So What Brought You To Thailand?

villagefarang

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What brought me to Thailand?

The Buddhist calendar.

Remember the great Y2K fiasco in 1999? I was a systems engineer and thought it would be great to ride out the psuedo-crisis in a country that had solved y2k calendar problem 543 years earlier! While my colleagues were sitting in data centers staring at monitors, I was here having a blast.

Oh, and the temples.

• 1 month later...

I started a similar thread yesterday on the Chiang Mai forum. I didn't realize this one existed or I wouldn't have. I seldom go searching for threads that are 2 years old.

After my second marriage ended I came to Thailand on the invitation of a friend who is a part time expat who spends half the year in Thailand and half the year in Canada. I came for the easy sex and stayed because I love the freedom of the country. It is cheap and easy to live in Thailand and nobody really bothers you. You are on your own and have to have your wits on full alert to keep you safe. It's like a real live video game where the idea is trying to stay alive while living life to the fullest. I'm a confirmed bachelor and have no intention of ever changing that again.

So What Brought You To Thailand?, Work, love, travel, adventure, sex, drugs, perversion?

...non of these!

rather a combination (of):

-cheap organic fruts\vegs (being a only-raw-food-diet vegetarian) (MAJOR CAUSE)

-hot climate round-the-year (got mad digging my auto out of snow each&every morning! :D  God,forgive me, i  am russian :D )

-fresh air unpolluted air

...happily living in CM :) !!!

So What Brought You To Thailand?, Work, love, travel, adventure, sex, drugs, perversion?

...non of these!

rather a combination (of):

-cheap organic fruts\vegs (being a only-raw-food-diet vegetarian) (MAJOR CAUSE)

-hot climate round-the-year (got mad digging my auto out of snow each&every morning! :D God,forgive me, i am russian :D )

-fresh air unpolluted air

...happily living in CM :) !!!

Always wondered. Does raw food include vodka? (I know, Off Topic :D )

Edited by villagefarang

I came to get my hands on a beautiful Thai woman. Still amazes me that I ended up with a butt-ugly one!

:D:D

I'm sure you two are a perfect match :D

Like it! I'm actually a handsome man, with an ugly butt :)

And that makes you unique, how? :D

I came to get my hands on a beautiful Thai woman. Still amazes me that I ended up with a butt-ugly one!

:D:D

I'm sure you two are a perfect match :D

Like it! I'm actually a handsome man, with an ugly butt :)

And that makes you unique, how? :D

You mean i'n not the only man with an ugly butt? That's my day ruined!

BTW I stopped in Thailand for 5 days in 2002 on my way to Australia for a 3 month break. Did the bar thing but also did the temple thing too. I felt very drawn to this place and the people (don't have a rational explanation). Anyways, I get to Oz and the 1st person I met became a good friend and guess what? He's off to Thailand the next month to get married. I ended up cutting Oz short and spending the time in LOS. He asked me to his wedding, in Isaanland, as best man (absolutely no-one else available!). It was a chance to see more of Thailand than I ever thought possible as I've not really been a great traveller. Lo and behold his wife to be had a best friend. We've been married 7 years now. I really love it here and i've never been happier anywhere. Plus i've only been ripped of for 15,000 baht in 7 years from a cousin whom the family no longer talk to...bargain!

Regards,

beerchang

Some people have a vision of ex-pats as lowlifes and scum but I think it takes an adventurers spirit to leave the security of ones own cultural environment and venture into unknown territory. I have met many more interesting people here than I ever would have back home. No matter how diverse our backgrounds we all share the common status of foreigners in a foreign land. If this thread gets off the ground I will gladly share my own experience of how I got here.

I came here 2yrs back because my wife,who had been living in Oz for 13yrs.,missed her family,culture,people and most of all she starting to be burdened by guilt that she was not taking any part in the

care of her aging Grandmother who had raised her.She didn't ask,she never would,but I could see it.I saw it as the greatest gift I could give to somebody I love.It was a great move I love it here.

Edited by kimincm

Understandably, some cannot resist the one-liners when threads like this come along. I really do appreciate the last two entries here. Not long-winded but informative and good examples of real life. The success stories are sometime reluctant to post on TV for fear of ridicule. As the OP I'm glad this Topic got aired-out and refreshed, with some new posts and feel-good stories.

It wasn't work because I had a job that I loved in Canada that doesn't have a parallel anywhere else in the world. I was a government Log scaler who estimated the value of logs before they were processed. It wasn't love because I had just ended a marriage with a woman I still loved but didn't love me. I guess it could include travel and adventure, but there were many places that I might have chosen before Thailand. Nobody would admit to perversion, and drugs are much easier to obtain where I live. That leaves sex.

However, sex can't consume every hour of the day and there has to be a lot more to a country to keep anybody interested for more than just a short holiday. I discovered it was easy to meet pretty Thai ladies and have them guide me around the country to places I might not otherwise visit. Not knowing the Thai language presents a barrier to easy travel and having someone willing to show you the real Thailand is a bonus. Being with someone for a few weeks can form a lasting friendship if nobody screws it up. Love may or may not follow. In my case I met a woman's family and fell in love with two of her three children. The oldest girl was 11 at the time I first met her and she was a little too old and reserved to form a bond with me. But, with the two youngest ones I formed a lasting friendship that continues today... 5 years later. Had it just been the mother then our friendship would have ended a week after we first met. We had only one thing in common.

Because I also found a friend in Chiang Mai who enjoys fishing as much as me I satisfied one of my other serious interests. Jon showed me places in Thailand I never would have discovered on my own; or, have the connections to make it happen.

I'm still laughing at the Russian dude that thinks the air is clean in Chiang Mai :D:D ....ok dude, just admit it, you came here to get out of the cold & eat the fresh veggies, just like tens of thousands of other russian dudes :D ....ohh and to swap Olga for Ning. :)

Edited by neverdie

Why do people think of expats in Thailand as perverts? The largest forum for expats having an advert for ladyboys right on the top of the page won't exactly help them think otherwise. What on earth is that all about?

Myself - I came here for medication amd meditation. Many years ago after my visa expired in India, Thailand was the ideal choice for a drug-addicted alcoholic trying to recover through meditation and Buddhism. Thailand is an ideal place for an active alcoholic and also, thank God, and ideal place to recover.

Whatever I came for, I was misinformed ...

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed.

Edited by Jingthing

Something struck me while rereading this topic. Whereas many visitors may resemble well known clichés, those of us who have made Thailand our home, are anything but clichés. Our reasons for both coming and staying are wide and varied. It is truly amazing how different the path, to our similar destination.

Something struck me while rereading this topic. Whereas many visitors may resemble well known clichés, those of us who have made Thailand our home, are anything but clichés. Our reasons for both coming and staying are wide and varied. It is truly amazing how different the path, to our similar destination.

Five to one, baby

One in five

No one here gets out alive

Five to one, baby

One in five

I've got to say you completely lost me with this one.

Five to one, baby

One in five

I've got to say you completely lost me with this one.

Just confirms what some people have said... many of those that come to Thailand are just a little "different". Few expats in Thailand are conformists, at least not from some of the posts on these forums. It makes for "interesting" people who usually have a story to tell.

[quote name='jackmuu'

Could have been oh so different as I tossed a coin to decide whether to come to Thailand with one set of friends or take up another offer of a trip to the Philippines.

Heads it was.

Be very glad you didn't come to the Philippines!!