Fine dining restaurant hits back with nasty comments after diners leave bad reviews

webfact

This so-called fine-dining restaurant is probably one of the many that has their tables all set with wine glasses placed upright on the table well before the diner(s) are seated.  Who knows how much dust and airborne grime settles into these glasses...  also the fingerprints on the blade of the knife, and don't mention the fork!

Sometimes when a diner gets Bangkok Belly it's not necessarily the actual food

You would hope that the current Covid situation has made everybody a bit more 'hygiene conscious'.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I posted negative reviews on FB and Trip Advisor, he replied with equally snarky remarks about uneducated Americans not knowing anything about wine. What can one say?

I am pretty sure most people reading reviews will be able to discern that the response does not address the complaint. I for one would ignore the owner's reply in that instance. Sure, some complaints are not justified and may even be competition sourced.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bassosa said:

I recently reviewed a clinic who had botched a small medical procedure and had refused to take responsibility afterwards.

Their response:

- It was my fault that the procedure failed (I went to proper hospital later and they fixed it for me)

- I shouldn't be complaining because they had organized transport for me (Blatant lie - I drove myself)

- Personal medical information was divulged in their response to my review

- "A foreigner should be careful defaming a Thai business" 

Sometimes generalizations are true. Thais CANNOT handle criticism.

Funny enough as I had the same kind of comments from a surgeon who, when I told him I would post his reply on the medical site immediately erased his answer .

they have got cocky since the hotel’s lawsuit against one of their clients ….but after all if is sort of the land of the lawsuit over here 

A few posts back was mentioned a French restaurant on Koh Phangnan. I am not suggesting the image below is from that restaurant or was the  object of the negative review. But it seems to me this is often the case and especially this French restaurant on Koh Phangnan where most of the reviews were in French language.

Lots of GREAT! to OK reviews and then the negatives always show up.

2021-10-01_08h03_09.png

4 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

This so-called fine-dining restaurant is probably one of the many that has their tables all set with wine glasses placed upright on the table well before the diner(s) are seated.  Who knows how much dust and airborne grime settles into these glasses...  also the fingerprints on the blade of the knife, and don't mention the fork!

Sometimes when a diner gets Bangkok Belly it's not necessarily the actual food

You would hope that the current Covid situation has made everybody a bit more 'hygiene conscious'.

and what about when the table setter goes for a cr_ap and doesn't wash their hand or finger ?

I ordered some food online the other week and as I was ordering a discount came up with the dish I wanted, When it arrived I was totally disappointed it was half the portion it should have been, I wasn't bothered about the discount just that they gave it on that dish, 

Im not sure that is good business practice offering discounts and serving only half the portion, not to worry I wont order again, 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Bassosa said:

"A foreigner should be careful defaming a Thai business" 

You could enjoy a night in jail - the customer on Koh  Chang did.  Most Thais can't take criticism (particularly from a 'dirty farang) because they are taught this country is Best At Everything; education; cooking; driving.  My wife was gob-smacked by the politeness showed by road-users in UK.   Because they don't read or travel this myth is preserved by Institutions like the Government or TAT.

• Like 2

If you run a risk by naming names here, how about using an anagram site to scramble the letters into new words. I'd guess that if a person wanted to know real name, they could plug in the anagram and genuine name should be among results. Morning brain fart

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's kind of a cultural thing.

Sure is... Never to admit doing wrong, never to take responsibility.

It's impolite in Thailand to point out another person's wrongdoings and shortcomings but surely if you have a restaurant you must be able to separate your business from your private person!

On 9/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, webfact said:

A complaint about dry meat was because the customer took 10 minutes to photo it.

There might be some truth in that, you know—diners who pratt about taking photos with smartphones of every freaking dish and posting it to social media. There was a time when folks went out to eat the food as it arrived and enjoy real-world company.

The look-at-me... or in this case, my food... culture are a pain in the backside. 

Stubby.

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

and what about when the table setter goes for a cr_ap and doesn't wash their hand or finger ?

No different from when you do that at home!     Seriously, how would you know whether the "table setter" had been for a dump or washed their hands?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 hours ago, mikebell said:
On 9/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, Bassosa said:

"A foreigner should be careful defaming a Thai business" 

You could enjoy a night in jail - the customer on Koh  Chang did. Most Thais can't take criticism 

You must be referring to the customer who admitted he was wrong and later apologised profusely for inaccurately representing what  happened.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2021 at 6:47 AM, PoorSucker said:

I googled the comment from the restaurant to find it.

Good thinking. My first thought upon reading reading the topic title was "What restaurant is this?" and your post was helpful.

I know "bundle of joy" as an idiom for a newly born baby. It reminds me of the time when my wife told me that she won't mind if I take a mistress as long as I give her double what I give the mistress, and I thought to myself: "one bundle of joy for the mistress, twins for the wife"

Long gone are the days, where a few gourmet gurus were the Lords of the rings in their paperback guides. These "critics" often were well fdined and wined, for free perhaps, in exchange for good reviews in the guides published ?!!!! ????

But those days are long gone. For the best of the customer and for the worst to the venues !!

Those who do not offer appropriate food, service and rates, may have to assume the consequences.

The world has gone global. Recommendations and ideas are no longer the sole privilege of a few.

1984 is fare behind (well maybe not everywhere). It's 2021 now !!!

Sucessful establishments cannot undermine or belittle customer opinions in public social media.

