the vehicle is registered to the purchaser/financer.

Pre-registered vehicles can be sold by vendors (catering for sales targets). Can't imagine why some-one would wish to purchase an un-registered vehicle from an individual that was leaving the country.

Probably better to cancel the purchase (and take the hit) if a swift exit is so necessary.

P.P.P.P.P.P.P.

UP2U, I suppose.

19 hours ago, wprime said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You've obviously never bought a new car here.

Maybe I haven't, maybe I have, but whichever is correct it has no relevance to my comment.  

• Like 1

Registering a new car at the LTO can easily take you  half a day. And it will be much much easier if you have a Thai speaker with you.

BUT you cannot register the car until you have the appropriate paperwork. 

The piece of paper that the Dealer will drag his feet on is the one that says he has paid the tax. So if you want to register the car then you have to pressurise the dealer to make sure that he pays and gives you that piece of paper.

Again dealing with the selling of a white plated car can take half a day at the LTO.

Cannot help you with selling a red plated car.

Whatever you will need to have either a Yellow Book or a letter from Immigration allowing you to sell a vehicle.

Perhaps semantics, but the OP stated "garage", not "dealer". So the vehicle may not be new. It's not unusual for a resale to have no plates if they were personalized.

There's many connutations that need to be considered. Yet, an extenuating circumstance that affects resale is that; there's no registration documentation and the alleged owner is leaving Thailand.

Got myself a very nice Aston Martin from Dubai in 2008. 

• Sad 1