Home WIFI/Internet service

sagra

I hope someone here can help. For internet in our new house my wife bought some sort of True package that includes only a SIM and trueIDTV box. I am not sure why she chose that company instead of 3BB. Our house it too far from the road to have a cable. It's seeming like they told her to use a smart phone as a hotspot with that SIM instead of a router (or instead of something like their True Pocket WiFi mobile hotspot).

So, if that is true it seems like we will be forced to buy a whole other smart phone (to put the SIM in, for it to act like a hotspot/WIFIrouter?). It seems like we cannot use our current phones because it would have a new SIMM/phone number.
I'd love any advice. Maybe she didn't choose that best provider/package? We live out in the Isaan  countryside South of That Phanom and we need good high speed internet in our home. Any better options? Thanks in advance for any help.

4 minutes ago, sagra said:

Pocket WiFi mobile hotspot)

We use that when we travel.  Works during power outages.

You'll need to purchase the Pocket WiFi.  Get the one with the most available connections.  There about 3-4 thousand baht.

How far are you from the road to connect the cable?

Might be worth the investment.

If you do get the Cable at least your whole house will have better WiFi than those little pockets.

We're very happy with True.

Talk with them and inqire about extending the fiber optic cable to your house.

Good luck!

• Like 1

My employee used a box provided by True. The sim went in the box, and the box acted like a WiFi router. The speed was pretty good (here in BKK). He was able to watch NetFlix with only occasional buffering pauses. The data plan was a little expensive, but not terrible. A reasonable solution for a remote location, as long as the speed is decent and the plan not too expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

You'll need to purchase the Pocket WiFi.  Get the one with the most available connections.  There about 3-4 thousand baht.

Why purchase one of these? Save yourself 4000 Baht. Most smartphones have a built-in hotspot. If your phone is unlocked just plug in the sim card and activate the hotspot.

• Like 1

When you say you want “good high speed internet” what will you use it for? 

How far are you away from the road? If you really are too far away from the road, Is there a friendly house that has is an internet connection, say 1.5-2km away? 

I don’t see the solution that true gave you as a practical full time solution, one problem is, I think another user suggested, the connection is throttled over time. There are solutions but they are a little pricey, not extortionate but still ..

Do you want to try some speed tests with your mobile phone first? https://testmy.net or ookla 

There is another thread running here that may be worth looking at 

Edited by recom273

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

Why purchase one of these? Save yourself 4000 Baht. Most smartphones have a built-in hotspot. If your phone is unlocked just plug in the sim card and activate the hotspot.

Its useful if others maybe watching Netflix and want to go somewhere else and want to bring your phone.

It' also covers a wider area and can handle more devices.  Depending on the model 4 to 8 devices without a dropped signal.

This is ideal without dedicated service like the poster stated.

But if your living alone the Hot Spot on your phone is another good option. Also great when you're traveling and hotels with crappy WiFi.

It's just down to your situation.

For me I'd pay up to 15,000 baht to have cable to ran to my house.  I need WiFi.

Especially being at home more during the pandemic.

Edited by MrJ2U

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

Do you want to try some speed tests with your mobile phone first? https://testmy.net or ookla 

You will get very different readings from these two. Ookla shows 1000/500Mb/s for my 3BB connection, mytest shows 120/50 !

But as long as you connect to wherever you want/need, with no buffering, does it really matter what the numbers are?

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You will get very different readings from these two. Ookla shows 1000/500Mb/s for my 3BB connection, mytest shows 120/50 !

But as long as you connect to wherever you want/need, with no buffering, does it really matter what the numbers are?

Because it’s all well and good people advising him on routers and hotspots, but we don’t even know if he has 4G. 

Yes, you are right, if he is using Netflix without any buffering that’s fine, and the OP is fine with that but he just mentioned true has fobbed him off with a tv box and a SIM, but he says he wants “high speed internet” 

As @MrJ2U it may be worth spending an bit, pushing the internet providers for a solution, the staff often don’t know or omit to tell you that for some extra cash you can run a cable. If the OP can spend a bit of cash there are a couple of options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sagra said:

I am not sure why she chose that company instead of 3BB.

My apologies if I am taking the thread off track, and if that is the case, some guidance as to where I should post this would be much appreciated.....

I want to watch BBC world News live, and am wondering how I can do that?

I do have the SmartDNS Proxy type VPN loaded on my computer, but that doesn't seem to allow me access to BBC World News, and I saw 3BB advertising a box they have and wondered if that would do the trick, as well as providing some better sports coverage than I can currently get from the BBC iPlayer.

Any advice or repositioning of this post in another thread would be most welcome.