Does VISA exempt entry change from 45 days to 30 days from 1st October 2021?

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Thai Embassy in London website says still 45 days from 1st October 2021, so they think it's continuing.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?

That website also says 

STV cannot be extended after 30 September 2021. Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**

which is wrong since STV has been extended for a year. So i do not think that website is up to date

As for this topic. What i have heard tomorrow exempt is only 30 days. I really hope i am wrong on this though,,

Edited by thaitero

22 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

*bump*

Waiting to decide on Tourist Visa 60 + 30 days or exempt 45 + 30 days so anyone have news if exempt is now 45 or 30 days?

I have checked a few embassy website and there is still no info about it changing and they still have the September 30th expiration date for them.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:07 AM, treetops said:

Thai Embassy in London website says still 45 days from 1st October 2021, so they think it's continuing.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?

It's since been updated to say only 30 days, so I guess that's our answer

"Holders of British/Irish passports, as well as 54 other nationalities entitled to 30-day visa exemption, can go to Thailand for tourism purpose for up to 30 days without visa."

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

It's since been updated to say only 30 days, so I guess that's our answer

"Holders of British/Irish passports, as well as 54 other nationalities entitled to 30-day visa exemption, can go to Thailand for tourism purpose for up to 30 days without visa."

I really wish that someone who has entered visa exempt in the last four days would post their experiences, telling us how many days they were stamped in for on arrival.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:27 AM, aussiexpat said:

*bump*

Waiting to decide on Tourist Visa 60 + 30 days or exempt 45 + 30 days so anyone have news if exempt is now 45 or 30 days?

I was just going to ask about this. I was about to apply for a TR visa (60+30 days) but then I realised that if the 45 day exempt is extendable it might not make sense to hassle with the TR visa at all. If the 45 exempt is still on, can someone confirm if it's actually 45 + 30 days extension at immigration or has it been 45 + 45, which would make TR visa senseless.  

3 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

can someone confirm if it's actually 45 + 30 days extension at immigration or has it been 45 + 45, which would make TR visa senseless.

It was never 45 + 45, it was 45 + 30. Still haven't seen an official announcement categorically saying it has been rescinded but it was removed from Aussie embassy a day or two ago and a couple of posts above stated it's been removed from Brit embassy so ...

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It was never 45 + 45, it was 45 + 30. Still haven't seen an official announcement categorically saying it has been rescinded but it was removed from Aussie embassy a day or two ago and a couple of posts above stated it's been removed from Brit embassy so ...

Ok thanks, but anyway 45+30 would make TR visa nearly pointless for just 15 days more. Hope they update it soon. Classic nonsense that it was stated to be until Sep 30 and now on Oct 4 still no confirmation.

Edited by ChomDo

6 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Ok thanks, but anyway 45+30 would make TR visa nearly pointless for just 15 days more. Hope they update it soon. Hope they update it soon.

Indeed, it was a good option and disappointing it looks dead. In reality, there's no real need for an official statement (in that it looks like it just did exactly as they stated - upgraded until 1 October) but it would have been nice to include it as clarification when they announced the other changes.

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Indeed, it was a good option and disappointing it looks dead. In reality, there's no real need for an official statement (in that it looks like it just did exactly as they stated - upgraded until 1 October) but it would have been nice to include it as clarification when they announced the other changes.

Well I guess I'll apply for TR in case then. I was going to fill in the COE application online but just noticed that visa application has to be done first. Very confused since I read on most pages that Sandboxers need to apply COE first?

17 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Well I guess I'll apply for TR in case then.

Depends how long plan to stay in Thailand and if applying for a non O after arrival.

Added note. For tourist visa you will need to have flight INTO Thailand as part of the application for the TV.

Edited by DrJack54

As @DrJack54 mentioned, comes down to how long you intend to stay. Cutting it back to 30 days does make the timelines for conversion to retirement without an existing bank account a bit tight but with the available extension/use of an agent no big deal. If looking to head across for 3 months then yeah, bit of a pain.

Do you actually have to upload the visa to get the pre-approval?

It states "1. Copy of Thai visa or re-entry permit (if any). If the applicant does not have a valid visa or re-entry permit, the applicant must submit visa application in requesting the issuance of an appropriate visa directly to the Embassy / Consulate-General (if required)."

Worth trying it without to see what happens.

