Jump to content

Re-entry permit / extension of stay


Recommended Posts

I have an extension of stay valid until 19/12/21, i will enter end of October ( on re-entry permit ) for approx 4 weeks and then have to leave again due to work commitments.

 

I will then not be able to return before the expriy mentioned above.

 

What are my options for entry after 19/12/21? is 3 weeks enough time to get another 1 year extension of stay? is end of october to early to apply for this?

 

Thanks

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Normally, they accept renewal requests one month beforehand. So if you enter end of October for 4 weeks, that would give you a leave date around the w/c 25th November. Therefore, you could apply for the 1y extension (assuming it is a retirement extension) on or after 19th November and get the new extension (and by a new re-entry permit) before you have to leave the country. That is in my view the way to go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How early you can do the extension depends upon the office you will be applying at. Some allow doing them up to 30 days early and others 45 days. If you can show a flight out of the country some will do it up to 60 days early.

You should be able to apply in November before you leave. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do not mention the basis of your permission to stay. If it is for retirement, there should be no insuperable difficulty. However, an extension of your permission to stay based on marriage to a Thai is taken under consideration with a report back date. If that is your situation, plan instead on applying for a fresh single entry Non O visa prior to your return.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I'm on an extension of stay based on marriage.

 

My last extension took 6 weeks to renew which won't work for me.

 

If i cannot get it done and need to leave the country what are my options for entry next time.

 

Are CoE's issued for visa exempt entry?

 

Thanks

 

 

Yes, CoEs are routinely issued for visa-exempt entry.  Once back in Thailand you would be able to apply for a Non-O visa for purpose of marriage from your immigration office.  30-45 days before that 90-day permission to stay would expire you could apply for a marriage extension of stay.  Obviously these two steps require a certain amount of time to accomplish.  How long will you be staying in Thailand after you re-enter?  If not a long time it may benefit you to apply for your Non-O visa for purpose of marriage outside of Thailand at a Thai embassy or consulate and re-enter Thailand with that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, skatewash said:

Yes, CoEs are routinely issued for visa-exempt entry.  Once back in Thailand you would be able to apply for a Non-O visa for purpose of marriage from your immigration office.  30-45 days before that 90-day permission to stay would expire you could apply for a marriage extension of stay.  Obviously these two steps require a certain amount of time to accomplish.  How long will you be staying in Thailand after you re-enter?  If not a long time it may benefit you to apply for your Non-O visa for purpose of marriage outside of Thailand at a Thai embassy or consulate and re-enter Thailand with that.

Yes, the short amount of time in country is the issue, max will be 3-4 weeks for the foreseeable future.

 

The non O outside of thailand does not really help as most of them issued now are only single entries.

 

Unless land border open at Mukdahan to cross to Savanket and get 1 year Non O there?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yes, the short amount of time in country is the issue, max will be 3-4 weeks for the foreseeable future.

 

The non O outside of thailand does not really help as most of them issued now are only single entries.

 

Unless land border open at Mukdahan to cross to Savanket and get 1 year Non O there?

 

Thanks

Yes, I meant obtaining a single-entry non-O for purpose of marriage outside of Thailand, not a multi-entry one (although that would, of course, be better for you if possible).  It would shorten the time you needed to be in Thailand until you could apply for a marriage extension.  However, the earliest you would be able to apply for a marriage extension would be after about 6 weeks in Thailand (you would enter with a Non-O visa giving you an initial permission to stay of 90 days and the earliest most immigration offices will allow you to apply for an extension of stay is 30-45 days before the expiration of your permission to stay).  Of course once acquired the marriage extension would be good for an entire year and you could retain that permission of stay by getting a re-entry permit (single 1,000, multiple 3,800 baht) before leaving Thailand.

However, if you really are only looking to stay in Thailand for 3-4 weeks, then that opens up the possibility of using a visa-exempt entry (30 days) which can be extended for another 30 days, or a tourist visa (60) days.  Of course, this won't keep your marriage extension of stay alive, but you can apply for a non-O visa for marriage when you are able to stay for a longer period in Thailand than 3-4 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

Yes, I meant obtaining a single-entry non-O for purpose of marriage outside of Thailand, not a multi-entry one (although that would, of course, be better for you if possible).  It would shorten the time you needed to be in Thailand until you could apply for a marriage extension.  However, the earliest you would be able to apply for a marriage extension would be after about 6 weeks in Thailand (you would enter with a Non-O visa giving you an initial permission to stay of 90 days and the earliest most immigration offices will allow you to apply for an extension of stay is 30-45 days before the expiration of your permission to stay).  Of course once acquired the marriage extension would be good for an entire year and you could retain that permission of stay by getting a re-entry permit (single 1,000, multiple 3,800 baht) before leaving Thailand.

However, if you really are only looking to stay in Thailand for 3-4 weeks, then that opens up the possibility of using a visa-exempt entry (30 days) which can be extended for another 30 days, or a tourist visa (60) days.  Of course, this won't keep your marriage extension of stay alive, but you can apply for a non-O visa for marriage when you are able to stay for a longer period in Thailand than 3-4 weeks.

Yeah the VE option looks the simplist route and i can't see them being too fussy about the amount of times you use this option if they're trying to open up the country.

 

Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Note that, if there is a trip where you are intending to be out of Thailand for only 3-4 weeks, it might be feasible to apply for a one-year extension of a Non O. You can get a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay during the under consideration period intact, receiving your actual one-year extension on your return. The dates would need to line up cleanly, and some flexibility with your schedule probably necessary, but I would be nervous about relying on visa exempt entries continuously through the Bangkok airports (based on experiences in 2018-2019).  I appreciate your point about the larger Thai establishment being keen to have more foreigners in the country, but I do not get the impression that this is a priority for the Bangkok airports immigration officials.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Note that, if there is a trip where you are intending to be out of Thailand for only 3-4 weeks, it might be feasible to apply for a one-year extension of a Non O. You can get a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay during the under consideration period intact, receiving your actual one-year extension on your return. The dates would need to line up cleanly, and some flexibility with your schedule probably necessary, but I would be nervous about relying on visa exempt entries continuously through the Bangkok airports (based on experiences in 2018-2019).  I appreciate your point about the larger Thai establishment being keen to have more foreigners in the country, but I do not get the impression that this is a priority for the Bangkok airports immigration officials.

Well noted with thanks.

 

I will visit the local Immigration dept upon arrival and see if the option you suggest is achievable.

 

Many thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...