Paradise Pizza

jed

Went to Paradise Pizza last night and have to say that I came away very dissapointed. The dough was raw, the ingredients were uncooked, and the service was horrible.

The dough, even after I asked them to recook it, was still limp and 'doughy'. Not a good sign. The service was slow, and it seemed to me, given the results, everything was overpriced.

I am just a tourist passing through, but I hate to think that this kind of service will become the standard by which Chiang Mai will be judged. I don't like to slam a business in public, but I did make my complaints known to the proprietor to no avail, so I have no other way to let others know.

If this is not the right place or the right forum, I am sorry, but I felt I had to say something.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that their pizza is great, and I've eaten there quite a number of times.

I know the owner pretty well, and am really surprised to hear that he was not responsive to your feedback; I know him to be committed to great pizza, and caring about satisfying his customers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a restaurant, and ANY restaurant can screw up an order occasionally; but these types of comments can have a really negative impact on a business, and it bothers me when a person I know to be doing a good job, and working hard to make a good product, will be negatively affected by a comment such as this.

If you haven't tried Paradise Pizza, give it a try and make up your own mind, and anyways, how overpriced can a 39b slice of pizza really be?

John

Went to Paradise Pizza last night and have to say that I came away very dissapointed. The dough was raw, the ingredients were uncooked, and the service was horrible.

The dough, even after I asked them to recook it, was still limp and 'doughy'. Not a good sign. The service was slow, and it seemed to me, given the results, everything was overpriced.

I am just a tourist passing through, but I hate to think that this kind of service will become the standard by which Chiang Mai will be judged. I don't like to slam a business in public, but I did make my complaints known to the proprietor to no avail, so I have no other way to let others know.

If this is not the right place or the right forum, I am sorry, but I felt I had to say something.

If you find yourself down on Koh Tao on your travels make sure you visit Farrango's restaurant - probably the best pizza in Thailand.

Hi. Let me introduce myself, I'm Rick, the owner of Paradise Pizza. I was informed about this posting by a friend who is a fan of the restaurant and I thought I should reply because I truely care about things like this. I started this venture about 2 1/2 years ago because I personally wanted NY Style slices available in CM. We've obviously expanded the menu since then (by the way it was because the Boston Red Sox came back from 0-3 against the NY Yankees in the playoffs and went on to win the World Series but that's another story...) A couple of other places had the same idea around the time but I believe they're all out of business.

Obviously, one pizza restaurant can't make everyone happy. I try to taste them all in CM because I like pizza and I like to know the competition. I'm usually disappointed (Dukes actually would be my biggest disappointment so far....I can't figure out why people keep raving about it but it's just taste........."size doesn't matter"? People seem to be impressed with the size of their pies!?!...sauce was too Tomato Pasty for my taste) but there is no right or wrong as I've said. I personally like Il Forno. I also try to improve everything we cook whenever I can.

I've talked to the staff about the gentleman's complaint that started this thread and here is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong. The customer order a pizza but felt the dough was not cooked enough. I believe it was our usually cooking time but I can't be positive because I didn't see the pie. He requested that it be cooked more and my "crack staff" obliged him. It was a take-out order so I guess he took it home but wasn't satisfied. I am sorry to hear about this and actually would like to meet him and discuss what the problem was. Unlike many restaurants in CM and Thailand we really do care. Also, most people who visit here are quite happy with the service.

If anyone who reads this ever has a problem, suggestion or whatever please don't be shy to ask for me. I am often busy doing a millioin things but will always try to take the time to discuss whatever your concerns are. I have been living here over six years and am constantly amazed at how bad the farang food is. I just can't quite understand how they screw up some of the simpliest things (I could give you countless examples but that would impolite).

Sorry this is so verbose.......it's in the blood.........I hope the gentleman gives us another chance or at least talks to me to communicate his complatins. Any else out there reading this please feel free to introduce yourself and Thank You for your patronage.

Cheers,

-Rick

Paradise Pizza

Chiang Mai, Thailand

[snip]

Cheers,

-Rick

Paradise Pizza

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Well Rick, it seems you have a very high opinion of yourself and your product. Is no-one allowed to make a negative comment? Seems you also think every other business in town sucks. You sure do sound like a bit of a dill.

Personally I will not step into your place again due to the nature of your post.

