Clarification of Questions in eVisa Applications

Searched everywhere, read 16 pages on topics and I couldn't find the answers anywhere...  and of course the application process needs to be ridiculously complicated. and nobody answers the phone at the Thai Embassy or consulate.

Maybe the answers are clear and I am just slow, but here goes:

1) "Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency."  - what are they looking for here? A drivers license? A utility bill?

2) For anyone who has applied for the STV, it seems to ask for proof that you have paid in advance for accommodations for your entire stay-

a) Firstly, that seems excessive... given that one could be staying up to 270 days..?

b) And they want you to pre-pay for this accommodation before you even know if you'll be approved for the visa and COE?

c) Are you expected to have your entire 9 month stay planned out before you leave? 

Surely I'm missing something...?

1) This is only required if you are not applying from a country in which you are a citizen.

2) I believe you only need to show where you are staying for the first 90 days. There is no assumption that you will use the extensions. It is not difficult to find refundable hotel bookings.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

1) This is only required if you are not applying from a country in which you are a citizen.

2) I believe you only need to show where you are staying for the first 90 days. There is no assumption that you will use the extensions. It is not difficult to find refundable hotel bookings.

Thanks for the information. I believe the question "Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.) " applies to your #1 answer. There is another question (#9) which is the one i posted about earlier. 

I guess I could make a few refundable bookings for the STV. 3 x 30 day stays or something.

I think the STV is generally considered to be unreasonable, which is why few people use it.

If going for a shorter stay, the alternative visas make much more sense:

Tourist visa -60 days + 30 day extension at immigration

O-visa (over 50s)  -90 days + 30 day extension at immigration

6 hours ago, jaizan said:

O-visa (over 50s)  -90 days + 30 day extension at immigration

There is no 30 day extension for any non immigrant visa. Only tourist and visa exempt entries can be expended for 30 days.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 30 day extension for any non immigrant visa. Only tourist and visa exempt entries can be expended for 30 days.

Thank you.  That's useful to know. 

With all the different visa types it would be rather good if the authorities could summarize the key points of them all in a good old fashioned table.  

Edited by jaizan

For anyone who is interested, here is the response i got from the embassy by email:

You have to show  Alternative Quarantine (AQ) hotel confirmation OR SHA+ standard hotel confirmation (SHABA Certificate) for Phuket Sandbox Programme and at least 2 weeks of confirmation as proof for accommodation after quarantine.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you.   Is there anything logical as a table which explains which visas can get which extensions ?        I know "logical" is a rather ambitious term for Thai visas.

What's the least difficult way for someone over 50 to go to between 90 and 120 days ?    

4 hours ago, jaizan said:

Thank you.   Is there anything logical as a table which explains which visas can get which extensions ?        I know "logical" is a rather ambitious term for Thai visas.

For a non immigrant visa entry mosts extension are for one year (retirement, working, marriage to a Thai and etc).

The exceptions are 90 day extension for attending a informal school or a one year a formal school. And 90 days or one year for working as volunteer.

The there is a 60 day extension to visa your Thai wife or child that can be applied for visa exempt, tourist visa or a non immigrant visa.

Then there are up to 90 day extensions for medical treatment that can be applied for with type of visa entry or visa exempt.