So What Brought You To Thailand?

villagefarang

The question was what brought you here, not what kept you here.

I worked in yachting biz in Asia, and because of the easy immigration rules in Thailand I made it my home. Sooo mmmm..... I came here by boat.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When working in the UK, I contracted Aspergillosis from working in a damp, underground office. Every Autumn, I would feel very ill and unable to speak, due to coughing attacks. My doctor advised that there was no cure :o But he did suggest that a warmer climate might help.

I relocated to Thailand in 2002. Apart from a bout of pneumonia (when I visited the UK last Xmas), I have been generally free of this wretched illness and a happy guy!! :D

Simon

When working in the UK, I contracted Aspergillosis from working in a damp, underground office. Every Autumn, I would feel very ill and unable to speak, due to coughing attacks. My doctor advised that there was no cure :o But he did suggest that a warmer climate might help.

I relocated to Thailand in 2002. Apart from a bout of pneumonia (when I visited the UK last Xmas), I have been generally free of this wretched illness and a happy guy!! :D

Simon

<deleted> is Aspergillosis?

Soundman.

<deleted> is Aspergillosis?

Soundman.

(Wikipedia) Aspergillosis has been the culprit in several recent rapid die-offs among waterfowl.
Apparently Simon is a duck. :D

:o:D:D:D

That's the funniest post of the day!!!

Soundman.

Cdnvic - please don't make me laugh like that! I will choke to death . .

I'm sorry Simon. I've been killing myself laughing for over an hour about that comment from cdn. Tears in the eyes. Pity your tag isn't Donald... :o:D

Soundman.

Cdnvic - please don't make me laugh like that! I will choke to death . .

I'm sorry Simon. I've been killing myself laughing for over an hour about that comment from cdn. Tears in the eyes. Pity your tag isn't Donald... :o:D

Soundman.

Yeah, me too. That was a great crack. I was thinking of posting something along the lines of alergy to asperagus or something but can't compete with that.

I met my wife-to-be while studying in the UK. She was a PhD student with a grant from the Thai government, which she had to repay by working as a lecturer in Thailand for 8 years after completing her studies. So it was clear from the beginning that to be with her meant relocating to Thailand, and when the time came I happily did.

Before the big move we did come for holidays, and used that time to knock on doors and find a job for me. That helped a lot with the settling down.

It seems there's 2 categories of guys here, 1. Those who don't drink and/or bother with bars (and/or the girls within) at all and 2. those who do (but maybe don't admit it)

In my observation TV attracts more respectable people than certain other Thailand related forums aimed more at single male vacationers.

I "discovered" Thailand when i took a 6 month world trip alone in 2002-03

I'd seen Thailand on the tv & thought it looked very interesting. I planned to visit Bangkok. Was quite shocked when a pretty girl ran out of a bar (the old soi 10 complex?) & grabbed my arm & wouldn't let go. Had quite an eye opener re the girlie bar scene & a very steep learning curve..... without, i'm pleased to say, any ploblems. I had been undecided where else to visit in Thailand. Just before leaving England i heard news that an old friend i'd lost touch with many years before had a respectable English bar & restaurant in Pattaya.

(that's Mickey at the Elephant & Castle, 2nd Road, Soi 8 for anyone who knows it). So I went to Pattaya to look him up, found him, found Pattaya, made friends, loved it. Had a VERY BIG shock at the girlie scene there. I really had no idea!

Since then i've been back between one and 4 times year. Usually for at least a month during the worst of the English winter. Have traveled in Thailand quite a lot to many different places including Isaan & have become passionate about the country.

I'm allegedly well educated & consider myself a respectable sort, but i'm single & yes i do dip my toe in the water now and again ;-)

I enjoy a few beers, but in moderation. Never touch it until after 10pm.

So as i see it i don't quite fit either category, i'm neither a goody 2 shoes married, tee totaller, nor am i, i hope, a low life scum.

Any girls i get to know usually become friends & i take an interest in them.

In the earlier days it didn't bother me, but now i know more, if i think too much it upsets me what these girls have to do for money as i know most (though not all) HATE what they do. One particular friend was very much forced into it by family pressure. Infact her Mother even brought her to Pattaya on the bus & got her established in a bar.

I am seriously considering moving to Thailand, though the current visa climate, house ownership position, & the many barriers to foreigners carrying out legitimate business worry me. I'm not yet 50.

I'd move tomorrow if i could, but i have many things to be done here in UK before i can, including house refurbishment to finish & a shed full of 60's 70's classic cars all awaiting restoration to be sorted out. Really, more than i can manage alone. (anybody bored & looking for something to do?)

Jonathan

Edited by Lancashirelad

Lancashirelad,

A lot of guys and some women too find it surprising that some guys, like me, just want to chill out on the cheap, don't drink much and are not too impressed by the women there.

a shed full of 60's 70's classic cars all awaiting restoration to be sorted out. Really, more than i can manage alone. (anybody bored & looking for something to do?)

