So What Brought You To Thailand?

villagefarang

Some people have a vision of ex-pats as lowlifes and scum but I think it takes an adventurers spirit to leave the security of ones own cultural environment and venture into unknown territory. I have met many more interesting people here than I ever would have back home. No matter how diverse our backgrounds we all share the common status of foreigners in a foreign land. If this thread gets off the ground I will gladly share my own experience of how I got here.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came here three years ago to visit my brother and just fell in love with the place. I resolved during that trip to go back to Canada, finish up my Education degree and hound the international schools in BKK until I got a job. I did exactly that, and now have lived here for ten months. What's more, I have just signed a two-year contract at another international school, so Bangkok will have me for at least that much longer.

To answer your question, however, it is the Thai people themselves that I enjoy so much about this place. My brother's wife (who is Thai) has always been the most accomodating person, but I thought it was just because we were family. It turns out that complete strangers have the same degree of kindness here in LOS.

I know that many posters will be quick to pounce on me, saying that I haven't yet glimsped the undercurrent of greed and manipulation in the heart of all Thais. To counter that, all I can say is that I've been beaten and robbed in Bangkok, yet I still maintain that the citizens of this country are nicer than anywhere I've ever been. Remember, I hail from that land of 'polite-to-a-fault' citizens: Canada.

BFD!

PS: How do you make a Canadian apologize?

Step on his foot.

I met my wife in university in Australia through a mutual friend. We went out for many years. When the talk of marriage came up, she said the only way that will happen is if you decide to move to Thailand.

Took two trips to thailand over the next six months to be sure. Made the decision & moved to live (and marry) in Thailand.

First year & a half was a living hel_l (almost went crazy) - nearly didn't work out. After that everything has been good.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I came here to work in my chosen profession 10 years ago. I have always known I wanted to work in real estate and have done so since I was 16 (Saturday work, Board Boy, at an Estate Agents).

One year out of University (Valuation Surveying) the property market was very slow (negative equity everywhere) in my home town and I was missing my independence from University life. So I decided to look for work elsewhere. I applied to several jobs throughout the UK and one in Bangkok (without really giving it any serious consideration). Much to my amazement out of a pile of 200 resumes I was accepted for an interview and within 4 weeks, at 23, I was on a plane to Thailand (much to the dismay of my Mother).

I really didn't know much about Thailand before I came over, (I was very green), and only knew the MD who had interviewed me but the fact that it was so unknown and different to what I was used (deepest darkest Devon) was part of the appeal. A grand adventure with a two year contract with a respected firm sounded good and I thought if it didn't work out and I was young enough to start over anyway, ten years on and I find myself married and not looking back, for now, (never say never).

Edited by quiksilva

quiksilva,

Great story and thanks for sharing! Here is mine.

In 1975 I was studying at university and working part time, with the now defunct Air Siam, for work experience and the perk of free travel. I took my first trip overseas while I was still 20. I took a loop thru Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand and the Philippines and back home. The hormones were raging and I lived my high school jock fantasies on that first trip. But that was a different time and place. Things were actually very different back then. There were 3 tall buildings in Bangkok, the Indra, Dusit, and Chokechai. All 3 are hardly visible on the present skyline. Things then were much more conservative and controlled than now. Even had midnight curfews part of the time not just bar closing times. Farang stereotypes were more negative, access to polite society more limited and the visa rules changed with even more frequency than today and frequent coups. Some like to reminisce about the good old days but not me. I'm glad to have been here all these years and enjoyed watching the changes but always consider "now" to be the best time.

Every time I questioned what I was doing living in a foreign land, some new door would open and I would move on to my next phase of life in Thailand.

Met and married the wife in the US, came back to Thailand on a trip, & on the flight home, my wife in Tears said, "promise me we will move here." In a moment of weakness I vowed to do so. Was there any mention of the mandate of moving back to Thailand before marriage? NO

So after 6 years in the states and saving up our money we made the move. Would I do it again? Heck no! But I have to make the best of it.

My wife.

I did not meet my wife in thailand. My wife introduced me to thailand.

I first came to thailand in 1992 on a group tour with a chinese girlfriend. We only went to tourist places. I did not like it at all. Most thais I met were rude and just after my money.

But getting married to my thai wife in 1999, I started exploring thailand and found a lot of things I like. I feel very relaxed when I am in thailand. Everything seems so tranquil and not too serious. I know there are a lot of violence around actually though and it could be dangerous at times. But I find it not too difficult to avoid.

I admit I have never actually lived here. I am sure if I actually lived or worked here there will be a lot of things getting on my nerves.

But there are good and bad things everywhere. Not all good people are all good, same not all bad people are all bad. You just have to try to enjoy the good things from people and avoid the bads in order to enjoy life. I agree that one needs to be able to protect oneself in thailand.

Oh, did I go off topic?

