One officer killed in clash with insurgents in Thailand’s Narathiwat province

webfact

Narathiwas.jpg

An army officer was killed in a firefight with insurgents hiding in a forest peat swamp in the southern border province of Narathiwat on Saturday night, as government forces tightened up their control of the area to prevent the insurgents from escaping.

Today (Sunday), Lt-Gen Kriangkrai Srilak, commander of the southern 4th Army Region, expressed condolences to the family of Lt Krisana Petchamras, who was fatally wounded in a clash with some of the insurgents who tried to break away from the six day siege of the swamp.

An excavator has been used by security forces to clear the thick undergrowth on the edge of the swamp, so they can get a better view of the scene.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/one-officer-killed-in-clash-with-insurgents-in-thailands-narathiwat-province/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 3

RIP he paid the ultimate price doing his job, he was not responsible for politics of state his job was to defend the state no matter who is in charge.  What happens in Bangkok and commissioning of equipment for the navy is way beyond his pay grade and posts with such mentions are highly inappropriate

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Another wasted life. Thai policy in the Deep South over the last century a lose lose for everyone.

An autonomous status for the region would be in everyone's best interest. I live in one of the provinces, but for me it likely wouldn't make much of a difference. Still, many people desire such self-determination.

2 hours ago, MarcelV said:

An autonomous status for the region would be in everyone's best interest. I live in one of the provinces, but for me it likely wouldn't make much of a difference. Still, many people desire such self-determination.

Thailand took the poisoned chalice for face reasons from the British who offered back those bits of the Unfederated Malay States that they didn't want as a sop. Thailand ceded the other Unfederated States in perpetuity and the government got a soft British loan to complete the build out of the railway system. It would have been much better to have left them with the British to become part of Malaysia. The Malays look over the border and see how much more prosperous they are, while the Thai government doesn't spend on development in what is regarded as a rebellious, unsafe region. Since Malaysia doesn't want the burden of this under developed region and it is unviable as a country, the only hope for them is a higher degree of autonomy. 

• Like 1