Hua Hin: Man murders friend after he loses face in drinking argument

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Ban Muang

Early yesterday morning the Hua Hin police received notification of the murder of a man outside some old rented rooms in Thap Tai sub-district.

Found dead from head wounds inflicted by a knife was Uan Lepanakul, 59.

The assailant was 58 year old Buasi who was soon arrested along with a bloodstained Sparta knife and taken on a reenactment, reported Ban Muang.

Buasi said that he had been drinking with the victim and both were very drunk.

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Ban Muang

He had mentioned Uan's new wife whom he knew previously and Uan took umbrage at this.

He lost face at being chased out of the drinking party so he decided to drive his motorcycle home and get a Sparta knife. 

He then attacked his drinking buddy and killed him. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It comes down to perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have. The pathological fear of losing face. Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? A so called drinking buddy? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, a man or woman is made a far lesser person. I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches the need for introspection, contemplation, owning up to a problem, and taking responsibility for issues, problems and tragedies that you create in life.

As many of us know, a percentage of the Thai population lives within fairly small boxes, of social convention, traditions and expectations, especially on the part of the family. That is not a life that some of us choose. Those that are bold and courageous, will find a way to break past conventions, and live a fulfilling life, based on their own choices, independence, and self esteem.

Perhaps the definition of a real man? Does a real man kill someone over a perceived slight, or is that simply a 13 year old, who looks and smells like a real man? 

It looks like the biggest cultural problem in the LOS.

You experience it almost every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again.

The same thing applies with social media. Total strangers, people you have never met, who you will never meet, who don't know you, throw out abuse and the victim goes into meltdown, even to the extent of killing themself. Why? I just don't get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

In Thailand it mostly means long bladed knives like these. Not something you want your 'drinking buddy' to attack you with.

Screenshot 2021-10-03 at 09.11.44.jpg

Thanks you. First time I ever heard of long blades knives being connected to Sparta or the Spartans.  But I guess King Leonidas might have a comment if he was still alive. 

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Thanks you. First time I ever heard of long blades knives being connected to Sparta or the Spartans.  But I guess King Leonidas might have a comment if he was still alive. 

I've no idea either why in Thailand they call them Sparta Knives (มีดสปาต้า - 'meed Sparta', though actually 'Spata' would be more accurate because there's no ร์ in สปาต้า).

One of those things like why they call a backhoe a 'Rot Makro' (รถแม็คโคร - not a 'Rot Backhoe') ...

(note to self: must get out more).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:
22 hours ago, Catoni said:

What is a “Sparta” knife ? ?

Spartan knife is almost any fixed blade knife, oh just google it !

Now he's got to google "Google" in order to google "Sparta"!   This new-fangled internet thing is so difficult.

Edited by Liverpool Lou