Edited by meemiathai

I used to come quarterly to visit the Bkk office of the firm I work for, one of 11 I look after in my job. I hated the place to start with.

After a few trips I found myself extending my stay and on at least two occasions I deliberately missed my flight back to Sydney to extend the trip.

One fateful night I decided to go home, quit the job and take a year out up here.

I told my boss the following day, and he said 'don't be daft . . .just relocate there.'

So I did.

I did contract work all over Asia, came within an inch of marrying a Korean lady.

After the crash Asian work dried up so I ended up moving to Italy, met my wife in a Thai restaurant in Rome (actually it was engineered by a mutual friend). Moved up to Brussels.

Finally in 2004 Euro work ended too, so the descision had to be made, UK and live like paupers or Thailand and live like paupers but for a lot longer, Thailand won.

As it happens Asia is once again booming so all the work is out this way, best of both worlds :o:D

Don't intend moving base again.

Spent 15 years with my uk girlfriend never married anyone we had a house each , we alsobought land in Spain (i owned this solely) and madeira ( bought between us), Madeira was to build 5 self catering villas for tourists and we planned to move there. She was looking after her 93 year old Father and it drove her dooo lally she got very depressed and said she wanted us to split , I literally got off the plane coming back from madeira and she blurted it out when I got home and that was it slept in car for two nights etc. Didnt speak for 6 months etc now best of friends her dad died. In fact when my wife came over she went out with her daily and now I live back with her now thats what u call a good friend.

I was looking for a holiday and stumbled on Thai love links signed up for 1 month. I didnt come looking for prostitutes in fact I knew almost nothing of Thailand but I had always loved Asian women since early school days. Chatted to many before coming weeded them down to four , met them all , all were very nice polite and didnt lie about their situations or what they did, they were all different none were bargirls all had jobs I met most at thier workplaces. married one after 12 months we started a business never been better. She is very honest and I think not typically Thai in many respects.

Ive never been to a bar (dont drink) never been with a bargirl, had no cons pulled on me yet and 2 years ago had never been here.

Couldnt ask for a nicer person in my wife.

Split time between Uk and Thailand generally 4-6 months in Thailand the rest in the Uk until permanently liiving in Thailand.

I came and stayed for the abundance of cheap and willing prostitutes.

at least reading between the lines is not needed. :D

i came for the culture & the high quality plastic chairs. :o

Edited by uptou

I came and stayed for the abundance of cheap and willing prostitutes.

at least reading between the lines is not needed. :D

i came for the culture & the high quality plasic chairs. :o

I came for the lack of pre-planning and lack of organization, which has reduced my stress level by 90%.

I came to Thailand in 2004 & fell in love with the laidback life style. After 11 years in Hawaii I got used to beaches & heat,so Thailand was a great place to be.

Feeling like I hit the top of my game as a sucessfull mechanic- autobodyman & Wedding photoghrapher

I was ready to level my playing field & not be the Bossman. It was a very good choice!

That & a horrible destructive relationship to a girl that would have hunted me down like a dog in the streets if I moved back to California helped prompt a new lifestyle. Always been the adventuring type.

Did I mention the girls are pretty hot out here as well! Didn't take long to get hooked up to a great gal in Pattaya & no we didn't meet in a beer bar.

Thailand rocks .....even with the Minor inconvieniences & have met some very kind hearted as well as spirited individuals in this forum

Beardog

Came to study why Thai people have a chrome deficiency in their bodies. Apparently they can absorb chrome through their skin. Rubbing their body against chrome poles may alieviate the problem - but for many people it takes years.

My study is still in progress.

Peter

Came to study why Thai people have a chrome deficiency in their bodies. Apparently they can absorb chrome through their skin. Rubbing their body against chrome poles may alieviate the problem - but for many people it takes years.

Peter

:D:o:D I like the honesty in some of these answers......

Peter

:D:o:D I like the honesty in some of these answers......

Just because some didn't come to buy sex doesn't make them less honest. :D

I came here on holiday with Thai friends from the UK and liked it. I soon realised that due to tax loopholes I could afford a nice apartment with a great lifestyle and still make profit from living here just from the tax breaks. What more incentives could you need? Met the wife through a mutual friend and have been happily married ever since.

Could have been oh so different as I tossed a coin to decide whether to come to Thailand with one set of friends or take up another offer of a trip to the Philippines.

Heads it was.

I came to Thailand in 2004 & fell in love with the laidback life style. After 11 years in Hawaii I got used to beaches & heat,so Thailand was a great place to be.

Beardog

Hey Beardog, I lived in Honolulu for a 3-year stretch in the mid-90s and loved every minute of it. Where did you live? I remember it being US$800 per month to rent a studio (on Kuhio & Uluniu) there - so hate to think how much it would cost now...assuming of course I ever decided to go back.