Chiang Mai Recognised As 5th Most Attractive Tourism Destination In The World In 2006.

Kaysfeld

Chiang Mai recognised as 5th most attractive tourism destination in the world in 2006.

"Travel and Leisure" magazine, a USA based tourism magazine with a circulation of 900,000 announced that its readers had voted Chiang Mai the fifth most desirable destination in the world, and the second in Asia, with Bangkok in first place.

Each year “Travel and Leisure” conducts a survey of its readers as to the most desirable tourist destinations via online questionnaires. The survey takes into account value for money, the level of arts and culture, and the general environment of the location. This year Bangkok was voted as Asia’s most desirable tourist destination for the fifth year running, with Chiang Mai following in second place. Chiang Mai also ranked fifth in the world’s desirable tourist destinations, with Florence and Rome in Italy taking first and second place respectively, Bangkok third place and Sydney, Australia in fourth place. The top five Asian cities were voted as Bangkok and Chiang Mai, followed by Kathmandu of Nepal, Kyoto of Japan and Hong Kong. The award was warmly received in Chiang Mai, after the disappointing news that Chiang Mai had dropped in the ‘World’s Most Liveable Cities’ index to 'only' 10th place.

I wonder what kind of damage the serious smog problems in marts-april 2007 have done to Chiang Mais future reputation. Only time will tell.

The Rose of the North เชียงใหม่

Chiang Mai is Thailand's second city, but in terms of quality of living and tourist attractions, we believe that it's second to none in Southeast Asia.

The city is famous for her friendly people, refined handicrafts, hill tribes, 'cool' climate and stunning mountain scenery.

The centre of the once-powerful Lanna kingdom, the northern Thai province of Chiang Mai is a favourite destination for tourists and backpackers alike and is also a tremendously popular province amongst Thai holiday-makers. Relatively mountainous and layered with a selection of National Parks, Chiang Mai is a nature-lovers paradise with ample opportunity for those wanting to explore the hinterland during their holiday.

More than three-hundred temples, among them some of the most beautiful and revered in the entire Buddhist world, give the city an atmosphere of calmness and timeless elegance.

The quality of living is unsurpassed. Accommodation and food are of the highest standard at very low cost. Entertainment is plentiful with numerous festivals, outdoor activities and great nightlife.

Chiang Mai has a distinct international atmosphere with many foreign businesses and organizations locating in the city over the past decade due to her excellent infrastructure with international direct flight connections to all countries in the region including China, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Bangladesh and Taiwan. There are also direct regional daily flights to Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Rai, Ma Hong Song, Sukhothai and other cities in the region.

The province is also developing a reputation for health and spa resorts that are beginning to pop up along with a burgeoning real-estate business as the backpackers from yester-year return to retire in this comfortable northern Thai climate. The eponymous provincial capital is Thailand's second most frequently visited city but has a population of only around 200,000. An abundance of temples are spread throughout the city, which is easily navigated on foot. The influence of the plentiful middle-aged European tourists who flock here is strongly felt in the town, with a vibrant alternative-lifestyle community providing everything from jewellery-making to yoga classes. Chiang Mai's hotel scene is developing apace with some truly luxurious hotels now peppering the city's skyline along with the excellent choice of budget guesthouses and hostels that have existed her for decades.

Genuine adventure is to be found in the immediate vicinity of Chiang Mai with jungle tours, rafting, elephant riding and hill tribe villages to visit. Chiang Mai is a Golfer's dream with some of the best golf in Asia in fantastic surroundings. Shopping is great, be it for handicrafts, clothes or luxury items. Everything can be found at great prices in stores ranging from small family-run shops to world-class luxury outlets and shopping malls.

Surveys rank Chiang Mai among the most liveable cities in Asia. Everyone visiting or living here would attest that it's in fact number one.

from http://www.kaysfeld.com/Thailand/ChiangMai/index.html

If the environment is a criteria then after what happened to it THIS year especially- it won't be in the top five next year I am afraid.

On the other hand I still think its a great place and love living here,

TP

If the environment is a criteria then after what happened to it THIS year especially- it won't be in the top five next year I am afraid.