But just do everything to protect your privacy and safety.  Some are ressentful and bitter when finger pointed on the web.

With Thailand's defamation law and its often unorthodox interpretation by the courts it is useful to remember that c'est le ton qui fait la musique, it's all about how you phrase it. For example:

"The risotto was out of this world, the rice much more al dente than in any Italian restaurant where I have eaten this speciality. De gustibus non est disputandum and for all I now this is how other people like it, but sadly it was not to my taste."

People who know risotto as it should be will get the drift and to others, it won't matter how hard the rice is.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No different from when you do that at home!     Seriously, how would you know whether the "table setter" had been for a dump or washed their hands?

and that's exactly why my mum wouldn't go out to a restaurant,   I think in 50 yrs she only went out once or twice,  .....

she like her kitchen and she'd make crock pot beef stew and bread & butter pudding.     delicious

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are usually (at least) reminder signs in the washrooms in bars and restaurants in the UK. Of course who knows how many do so.... the average patron doesn't seem to. One thing I have seen a few times in Thailand that puts me off is an idle, bored table setter doing nostril evacuation while stood around.

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You must be referring to the customer who admitted he was wrong and later apologised profusely for inaccurately representing what  happened.

“This hotel or individuals associated with this hotel filed criminal charges against a Tripadvisor user in relation to the traveler writing and posting online reviews,” the message from Tripadvisor says. “The reviewer spent time in jail as a result. Tripadvisor serves its users best when travelers are free to share their opinions and experiences on our platform — both positive and negative. The hotel may have been exercising its legal rights under local law, however, it is our role to inform you so you may take this into consideration when researching your travel plans.”

I think his profuse apology was forced out of him under threat of jail/deportation?

• Like 2

Love the restaurant's retorts, they should charge extra. ????

Not the best business model, but understandable when you get (some) morons who have watched too much "Masterchef" and think they have to critique every aspect of a meal they are begrudgingly paying for.

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Love the restaurant's retorts, they should charge extra. ????

Not the best business model, but understandable when you get (some) morons who have watched too much "Masterchef" and think they have to critique every aspect of a meal they are begrudgingly paying for.

Thats the problem in the hospitality industry paying customers think the have the divine right to slag everyone off, 

We were rather disappointed with this lobster dish,” food and fashion influencer xxxxxxxx wrote on food review platform Wongnai.

Does a person who was disappointed have to post their culinary qualifications before commenting in public?  One never knows if said influencer (sic) is posting on behalf of a rival establishment? 

Surely any sane customer would simply internally register the dissatisfaction and not visit again.

Social media again. Everyone wants their few minutes of fame or a free meal.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Does a person who was disappointed have to post their culinary qualifications before commenting in public?  One never knows if said influencer (sic) is posting on behalf of a rival establishment? 

Surely any sane customer would simply internally register the dissatisfaction and not visit again.

Social media again. Everyone wants their few minutes of fame or a free meal.

In my experience women are the worst, men just get to the point

On 10/1/2021 at 4:12 AM, bangkok19 said:

This so-called fine-dining restaurant is probably one of the many that has their tables all set with wine glasses placed upright on the table well before the diner(s) are seated.  Who knows how much dust and airborne grime settles into these glasses...  also the fingerprints on the blade of the knife, and don't mention the fork! Sometimes when a diner gets Bangkok Belly it's not necessarily the actual food

Good points, but you'll find the filthiest thing on most restaurant tables are smartphones, not the tableware. Scientists at the University of Arizona saw that touchscreens are 10x dirtier than most toilet seats. It's something we should all think about the next time a phone passes hands to look at a snapshot of someone's prawn freaking cocktail. 

Cleanliness Is Next to Godliness—My A*se!

People have become too clean nowadays, and that can't be good for the immune system. When I was a kid, we'd roll around outdoors in all kinds of muck and turn up for dinner absolutely caked in filth. 

When I Were a Lad

Eeeee, when I were a lad, we'd eat fish and chips out of old newspapers and share a gobstopper among mates. We weren't constantly wiped down with antiseptic towelettes by overprotective mothers. Instead, she'd spit a hanky and scrub the mark off your grubby face. 

What's the Real Story?

OK, the food at this restaurant might be to blame, but there are always two sides to every story, right. And most people—especially grumpy middle-aged men—tend to believe what they want to be true. And when that happens, nothing will sway them, even if new evidence points to the contrary.

Stubby

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Good points, but you'll find the filthiest thing on most restaurant tables are smartphones, not the tableware. Scientists at the University of Arizona saw that touchscreens are 10x dirtier than most toilet seats. It's something we should all think about the next time a phone passes hands to look at a snapshot of someone's prawn freaking cocktail. 

Cleanliness Is Next to Godliness—My A*se!

People have become too clean nowadays, and that can't be good for the immune system. When I was a kid, we'd roll around outdoors in all kinds of muck and turn up for dinner absolutely caked in filth. 

When I Were a Lad

Eeeee, when I were a lad, we'd eat fish and chips out of old newspapers and share a gobstopper among mates. We weren't constantly wiped down with antiseptic towelettes by overprotective mothers. Instead, she'd spit a hanky and scrub the mark off your grubby face. 

What's the Real Story?

OK, the food at this restaurant might be to blame, but there are always two sides to every story, right. And most people—especially grumpy middle-aged men—tend to believe what they want to be true. And when that happens, nothing will sway them, even if new evidence points to the contrary.

Stubby

Them were the days

• Haha 1