BB

Obviously, one pizza restaurant can't make everyone happy. I try to taste them all in CM because I like pizza and I like to know the competition. I'm usually disappointed (Dukes actually would be my biggest disappointment so far....I can't figure out why people keep raving about it but it's just taste........."size doesn't matter"? People seem to be impressed with the size of their pies!?!...sauce was too Tomato Pasty for my taste) but there is no right or wrong as I've said.

You are quick to slag off jed for having a legitimate complaint about your pizza saying it hurts business when people do it. Yet you have no problem with slagging of The Dukes (and others) who DO make the best pizza in town.

As BB has stated, you are a dill and i know i won't be trying nor recommending anyone to eat there.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/hypocrite

[snip]

Cheers,

-Rick

Paradise Pizza

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Well Rick, it seems you have a very high opinion of yourself and your product. Is no-one allowed to make a negative comment? Seems you also think every other business in town sucks. You sure do sound like a bit of a dill.

Personally I will not step into your place again due to the nature of your post.

BB

He said willing to discuss.....wants to here comments....will take the time.

Full moon right now....easy to regret actions during full moon.

"As BB has stated, you are a dill and i know i won't be trying nor recommending anyone to eat there."

...Harsh guys. I dunno here, he shouldn't have mentioned who he isn't pleased with, but I'm sure the whole rant in the beginning had his head spinning too. I used to run restaurants too.... and the worst thing ever is for one small thing to balloon out of control with bad word of mouth. SOmething went wrong at his restaurant - probably, and he's willing to take a look and also make it up to any of us if he can. THat is the sign of a mgr who wants to do the right thing. If you owned a place in CM and found out your place was catching hel_l in a little town like CM you'd freak out too. Personally, never been to his place, but he stands by his product n says he'll do what it takes to do it right, I'll go in n check it out now. I'd enjoy a piece of NY style pizza anyway.

Yes, he shouldn't have poo-poo'd the competition.... but restaurant people are a different breed and the adrenalin boils and the nightmare scenarios start running thru the mind.... Rick, you should be careful, but I know your post was in the best interest of your place. Sometimes when I'm at the freak-out point I take a good ten min's or a day to respond.... what comes out is usually clearer and calmer and leaves me with a better result.

I look forward to a good slice of pizza. And I admire anyone out there trying to get a place going in CM. You can see by the way people keep heaping the dirt onto the deceased Greek Place that we're a tough audience. Get on our bad side...or sometimes just hear a rumor and you could be OUT!

Guys - I was going to make various posts invisible - but I have let them stand.

Let's look at this with a bit of fairness and logic. There was a post criticising Paradise Pizza, followed by a post by John, a respected, established CM restaurateur, defending PP.

John then lent his account to Rick, the owner of PP, to post a considered response.

In that response Rick made the fatal mistake of offering some critique of the god of gods, The Dukes! He even gave the reasons why he didn't like their pizzas. He was then attacked personally for doing so, (something the rules of the board look down on with some great disquiet.).

Where is the logic in this. Would you have attacked him if he had criticised Pizza Hut? or Pizza Company?

If the answer to either or both of those is no, I hope you are adult enough to retract your attacks on his person, apologise and maybe give his pizzas a try so that you might also post a considered critique here.

....... I admire anyone out there trying to get a place going in CM. You can see by the way people keep heaping the dirt onto the deceased Greek Place that we're a tough audience. Get on our bad side...or sometimes just hear a rumor and you could be OUT!

The problem with places like the deceased Greek place is that their product was simply no good, and they did not listen to advice or criticism and try to improve it.

Any place with good product will be guaranteed to have supporters and detractors. As long as the former outnumber the latter by over ten to one (approximately), the place should succeed, regardless of negative criticism.

If somebody posts a bad critique and there are no replies supporting it or, worse, a flurry of further criticisms, you can be fairly sure the place will fail.

Rumours or critiques online, in print or elsewhere do not kill a place. Any one or a combination of of bad product, ambience, service etc. do so.

You guys are over the top on this one. I love the Duke's (eat regularly and do Xmas and other holidays there), like most of you probably, I'm on a mild "how's it going, or whatever" personal acquaintance level with David. This guy's critique of the pizza was well within reasonable discourse, and the rest of the post was just an attempt to say his door's open and anybody's welcome to give him an opinion/suggestion. Man that ain't even in the ballpark of a rant by the standards of TV!