I was going to book a flight for the end of this month, but this has complicated things.

Visa exempt 45 + 30 seemed like the simplest way to go, since the SETV only gave you 15 more days (60 + 30), but if it's been reduced to 30 + 30 that might change things.

So do I go:

1) Visa exempt - 30 + 30

+ easiest requirements

- shortest time

2) SETV - 60 + 30

+ an extra 30 days

- must provide proof of accomodation (for 60 days?)

- must provide bank statements showing sufficient funds

3) STV - 90 + 90 + 90

+ 9 months in Thailand

- must show paid accomodation for 3 months

- must provide bank statements showing sufficient funds

- extra insurance for 40,000/400,000 baht

- can't convert visa

- I can't actually apply for it yet despite it being announced

Come on Thailand, why not make things a little simpler for people who want to come to Thailand and spend money?

4 hours ago, nkg said:

Come on Thailand, why not make things a little simpler for people who want to come to Thailand and spend money?

Prior to covid it was very easy to come to Thailand and with border runs and extensions very simple.

Currently that is not possible.

Your better off to state how long you wish to stay in Thailand.

Meaning regardless of initial entry, be that visa exempt or tourist visa, what's the plan after that.

Edited by DrJack54

The Thai embassy in US has changed their message on this page 

https://thaiembdc.org/visa_tourist_coe/

U.S. Passport Holders are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days** on each visit or 15-day stays if arriving by land-crossing.

Note I scratched out the 15 days at land borders since it was changed to 30 days years ago when they limited the entries to 2 per calendar year at land border crossings.

They still show 45 days on another page but it does mention that it was going to expire on September 30th which is what has happened since they did not extend the order.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Prior to covid it was very easy to come to Thailand and with border runs and extensions very simple.

Currently that is not possible.

Your better off to state how long you wish to stay in Thailand.

Meaning regardless of initial entry, be that visa exempt or tourist visa, what's the plan after that.

Good question, I appreciate you asking.

I'm not sure how long I will be in Thailand - hopefully 12 months+, spending income from overseas. I can't get one of the usual Non-O visas.

I was happy with the idea of coming in visa exempt, getting a covid extension or two, and then moving onto an ED visa, as I'd like to improve my Thai anyway. The STV is tempting, but unavailable right now, and very inflexible regarding rmoving.

1 hour ago, nkg said:

Good question, I appreciate you asking.

I'm not sure how long I will be in Thailand - hopefully 12 months+, spending income from overseas. I can't get one of the usual Non-O visas.

I was happy with the idea of coming in visa exempt, getting a covid extension or two, and then moving onto an ED visa, as I'd like to improve my Thai anyway. The STV is tempting, but unavailable right now, and very inflexible regarding rmoving.

Without an agent your option is STV..

You say cannot obtain a non O.

What you mean is non O retirement or marriage.

An agent will obtain a non O based on education or volunteering etc and extension.

Agent non O volunteering +extension is expensive.

I would not be hopeful re covid extensions ongoing. 

Goes without saying that deferring trips to Thailand is best option.

Many coming for family so that's understandable. Coming for tourism is strange. 

• 2 weeks later...

This change to 30 days only forced me to apply for eVisa which took almost a week to get in this time with very few tourists!

Had to upload many documents for visa but only uploaded hotel booking for seven days in Phuket.

In the end it forced me to postpone my trip by 5 days because of waiting time for Visa and COE. And they want more tourists?

There are only around 200 tourists from Denmark to Thailand a month at the moment so the Embassy should not be overwhelmed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martin81 said:

This change to 30 days only forced me to apply for eVisa which took almost a week to get in this time with very few tourists!

I got my Multi Entry Tourist Visa today, it took eight days; however, they were closed Wednesday - and they wanted additional documents, which probably delayed the process by a day or two.

Edited by farang51
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, farang51 said:

I got my Multi Entry Tourist Visa today, it took eight days; however, they were closed Wednesday - and they wanted additional documents, which probably delayed the process by a day or two.

This is the first confirmation I have seen that the METV is now again being issued. Which embassy were you applying through? Are the requirements the same as pre-Covid?

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is the first confirmation I have seen that the METV is now again being issued. Which embassy were you applying through? Are the requirements the same as pre-Covid?

I applied using thaievisa.go.th and the embassy in Denmark. The same requirements as before the virus.

• Like 1