Jonathan

Neither, but if you're serious and you're willing with the shilling, I'll do them for you, good work doesn't come cheap though.

I had just done my first stint in the middle east in 2001 and I figured I would do a couple weeks vacation before I went back to the States. The old salty dogs (former Marines and Sailors ) I met whilst doing contracting work in Kuwait, told me about Thailand & PI like pirates recounting tales of sunken treasure. So I figured I would hit one for a couple weeks. I asked the travel agent which ticket was cheaper and they told me Thailand so I came here. 6 1/2 months later I went back to sell off my things and give my guns to my dad, came back to Thailand and never really left other than for work in the Middle East.

So yes originally it was all about deviant sex tourism, had my fill of all that, now it's about were I feel most happy (and with whom).

Hmm..same same me!

A little R&R trip...got hooked and kept coming back, met a TG...now married for 18 months.

I have bought a house in BKK and land in Issan, already drawing a pension and doing contracting work overseas. Plan is to retire in 5 years to my "farm' in Issan............... :o

• 2 months later...

It is a strange thing "visiting a strange and hot country" and I am not sure you will have heard anything like this, but trust me this is true. I came to Thailand some 6 years ago, or perhaps a bit longer. My wife and I never new anyone here, so a new adventure was starting in our lives, although we had been to many countries in our lifetime at that point. We got of the plane in BKK and I felt something walk straight through me and at that point I new I was home. So for the next 5 or so years I have been back, okay a week with a monk in a cave up a mountain, an attempted murder on my life has strengthened my return to Thailand from the UK and now I am ready to buy the car, build the home and get married in 2008. Okay that was a short version of my life in those years, perhaps a book should be my next plan ??? what do you think Going back to the North East soon Nonmuang, Nongbua Lamphu. Love to hear from anyone with ideas for a home and just to chat about experiences in Thailand. [email protected] or on this site. Thanks Paul

I put Thailand on my round-the-world trip after Uni in UK because of its reputation for beautiful women, beautiful beaches, good nightlife and some culture (in that order). The rest of the trip faded into insignificance. I returned with various people for holidays while working in London...mostly for clubbing and to absorb the beautiful women. At 24 I decided to give myself a kick up the arse, give up on London working monotony and move to Thailand for a trial. Mostly for the...yes, you guessed it.

Seven years on and after starting up a business in UK and managing it from BKK, I'm loving everything about it and married to a beautiful woman, who's given us a beautiful son.

I put Thailand on my round-the-world trip after Uni in UK because of its reputation for beautiful women, beautiful beaches, good nightlife and some culture (in that order). The rest of the trip faded into insignificance. I returned with various people for holidays while working in London...mostly for clubbing and to absorb the beautiful women. At 24 I decided to give myself a kick up the arse, give up on London working monotony and move to Thailand for a trial. Mostly for the...yes, you guessed it.

Seven years on and after starting up a business in UK and managing it from BKK, I'm loving everything about it and married to a beautiful woman, who's given us a beautiful son.

came with a freind 13 years ago fell in love with the place and have never left ,have a daughter ten now ,takes all of my time ,would'nt move for the world .. :o

i love thailand because its so different to australia, turn on the tv and you basically go to america, most australians are of european descendant so europe is nothing amazing.

also the social freedom and acceptance, food, beaches, way of life.

and ofcourse thai girls own the world. or atleast the male part of it.

• 5 weeks later...
I see someone reinvented this thread in a new improved package.

Tut tut tsk tsk - no need to get jealous - everybody gets their turn! :D

Can't I at least be a little teeny tiny bit perturbed and pout a little? :D

No probs at all.

Opening a can of beer works best. :D

Half my posts have been copied (most probably un-intentionally) at one time or another & I just have to accept the fact that like myself, 99% of posters are to lazy or useless to use the search function. :o (No offence intended to anybody)

Cheers.

Thailand was my choice because:

-virtually everybody in Thailand speaks my mother tongue (german) therefore avoiding the communication problems which i faced during the 15 years i lived in the U.S. of A. where a lot of inhabitants have european ancestors but do not speak any european language. if i meet a Thai who does not speak german i switch to french or spanish... et voilà!

-the U.S. issued twice a visa valid for 10 years but with limited stays. every 6 months we had to take a flight abroad which was quite bothersome. here in Thailand we got an indefinite residence permit on arrival and i think it includes a work permit too (not quite sure).