I had Paradise Pizza maybe 6 months ago and didn't love it, never been back. But I'll give it another shot because of his earnest post, even if he IS a Yankees fan, (I think). I've never had great pizza in Thailand. Best pizza I've had in CM so far has been La Villa, then probably the Dukes, but I haven't tried everywhere. Haven't tried Il Forno, but on his recommendation, I'll give that a shot too!

Paradise is great because on the drive home after a beer or two I can drop in and buy a slice or two. I don't need to wait - unless they heat it. When I'm hungry I want instant satisfaction. The taste is OK but not as rich as Maddog's but it does the job and for the price it's good value.

I don't like Dukes because whenever I have been there I'm surrounded by scarf-wearing 1940-hairstyle 'christians'. I personally despise these people and don't enjoy being in their company.

I don't like Dukes because whenever I have been there I'm surrounded by scarf-wearing 1940-hairstyle 'christians'. I personally despise these people and don't enjoy being in their company.

Are the women wearing ankle length skirts as well Low?

Yes... fortunately - I believe they believe shaving legs will only encourage the devil.

Yes... fortunately - I believe they believe shaving legs will only encourage the devil.

Disgusting :o

Could this become the new "Red Lion O'Malley's" thread?

ลบแล้ว

Cheers,

-Rick

Paradise Pizza

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Rick, I haven't tried your pizza yet, I try to get out and try everyone's in Chiang Mai.

But since I actually make the best pizza in Chiang Mai at home I still haven't tried them all yet.

I think your right to defend your product and shows you care about the customer

But as the owner for you to critque your competition publicily was probably not the right thing to do in a small town like CM. Especially since if you read this forum, lots of people here would gladly take a bullet for the joint you knocked...I know your remarks were made in the heat of the moment, so I'll be over soon to give your pizza a try.

2 Things

And so Paradise Pizza is located ..........where ?

Do you really need to use the quote function and put the whole reply to the complaint up n this thread again ? It's easy to reduce it to just a sentence or two. The thread's only 2 pages long now and it's already reposted about 3 times. I can tell from context what is going on, or easily go back one whole pg and see what everybody is in a huff about. The quote option is great, but use it wisely and save ppl some time, this will make your own words stand out more. It's also just more considerate on a couple levels.

LOL! I went to Duke's Wed night. Tried their pizza (small Napoli w/ olives), Caesar salad, etc. (OK, good but nothing spectacular). Was seated adjacent to 2 of the above. After a carafe of wine, I was able to tune them out, Praise The Lord :o

I have to say I am intrigued by some of you guys in an odd disconected way. The pizza and burger threads on TV would have to be the most volotile and emotive subjects know to mankind. Forget about peace in the Middle East lets get the UN onto the big issues of whether the Pizza Marinara at Mad Dogs is as good as at the Dukes. We could send out for international experts who grew up in Brookly to pass comment on whether the water needs to be imported (was a serious comment in yet another pizza forum). Perhaps put together an internaional body of Pizza experts on what constutes a tomato base and whether the EU should make a ruling of whether a pizza base thicker that 5mm is Chicago Style therefore cannot be advertised as New York which by Internationally accepted difinition is between 2.0 and 2.75mm.

Its a frikkin' pizza for crying out loud.

Ok to turn up the heat and make the subject really contentious.

1) Pizza Hut sucks - end of story

2) Pizza Company sucks almost as much as Pizza Hut

3) If any reader on TV is an owner or connected in any way to the the above Pizza chains and is offended by my personal opinion - then I apologise but not in any way retract the comments that your pizza sucks.

4) I have eaten the pizza at the Dukes twice and enjoyed it both times.

5) A good buddy of mine thinks the Dukes pizza is greasy and tasteless. So far I have decided against disowning him as a friend and calling for a missile strike on his home country

6) Mad Dogs pizza is good but not going to make me drive across town to eat it.

7) I don't eat pizzas in Italian restraurants simply because I prefer to eat other things there. Consequently I cannot make any comment on how good their pizza is. If it is one of the more well known and highly regarded places and assuming it is similar in quality as their other food then I am sure it will be excellent.

