Mixing Covid jabs, how many is safe ?

Mbolo

I was offered n received the AZ jab through the kindly offices of the British Chamber of Commerce. Meanwhile Bangkok Hospital offered me the Pfizer jab, which I also took, because supposedly it's the best vaccine.

Now I've been offered a second jab of AZ next Tuesday and second dose of Pfizer on October 13th.

Any advice of the best course of action to take please ?  Thank you.  

• Sad 4

My vote is since your first jab was with the Pfizer vaccine, that you should stay with your second jab with the Pfizer vaccine. As you already have an appointment in October for your second Pfizer jab. I would not even think about getting a third jab (booster) until next year sometime. And if you have a choice, I would get the Moderna vaccine. This is the route that I am on. But of course the choice is yours 100%.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

My vote is since your first jab was with the Pfizer vaccine, that you should stay with your second jab with the Pfizer vaccine. As you already have an appointment in October for your second Pfizer jab. I would not even think about getting a third jab (booster) until next year sometime. And if you have a choice, I would get the Moderna vaccine. This is the route that I am on. But of course the choice is yours 100%.

"I was offered n received the AZ jab", I think he has the AZ/Pfizer combo already, so he's good for many months, depending how its read I guess......

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

"I was offered n received the AZ jab", I think he has the AZ/Pfizer combo already, so he's good for many months, depending how its read I guess......

I think you are right. I misread his statement. Since he said he was offered a second jab of both vaccines, it sounds like he didn't tell them that he already received a shot. Because from what I see, they don't offer your a second one when you have already received it. But I agree, since he has both shots, he's good until next year sometime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I think you are right. I misread his statement. Since he said he was offered a second jab of both vaccines, it sounds like he didn't tell them that he already received a shot. Because from what I see, they don't offer your a second one when you have already received it. But I agree, since he has both shots, he's good until next year sometime.

Or I misread it lol.....

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response

Preliminary results from a trial of more than 600 people are the first to show the benefits of combining different vaccines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

Five things to know about: Mixing and matching coronavirus vaccines

https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-innovation/en/horizon-magazine/five-things-know-about-mixing-and-matching-coronavirus-vaccines

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

When you mix your alcoholic drinks you end up with a very bad headache the next day , god knows what mixing vaccines does I for one wouldn’t mix my vaccine thankfully I get my 2nd AZ this Friday 

Ditto, 2 AZ done ! 

On 9/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, Mbolo said:

Any advice of the best course of action to take please ?  Thank you.

I would chose Phizer + Phizer, mainly if I needed to travel abroad.

There was an article in Bloomberg News 5 days ago about a study in mixed vaccines where Astra-Pfizer produces the highest anti-RBD levels on average at 2,259.9 binding antibody units (BAU) per millilitre.

Phizer-Phizer was not mentioned, you can try Google for an answer.

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

When you mix your alcoholic drinks you end up with a very bad headache the next day , god knows what mixing vaccines does I for one wouldn’t mix my vaccine thankfully I get my 2nd AZ this Friday 

Consumption of large volumes of different alcohol in the same evening and its after effects can in no way or form be compared to mixing vaccinations a month apart. 

Whichever vaccine is taken it is out of your system within a short time frame, just the antibodies remain.

It doesn’t matter which vaccine is taken or which it is topped up with. There aren’t any additional adverse effects. 

• Like 2

I had 1 AZ at Medpark 7 weeks ago, my 2nd jab appointment is in 5 weeks. Some of my friends have asked for and received the 2nd jab earlier, after 6-8 weeks, but everything I've read indicates that waiting the full 12 weeks gives optimum protection with AZ. So I'll be fully vaxed with AZ late Oct. I guess about 5-6 months later, around March/April 2022, I'll be considering a Pfizer or Moderna booster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grain said:

I had 1 AZ at Medpark 7 weeks ago, my 2nd jab appointment is in 5 weeks. Some of my friends have asked for and received the 2nd jab earlier, after 6-8 weeks, but everything I've read indicates that waiting the full 12 weeks gives optimum protection with AZ. So I'll be fully vaxed with AZ late Oct. I guess about 5-6 months later, around March/April 2022, I'll be considering a Pfizer or Moderna booster.

I’ve never understood this idea about “considering a Pfizer or Moderna booster”

when did it become a vaccine supermarket?

”i night top myself up with a Yellow Fever booster in the fall”

On 9/26/2021 at 12:37 PM, Mbolo said:

I was offered n received the AZ jab through the kindly offices of the British Chamber of Commerce. Meanwhile Bangkok Hospital offered me the Pfizer jab, which I also took, because supposedly it's the best vaccine.

There is no “best” vaccine, though there are some that are proving much less good against the delta variant. Currently the full corse (2 for most, 1 for J&J)  with a 3rd if your first was Sinovac provides protection from from severe disease and death for an unknown period exceeding 9 months.

There is no data on people taking a full AZ + a full Pfizer together. If your intervals are 4 weeks for both you maybe no more protected than a full Pfizer and less protected than an AZ course with a 12 week interval.

That is ignoring the questionable moral point of using 2 full courses of vaccination when there are millions of people in Thailand who can’t get even 1 shot.

If vaccines were not in very short supply there would be no moral point. But they are and you are depriving someone of vaccination. Potentially allowing them to have severe consciences just because you can, quite possibly because you did not tell the people offering vaccination that you had already had the 1st shot.