-buying property in the U.S. was a real hassle. a zillion papers to sign at the closing notary, dealing with escrow accounts, title search, hurricane and flood insurance, etc., etc., etc. buying property in Thailand IT is a breeze. you hand over the bag with the cash, sign two dozen documents and the property is yours. the easiest way for a foreigner is to buy land and built your own home on the land. in no country on this planet you have more fun and satisfaction that work is well done during construction period. thai workers are willing and follow your instructions to the last dot. they don't need supervisors. in other countries you have to stand behind the workers and frequently shout "NOT LIKE THIS!" an interesting but for most readers a boring fact that the work(wo)men from Isaan Province speak all french if they don't speak german.

shall i go on with my reasons "why Thailand?"

:o

-virtually everybody in Thailand speaks my mother tongue (german) therefore avoiding the communication problems which i faced during the 15 years i lived in the U.S. of A. where a lot of inhabitants have european ancestors but do not speak any european language. if i meet a Thai who does not speak german i switch to french or spanish... et voilà!

-the U.S. issued twice a visa valid for 10 years but with limited stays. every 6 months we had to take a flight abroad which was quite bothersome. here in Thailand we got an indefinite residence permit on arrival and i think it includes a work permit too (not quite sure).

-buying property in the U.S. was a real hassle. a zillion papers to sign at the closing notary, dealing with escrow accounts, title search, hurricane and flood insurance, etc., etc., etc. buying property in Thailand IT is a breeze. you hand over the bag with the cash, sign two dozen documents and the property is yours. the easiest way for a foreigner is to buy land and built your own home on the land. in no country on this planet you have more fun and satisfaction that work is well done during construction period. thai workers are willing and follow your instructions to the last dot. they don't need supervisors. in other countries you have to stand behind the workers and frequently shout "NOT LIKE THIS!" an interesting but for most readers a boring fact that the work(wo)men from Isaan Province speak all french if they don't speak german.

where did you find your builders .............

In about 1975, I read an article in the now defunct 'Oui Magazine', a Playboy publication, entitled "Horny Huns Invade Bangkok", about German sex tourism in Thailand. At 25, my hormones were abundant, and I dreamed about it, but was too busy popping in and out of school and career to actually make the trip.

Then, in 1981 or so, while working evenings in a hospital, I found myself unwinding in Hollywood CA, after my shift ended. It was well after 1 AM, and the only restaurant open, in the area that is now Thaitown, was a place called Siam. I ate my first Thai food there, late at night, surrounded by 'hip' people, and not a few celebrities. I tried several other restaurants in the area, and then one day I met Oi, who would become my first Thai girlfriend. She was working as a waitress, illegally (of course), and had a student visa that was due to expire the following January. She was in full possession of her Thai girl charms, and I was totally defenseless.

We became quite serious, and when she finally had to leave, I went home with her, to meet her parents in a house on Sathupradit Rd., in Yannawa, Bangkok. This was around New Year's 1982.

I stayed at a small hotel near her parents house, and we saw each other every day. She took me to a few temples, and we ate a lot of street food, but I never was out of her sight, and while I knew of Patpong and Saphan Kwai, I never had a chance to go. And it was OK, because I was really in love with her.

After three weeks, I returned to the US, and she stayed in Thailand. Eventually, she got another visa, and came back to LA, and we continued our relationship, but, eventually, we split up.

I didn't return to Thailand for the next 15 years.

Then, in 1996, I came back for a vacation. I remember thinking I would make up for lost time in the bars, but being really disappointed in the whole scene, and giving up on it. I had a serious damsel-rescue complex, and, of course, got taken in by a young dancer from Nana's Voodoo Bar, who I eventually corresponded with, and sent money upon my return.

Meanwhile, I traveled to Chiang Mai to see an old friend, and started to get a glimpse of life in the real Thailand. I began to fall in love with the place, and it was the beginning of a faint notion that I would someday live here.

After I returned to the US, the rescue complex caused me no end of grief, and I began to really work out just what was going on. I wiggled out of my 'arrangement' with the Voodoo girl, but I will admit that, to this day, I have to be careful not to fall into the same trap. It is a trap of my own psyche, and, I now gather, of many Westerners who come to live here.

In the US, I went to the local wat to continue my Thai study, and to try to understand what it was about Thailand that I want to continue to experience.

After an average of a month a year in Thailand for the next nine years, I finally decided to make the move in Nov. 2005, and have never been happier. Looking back, my reasons have changed, as I have changed, but in the end, it's the lifestyle, the lack of daily confrontation and stress, and the grace, however superficial, of the Thai people I see most days.

As for the sex, I have to agree with the earlier poster, who prefers the 'scene' in Latin countries. The P4P scene and the bars are not nearly as much fun as the 25 year old kid once thought they would be, and there is a certain, but understandable, lack of intensity in Thai sexuality, at least as I have experienced it. But I look at sex as scratching an itch, and it is still a plus for me that it is as available, in as many forms, as it is here. The key is balance...

I have now met the one, she needs no rescuing, and she helps me keep my 'balance', as it were, if I know what's good for me.

Sateev

[edit:sp]

Edited by Sateev

How do you spell 'windup' in Klingon? :D

-s