8) for the rest of the pizza selling places that I have missed out on I apologise but personally I regard pizza as something to eat because I can't be bothered with eating a real meal.

9) for the price of a decent pizza I can get a lot of other meals that are better and in my personal opinion much more interesting.

10) That said, if I go past Paradise Pizza and feel like getting something to eat then I will give it a try. If only to say to the guy - welcome to CM the Pizza Critics centre of the known universe and good on you for putting up a public reply to some criticism

If at the end of this post I have publically humiliated, offended, or put anyone out of business then I apologise but to the rest of you my advice is "get a life and get over it"

BTW for my money, the BEST pizza is at Angels Pizza in Lygon Street. Buy the Lou's special and eat with salad and a couple of beers. Then laugh about people talking about the best pizza in Chiang Mai.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

BTW for my money, the BEST pizza is at Angels Pizza in Lygon Street. Buy the Lou's special and eat with salad and a couple of beers. Then laugh about people talking about the best pizza in Chiang Mai.

OK, mate, I'll rush right down. I understand Jet Star has a promo to Melbourne, Australia :o

I've never eaten at Paradise Pizza, the best pizza in town in my experience used to be from La Villa. However I went to their new location a few weeks back and was very unimpressed. Is the Dukes pizza actually a pizza ? I'd agree it's very greasy but I wouldn't say tasteless.

Its a frikkin' pizza for crying out loud.

Ok to turn up the heat and make the subject really contentious.

1) Pizza Hut sucks - end of story

2) Pizza Company sucks almost as much as Pizza Hut

CB

First of all Rick, i do know you personally and shall let you know who i am next time i meet you at the Bears Den. am sure you know who i am now :o

i have not tried your pizza but with this free publicity, i am really gonna go out of my way and try it. after all its 39baht a slice? sure why not. i am not that fussy about pizza.

and CB actually Pizza Company is the best pizza in CM for me for a simple fact:

- buy 1 get 1 free card. need i say more? no one else in town can match that. period. it fills me up for many days :D

all the best to Paradise Pizza!

TB.

- buy 1 get 1 free card. need i say more? no one else in town can match that. period. it fills me up for many days :o

This is why I like stuff like this and in my post I made it clear - it was my personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs and as I wrote in an earlier incarnation of the "best pizza" thead the fact that there are so many Pizza Huts and Pizza Company stores around proves they have a good product that is liked by a lot of people. It just doesn't do it for me so I don't eat there. Same thing as Chang beer - I can't stand it but obviously other people do because a heck of a lot of it is sold.

Last point in this free advertising excercise for Paradise would be for someone to put up a link and/or directions on where it is located.

Anyone know?

CB

- buy 1 get 1 free card. need i say more? no one else in town can match that. period. it fills me up for many days :o

This is why I like stuff like this and in my post I made it clear - it was my personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs and as I wrote in an earlier incarnation of the "best pizza" thead the fact that there are so many Pizza Huts and Pizza Company stores around proves they have a good product that is liked by a lot of people. It just doesn't do it for me so I don't eat there. Same thing as Chang beer - I can't stand it but obviously other people do because a heck of a lot of it is sold.

Last point in this free advertising excercise for Paradise would be for someone to put up a link and/or directions on where it is located.

Anyone know?

CB

CB,

Its close to UN Irish Pub. Right before it if coming from Tapae Gate area. Across CM Saloon 2. Somewhere around there. :D. not really sure but its there somewhere! Paradise Pizza 7/2Ratchawitchi Rd.

ps: i cant stand chang beer as well ..

TB

Its close to UN Irish Pub. Right before it if coming from Tapae Gate area. Across CM Saloon 2. Somewhere around there. :o. not really sure but its there somewhere! Paradise Pizza 7/2Ratchawitchi Rd.

ps: i cant stand chang beer as well ..

TB

Thanks mate - for some reason I thought it was in Loy Kroh

I'll buy you a tiger beer next time I see you and we'll talk about the time I got a Pizza in Goa which was like liquid lava poured over fresh seafood. It was really nice and beautifully presented on a serving tray. Not often get mango lassi with pizza.

CB

i cant stand chang beer as well ..

At last a voice of reason. The one drink guaranteed to give me a headache before half a glass has been downed.

But don't those tight-fisted singlet wearing backpackers love the Chang? I wonder why?

Give me an Erdinger anytime.