Atm Cashpoints Communication Error!

kevc

We have a UK bank account which we get funds transfered into to withdraw in Thailand, yesterday I went to three ATMs and the message came up communication error, tried this morning same thing. I met a friend just back from Samui he had a problem withdrawing on his Visa card and they told him they've stopped all transactions because of fraud, but they could wire him some money. Anyone had the same problems or have an explanation.

Possibly could be fraud. Ring the bank and find out.

But I've also noticed, around the end of the month and beginning of the new month (when people generally get paid), ATM's sometimes get 'locked' so that ATM cards from 'other' banks can't be used. It is done to prevent a rush on cash at the ATM machine.

From my experience communication error usually means the ATM or bank has connection problems with whatever server the banks use for foreign transactions. Try again later today or tomorrow and you may find everything works fine again.

If my card has been blocked for any reason I get a contact the bank message.

"Communication Error" is a blanket message that occurs when the ATM doesn't have a message more specific to whatever has gone wrong (I got this information from a SCB technician who had the guts out of the other ATM at our bank).

I've had it occur when my card has been blocked by my bank (overseas usage stopped), it also seems to occur (on certain ATMs) when I have exceeded my daily withdrawal allowance, so I suggest a call to your bank should be your first option.

Of course, it could even be a 'real' communication error :o

Edited by Crossy

I would like to bet that your bank have blocked your card, happened to me a few times now, they put a block on it until you call them and let them know that you are in LOS and that it is indeed you who is drawing money.

On all occassions that this has happened to me, "communication error" was the on screen message

yes..i used to get communication error when my bank had put a hold on my account for security reasons. If that is the case, a quick call will sort it out.

I no longer have this problem, because yesterday when an error came up the stupid atm swallowed my card. I suggest when you are withdrawing cash you take from an ATM that is attached to a bank, so that you can ask management to retrieve it for you. Unfortunately it seems to be Thailands policy to not return your card, so use my bad experience as a caution for yourself!

This question was asked in the Phuket Gazette many months ago now. The reply from the bank in question, was that the ATM machines are programmed to only dispense cash to Thai card holders after the machine' s stock of money has reached a certain limit.

geoffphuket

• 13 years later...
On 6/1/2007 at 5:49 AM, Crossy said:

"Communication Error" is a blanket message that occurs when the ATM doesn't have a message more specific to whatever has gone wrong (I got this information from a SCB technician who had the guts out of the other ATM at our bank).

I've had it occur when my card has been blocked by my bank (overseas usage stopped), it also seems to occur (on certain ATMs) when I have exceeded my daily withdrawal allowance, so I suggest a call to your bank should be your first option.

Of course, it could even be a 'real' communication error :o

Could be an internet problem as th ATM's use pretty insecure communications

Many things have changed in the 13 years since this thread was last updated so much of the content is outdated so I'm going to close this one.

If you really need an ATM thread I suggest you start a new one.

:mfr_closed1: