Air Carriage Rule On Liquid Display Enforced Today

george

yet again we have people on this site in denial - there was and there is a major Jihadist threat to kill innocent people by major acts of terrorism on international airliners carrying hundreds and hundreds of innocent men, women and children. The threat by liquid explosion was revealed last August and dominated Western media at that time and was planned for UK / USA flights during late summer . Moreover there are at least 1000 people in the UK under surveillance at the moment- God knows how many others accross the world. It is a matter of time before terrorists find a weak spot in LOS as they did in Bali when they murdered hundreds of holidaymakers.

Get real folks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one don't care what the airports are asking me to do. I'll do it!

I, as many others, only make these flights when I need to, therefore, I want to arrive in one piece at my destination.

So, if they are asking me to do triple backflips I'm going to try, at least, and hopefully they'll let me on their planes when they quit laughing at my efforts!

yet again we have people on this site in denial - there was and there is a major Jihadist threat to kill innocent people by major acts of terrorism on international airliners carrying hundreds and hundreds of innocent men, women and children. The threat by liquid explosion was revealed last August and dominated Western media at that time and was planned for UK / USA flights during late summer . Moreover there are at least 1000 people in the UK under surveillance at the moment- God knows how many others accross the world. It is a matter of time before terrorists find a weak spot in LOS as they did in Bali when they murdered hundreds of holidaymakers.

Get real folks.

All this info you're getting comes from the main stream media and you should know just by living here how select ( at the nicest possible level)the media can be. let alone totally bais, or with some not so obvious agenda. Theres a well know word for it all Propaganda...........

The fact is that its all based on a trumped up story to get us frightened and continue this crazy war on terror. It was barely mentioned that the houses raided in conjunction with this saga resulted in no liquid explosive being found (only traditional electronic materials found) and the Home secretary admitted as much. However as usual this was almost completely ignored in the mainstream media. Meanwhile we get all the inconvenience and worry caused by such stories. Anyone remember all the cold war rubbish that was spouted? 1984 anyone?

Anyone saying Im prepared to put up with any measures to fight terror should take a long hard look at what the causes really are, i.e. our governments blowing the hel_l out of whomever they feel like. Guess that builds up just a tad of resentment! There is no excuse for acts of terror whoever commits them. Imagine if the hundreds of billions of dollars spent on the Iraq war alone had been used to provide healthcare and education in these "dangerous" countries. I expect there woud be considerable more goodwill around........

Trying to keep us afraid, to keep us under control......

Am I even allowed to speak/think this way these days???? Expecting to be whisked away now by the CIA of that fine bastion of freedom and democracy the good old US of A

Thanks for this post. Unfortunately it seems that the constant brainwashing by our governments seems to have a lasting effect on a lot of the posters here (as well as everywhere else).

Just want to add that I have yet to find reliable scientific information that confirms that making an explosive with liquids and the very limited other resources you can either find or smuggle in at a plane is possible at all.

In my understanding it would take at least a fully fledged Kryo-Laboratory to do so, and even then the results would most likely be the potential terrorist hurt, without major damage to others. This is a government hoax!

Sunny

Why is Thailand now enforcing a security measure that the Britain and other countries have relaxed?

Is it a response to the Muslim problem in the south?

P.S A note to all the PC brigade. Islam and Muslims do not comprise a 'race'. Therefore pointing out that they are to blame is not racism.

Read the very first paragraph of the thread.

BANGKOK: -- Airports throughout Thailand on June 1 began enforcing a requirement that passengers display liquids, gels and sprays in transparent containers in line with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) regulations.

Thialand is signed up to the ICAO, so is following suit. Also you will have seen a post about someone going to Aust in May, that would have been an Australian regulation enforced in Bangkok, it would have been done at a secondary check-point just before the boarding gate.

Two weeks ago at the Budget Terminal in Singapore, I bought a small bottle of water to consume in depature before boarding the plane. After I was checked at the door for boarding pass and ID I walked towards Passport Control and was stopped by a police man who saw my bottle of water in my clear plastic bag. He told me to dispose of it as its not allowed on the plane. I said to him that I am going to comsume it in Depature and he said that I couldnt take it through. I said that as soon as I go through passport Control I can buy the same water in the 7-11 Shop in departure. He said YES but not on the plane. So I disposed of the bottle, went through and bought one from 7-11 went back to near where he was standing and said "Have a look at this" and showed him the same bottle of water. What a bloody stupid regulation and also I took that bottle of water on the plane as no one checked me.

The fact is that its all based on a trumped up story to get us frightened and continue this crazy war on terror. It was barely mentioned that the houses raided in conjunction with this saga resulted in no liquid explosive being found (only traditional electronic materials found) and the Home secretary admitted as much. However as usual this was almost completely ignored in the mainstream media. Meanwhile we get all the inconvenience and worry caused by such stories. Anyone remember all the cold war rubbish that was spouted? 1984 anyone?

Anyone saying Im prepared to put up with any measures to fight terror should take a long hard look at what the causes really are, i.e. our governments blowing the hel_l out of whomever they feel like. Guess that builds up just a tad of resentment! There is no excuse for acts of terror whoever commits them. Imagine if the hundreds of billions of dollars spent on the Iraq war alone had been used to provide healthcare and education in these "dangerous" countries. I expect there woud be considerable more goodwill around........

Trying to keep us afraid, to keep us under control......

Am I even allowed to speak/think this way these days???? Expecting to be whisked away now by the CIA of that fine bastion of freedom and democracy the good old US of A

Thanks for this post. Unfortunately it seems that the constant brainwashing by our governments seems to have a lasting effect on a lot of the posters here (as well as everywhere else).

Just want to add that I have yet to find reliable scientific information that confirms that making an explosive with liquids and the very limited other resources you can either find or smuggle in at a plane is possible at all.

In my understanding it would take at least a fully fledged Kryo-Laboratory to do so, and even then the results would most likely be the potential terrorist hurt, without major damage to others. This is a government hoax!

Sunny

you are wrong ... very wrong. and you are missleading others.

there many available compounds andd liquids available on the market that are very dangerous when combined together.

any beginer in chemistry can show you how to cause a reaction based on chemicals.

the simplt one is oxygen and oil. they realy go well together.

for a more complex and easy to hide there is acetone peroxide triacetone triperoxide (TATP) the home-made explosive used in London on July 7 last year in the attacks that killed 56 people, including four suicide bombers, on Tube trains and a bus.

TATP is made with commonly available chemicals such as sulphuric acid, which is used to clean drains, and hydrogen peroxide, which is used in hair dyes, and acetone. in some countirs you can get them in higher concetrate.

Liquid explosives are very, very sensitive and there are many different types, but we could well be talking about nitroglycerine which has been around for many years.

It is easy to make and you do not need very much. It can be colourless, pale yellow or brown but you can add colour to make it resemble anything you like, such as fizzy drinks or even baby food.

In a handbag under an X ray machine it would just appear that you were carrying a harmless liquid, there would be no way of picking it up.

the only ones who do are the Israeli Snifer machines that use a snifer as well as exrays.

be afraid...be very afraid..

You are right referring to some liquid chemicals that can create nasty things, highdiver.

But, please check out the other necessary things needed to use these for a controlled explosion. You won't find these in Airplanes, and they would trigger alarm at any security gate.

By the way, are you aware that most explosives is usually in a solid state? Would you agree that any kinds of solid objects should therefore be banned on flights?

I am sure it ain't that hard to press some dangerous explosives in the form of tablets.....

But don't worry too much, as the stuff needed to actually detonate them is not available in plane flights. As are the things needed to detonate liquids.

Sunny

This is one of the most stupid regulations I've ever came upon.

Thank you, U.S.A.!! For inventing it, and bringing it to the world.

If you want to blame someone blame the frigging Muslim terrorists!

I have been traveling with little bottles of stuff crammed into a tiny plastic bag for the last 6 months and it is doable! Like anything else, you adjust to it and move on! I purchased small sized amounts of "stuff" that I may need during the flight (stuffy nose spray, aftershave, toothpaste, etc.) and don't worry about the restriction. Any "liquid" type stuff that I may want to take with me I put in my check-in bag!

In the U.S. they have been using this system for a while - and you still find women with huge bottles of cologne, perfume, body sprays, lots of expensive stuff that gets thrown in the contraband box! Big signs warn passengers to put their valuable perfumes and whatever that do not conform to the correct size to put the "liquids" in their check-in bag AND this stuff is still found at the security check! I was not too far from a woman who had 2 or 3 huge tubes of hemorrhoid cream thrown out - I don't know what she intended to do on the plane???

The security checks DO find knives, guns, hatchets, lighter fluid, gasoline, grenades and lots of stuff that would make a flight unpleasant!

Thank you Muslim terrorists for adding another dimension to international air travel!

Last time I travelled back from Germany I chatted up the security guy and he admitted that it is utter BS and he did not comfortable at all to inforce it. Lots of aggrevation from passengers that could be avoided with more sensible approaches to air safety and facing the fact that certain things in life cover a certain risk that is impossible to contain - whether you can bring your toothpaste on board or not.

Anecdote from the security guy on the side:

A couple of days earlier a passenger with a rather expensive bottle of Whisley wanted to check in and he (the security guy) had to confiscate the bottle. Passenger opened the bottle, drank as much as he could and borded the plane... :o

" blah.....blah......blah.... the Americans are living under a fascist regime, so their media is owned by the govt.......blah....yada...yada....blah...blah...."

If Bush owns the media, he sure aint getting his moneys worth cuz, outside of Faux News, he is pretty much getting reamed daily by the other networks and virtually all major newspapers

Incidently, coming back from Bangkok a month ago, I had a stopover in Korea. I bought a liter of whiskey at a duty free. The clerk of the duty free checked my flight information, departing gate, etc..... sealed the whiskey in a plastic bag and transported it directly to my gate where it was waiting for me when I boarded so I was able to carry it on with me.

Air carriage rule on liquid display enforced June 1

BANGKOK: -- Airports throughout Thailand on June 1 began enforcing a requirement that passengers display liquids, gels and sprays in transparent containers in line with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) regulations.

Journalists early Friday were led by a senior Thai Airways International (THAI) executive to inspect how airline officials apply the newly-imposed regulation setting limits for passengers to carry liquids, gels and sprays aboard their flights at Suvarnabhumi airport.

The new regulation was enforced from 00.01 am (one minute after midnight) Friday after several international carriers, especially those operating European and US routes, followed Britain's lead in adopting the measure after terrorists planned to sabotage commercial airlines departing London's Heathrow and other airports with liquid bombs aboard aircraft.

Under the terms of the regulation, passengers can carry liquid substances in containers not exceeding 100 millilitres with a total combined volume of not over one litre. Each passenger is allowed to carry only one bag of such substance.

However, passengers who purchased goods at duty free shops operated by King Power (contracted for duty free sales and other business at Suvarnabhumi), will be given a clear plastic bag for keeping both the goods they bought and the sales receipt indicating the goods they have purchased.

--TNA 2007-06-01

There is no doubt a need for this kind of scruitiny about containers of liquids etc.

However, tubes of toothpaste, small bottles of say listerine where the seal is unbroken, perfumes where the seal is unbroken,

are confiscated, are no doubt taken home by airport employees and their bosses.

I personally see this as stealing by Airport authorities, without due compensation of any kind what so ever under the guise

of security. It is even worse at the airport in the Philippines.

Suggestion, before they take your bottle of wine that you paid handsomely for, or your bottle of listerine, make sure you

open it and spit in it.

I was refused in February during a stop over in Zurich on my way to Brussels to carry a bottle of whisky bought at the tax-free shop in Bangkok as hand luggage. To avoid confiscating this expensive whisky, I had to exit the airport, re-enter and re-check in (although I had a valid boarding pass already) at the counter, handing over this bottle of whisky to be separately boarded as checked-in luggage in a special bottle container. I had to pay 3 Swiss Francs but the counter refused Euro or US$. Go to the bank, exchange Euro in Swiss Francs (I only had a 5 Euro bank note), lose petty money, pay and then board the plane whilst on my way to the gate I passed a number of duty free shops in Zurich airport selling exactly the same brand of whisky as I had been refused to board.

Switzerland is not member of the EU. But when it fits their interest they adhere to EU regulations. How can their taxfree products be accepted (as safe) on board a plane to Europe whilst the same identical articles, procured in Thailand, cannot! And how will the EU now consider these tax-free products procured in Thai airport tax free shops as "safe", whilst in February they were not?

It starts to be a game for obsessed small-minded lunatics where all common sense is getting lost and only stubborn applications of un-realistic safety rules are rigorously implied. Isn't it time that all these security regulations get accepted and enforced world-wide and that the security officers in charge of the security law enforcement receive a thorough trainig in "common sense" by which also their brains from time to time have to be used?

Flying business is getting crazy and safety paranoid! I admit safety is aboslutely needed but, gentlemen in uniform with hat and braids and stripes, use common sense and see the forest in the trees! I have never seen a plane hijacked with a nail-cutter... (which you have to leave behind when security officers find it). But steel knives which are given to the passengers on bord Thai Airways for your meals are no problem!

If you inadvertantly have a small bottle of listerine in your carryone bag which is unsealed, or perhaps a tube of toothpaste

that you wish to use to brush your teeth with during layovers while your in route which are also sealed, make sure you if they

confiscate them at the airport, you unscrew the lid take a swig and then spit in the bottle. That way the counter people are

less likely to take them home which you know they most surely do For Free! I can just imagine that the airport authorities

must have or will have an abundant amount of sundries and other items that can be found in their homes; all of which have

been impounded without any compensation at all.

Following on from the original subject of this post, I would like to give a few pieces of advice to perspective travellers, particularly the guy needing fluid for his contact lens':

1. It is the physical BOTTLE that can not be bigger than 100ml. Simply taking a 250ml bottle and puring out 150ml, so that 100ml remains, is not sufficient and in all likelihood, the bottle will be siezed! At least this is the way they're definitely working it in Oz. So the heads up here, is to make sure your bottle itself is 100ml in size or less.

4. As far as I am aware, this new ruling applies only to International flights & domestic flights are exactly the same as before.

Happy travelling!

I flew Domestic Bangkok to Phitsanulok yesterday (1st day of the new regs. for Thailand), and the lady let me take a 150ml aerosol spray on board as I told her it was half full. Go figure. :o

The new rules apply to internal Domestic Thailand flights too.

This is one of the most stupid regulations I've ever came upon.

Thank you, U.S.A.!! For inventing it, and bringing it to the world.

I think anal-retentive British security is as much to blame. (I'm British, by the way!)

As has been mentioned before, this is just a stupid regulation which does not prevent people bringing down planes if they really want, and just makes everyone's life less bearable.

Think about 4 terrorists getting on a plane with several litres of spirits, pouring them out over the plane, breaking the bottles to use as weapons and having a lighter or a few matches!

There are risks everywhere in life, you need to weigh up the cost of mitigating the risks and the cost to quality of life. I think the economic cost of the impact on quality of life is not factored in with the cost of saving lives. If one life is worth billions, then who is to say that one life is better than another? Why are we not spending the equivalent amounts to save lives in the 3rd world??

Does anyone know what prior arrangements are required for carrying insulin vials on board?

Next month I will be travelling to Australia, and as a diabetic, I will need to carry two 10-Mil vials, and maybe five 3-Mil vials of insulin, plus at least one insulin injector with injection needles.

I have been carrying such items on board for over 25 years, and never had any problems, but am not sure about these latest regs. The stuff cannot go in the hold as it will freeze and spoil, and if they confiscate it I will be in deep sh..t.

The obvious answer would be to carry a Doctor's prescription or note, but who knows if it would be acceptable.

Anyone? :o

Does anyone know what prior arrangements are required for carrying insulin vials on board?

Next month I will be travelling to Australia, and as a diabetic, I will need to carry two 10-Mil vials, and maybe five 3-Mil vials of insulin, plus at least one insulin injector with injection needles.

I have been carrying such items on board for over 25 years, and never had any problems, but am not sure about these latest regs. The stuff cannot go in the hold as it will freeze and spoil, and if they confiscate it I will be in deep sh..t.

The obvious answer would be to carry a Doctor's prescription or note, but who knows if it would be acceptable.

A Doctor's prescription or note is a good idea anyway and I'm only guessing, but maybe you should have a word with your travel agent or even contact the airline that you are going to use.

At least they should know more than we do!

I think most airlines are on the internet now and maybe you can get a direct answer from them.

No problem. Medicine is acceptable with the correct documentation.

It continues to amaze me at the acute level of whining that is directed towards the U.S.A.

If you have to display liquids or there are liquid restrictions on aircraft: blame it on the US.

If there is a financial ripple in the global economy: blame it on the US.

If any sort of debris is lodged in unseen and unspoken areas: blame it on the US.

God help us all if the US is wrong about something or demonstrates something less than perfection on anything: Whiners come forth and...well whine.

Is there anything else that needs to be whined about? Please note that I am aware of the difference between discussioon and whining.

For those without a clue let me remind you that terrorist have always targeted aircraft (and Americans for that matter). The Spanish found out that bombs do real damage to real people. If the foiled plot in England had not been found out, the Brits might hold the record for terrorist deaths (instead of Americans). Are the people doing the whining here so lost in there own importance to miss the big picture of the real world that we live in?

If security wants to check my luggage for liquids: fine. If I have to buy my whiskey at my destination vs. my origination: fine. When it comes to pat-down; I ask for the female security officer to offset my trouble.

Do the whiners think that Richard Reed was only going to kill Americans if he could have gotten his shoes to go off? I am sure that there were whiners on that aircraft and on the four aircraft that perished on 9/11.

If you don't like airport security, then walk.

The problem with real world stuff is the only people that understand it are not the problem in the first place.

For all of the good people that are just looking for information about getting though a normal flight easier; please excuse my whining.

Edited by Astropuppy

In a handbag under an X ray machine it would just appear that you were carrying a harmless liquid, there would be no way of picking it up.

the only ones who do are the Israeli Snifer machines that use a snifer as well as exrays.

be afraid...be very afraid..

Singapore has had sniffers in preference to x-ray machine for years........

Do they know something the rest of the world does not??

Incidently, coming back from Bangkok a month ago, I had a stopover in Korea. I bought a liter of whiskey at a duty free. The clerk of the duty free checked my flight information, departing gate, etc..... sealed the whiskey in a plastic bag and transported it directly to my gate where it was waiting for me when I boarded so I was able to carry it on with me.

The same applies departing India.

You collect your duty free as you go down the ramp the aircraft, AFTER all the checks.

Following on from the original subject of this post, I would like to give a few pieces of advice to perspective travellers, particularly the guy needing fluid for his contact lens':

1. It is the physical BOTTLE that can not be bigger than 100ml. Simply taking a 250ml bottle and puring out 150ml, so that 100ml remains, is not sufficient and in all likelihood, the bottle will be siezed! At least this is the way they're definitely working it in Oz. So the heads up here, is to make sure your bottle itself is 100ml in size or less.

2. On a recent flight from Thaland to Australia, via Singapore - knowing (or thinking) that liquids bought in duty free were exempt from this new rule, having a King Power duty free discount card, I purchased a 1 litre bottle of duty free alcohol at the airport in Thailand. I was only in transit in Singapore and did not go 'outside' of the transit / departure area. None the less, my bottle was siezed at the gate. After x-ray, seeing a bottle inside my carry on bag, I was sent to an extremely polite & very apologetic policeman, who advised me that it was ONLY duty free purchased in Singapore that was exempt! So, the golden rule now, is only to buy your bottles at the last airport before your final destination.

Yup. Its happening at Schipol as well. Mate of mine came through last week and got denied boarding the UK leg as he had duty free from BKK. totally screws up any savings you might make in cheap airports. It also screws up what you can buy and the price - inter EU passengers pay a different price and can only buy certain items compared to someone flying out of the EU.

Totally crazy situation now.

The last time I travelled under these restrictions it was rather nice. We were informed well in advance of check-in. The flight was more comfortable than most, for a trans-oceanic flight. We didn't have the huge queue toward the end of the flight when everyone decided to brush their teeth, do their hair and put on make-up.

I brought an empty water bottle that I filled after boarding the flight. All-in-all, not too bad. I did feel sorry for families with kids, however, since that is a much less manageable situation.