Alleged female fraudster in custody after US company is defrauded of 47 million baht in face mask scam

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported the arrest of Ariya Phanwongsa who was named in a warrant for fraud under false pretences and using false documents issued by the Phrakhanong criminal court in Bangkok on 19th August this year.

She was apprehended early morning yesterday at apartment 180 in Ban Suan Rim Khlong in Suan Luang district of the Thai capital.

Her arrest followed a complaint by US company ABA USB Corp that they had ordered 1.3 million face masks for just over 47 million baht between March and May last year.

They paid but received nothing and contacted the Thai police for action.

asean_now_BB.jpg

If a US company got scammed that amount in such a ridiculous scheme with no guarantee, by THAT woman, then it is mind boggling!

Looks can be deceiving, but she does seem to be a bit of a scapegoat here. 

Looking forward to the whole story, but I don't believe we'll ever get it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is this company stupid or what? to front up all the money before they see any of the products? so suckers do get born every day i see...

Its a sign of the times we now live in, where goods are traded online with little or no inspection performed by the buyer.

I guess the greed factor just took over, and they placed a large order to get the benefits.

Pretty dumb.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Its a sign of the times we now live in, where goods are traded online with little or no inspection performed by the buyer.

I guess the greed factor just took over, and they placed a large order to get the benefits.

Pretty dumb.

On the phone: I think I've screwed up mom.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Her arrest followed a complaint by US company ABA USB Corp that they had ordered 1.3 million face masks for just over 47 million baht between March and May last year.

They paid but received nothing and contacted the Thai police for action.

How dumb were they.

I have a feeling her role was that of a mule or an intermediary. She was probably offered a couple of thousand baht in exchange for using her account to receive the wired funds. By the time an investigation is under way, the principal fraudsters would have partied til they dropped in Lagos.

4 hours ago, rwill said:

about 36 baht per mask is not that good of a deal for such a large order.

At that time last year the US had huge problems getting masks and protective equipment. Robert Craft ,the owner of the Patriots football team even had his private plane fly to China twice to get masks.

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Pretty dumb.

This is correct . If we cast our minds back to the beginning of the epidemic there was shortages of PPE . My friend was trying to get me to sell rubber gloves made in Malaysia but when checking the prices they were half the price on Amazon ???? if only he would of come to me with a price half of the Amazon price I might of been interested and I could of ended up in the same place as this women . All for a quick buck