TP

that problem could be overcome by handing out a small souvenair pack at the airport with one of these :o

post-15912-1180751242_thumb.jpg

Bangkok 3rd in the world? Ya! Sure! Something is fishy there! Not Paris? Not Vienna? Not London? Not Barcelona or Madrid? Come on! I question this survey. I would like to know more about the question, the sample, the criteria,...

TP

Hopefully we won't see a repeat of this year's extreme haze unless or until all the same factors coalesce again.

Bangkok 3rd in the world? Ya! Sure! Something is fishy there! Not Paris? Not Vienna? Not London? Not Barcelona or Madrid? Come on! I question this survey. I would like to know more about the question, the sample, the criteria,...

Everyone has to think like you do?

Everyone has to think like you do?

I thought the same as MyPenRye - without knowing the questions and the sampling methodology it limits the value of the result. For example were the cities already named ie out of this list of 20 what is your pick. If the sample is limited to say less than 1,000 respondents the results will skew with only minor changes in the voting patterns.

I was surprised to see Bangkok as 3rd on the list and Chiang Mai as 5th. Two cities from the same country is odd and to miss out on some of the normal top 10 cities makes me suspicious.

CB

A quote from an editorial I wrote in November 2005:

When I emailed my friend Heidi S. Mitchell, senior editor of Travel+Leisure magazine to ask her what her thoughts on this matter were she replied, "With the opening of the Mandarin Oriental and the overall evolution of the city, Chiang Mai is finally 'on the map'. American travellers seek authenticity when we venture beyond our borders, and Chiang Mai gives visitors a real cultural experience, without being a difficult place to navigate. More and more, we're seeing smaller cities (like Oaxaca in Mexico, and Chiang Mai) topping our lists, which shows how we're venturing beyond the big cities and the obvious destinations. And with great shopping, restaurants, nightlife, culture, hotels, and location - not to mention gentle and welcoming people - no wonder Chiang Mai is moving up the ranks."

A quote from an editorial I wrote in November 2005:

When I emailed my friend Heidi S. Mitchell, senior editor of Travel+Leisure magazine to ask her what her thoughts on this matter were she replied, "With the opening of the Mandarin Oriental and the overall evolution of the city, Chiang Mai is finally 'on the map'. American travellers seek authenticity when we venture beyond our borders, and Chiang Mai gives visitors a real cultural experience, without being a difficult place to navigate. More and more, we're seeing smaller cities (like Oaxaca in Mexico, and Chiang Mai) topping our lists, which shows how we're venturing beyond the big cities and the obvious destinations. And with great shopping, restaurants, nightlife, culture, hotels, and location - not to mention gentle and welcoming people - no wonder Chiang Mai is moving up the ranks."

Thank God cruise ships can't do for Chiang Mai what they did for Oaxaca/Zihuataneo. That place lost whatever charm it had more than 20 years ago.

Chiang Mai recognised as 5th most attractive tourism destination in the world in 2006.

"Travel and Leisure" magazine, a USA based tourism magazine with a circulation of 900,000 announced that its readers had voted Chiang Mai the fifth most desirable destination in the world, and the second in Asia, with Bangkok in first place.

Each year “Travel and Leisure” conducts a survey of its readers as to the most desirable tourist destinations via online questionnaires. The survey takes into account value for money, the level of arts and culture, and the general environment of the location. This year Bangkok was voted as Asia’s most desirable tourist destination for the fifth year running, with Chiang Mai following in second place. Chiang Mai also ranked fifth in the world’s desirable tourist destinations, with Florence and Rome in Italy taking first and second place respectively, Bangkok third place and Sydney, Australia in fourth place. The top five Asian cities were voted as Bangkok and Chiang Mai, followed by Kathmandu of Nepal, Kyoto of Japan and Hong Kong. The award was warmly received in Chiang Mai, after the disappointing news that Chiang Mai had dropped in the ‘World’s Most Liveable Cities’ index to 'only' 10th place.

I wonder what kind of damage the serious smog problems in marts-april 2007 have done to Chiang Mais future reputation. Only time will tell.

The Rose of the North เชียงใหม่

Chiang Mai is Thailand's second city, but in terms of quality of living and tourist attractions, we believe that it's second to none in Southeast Asia.

The city is famous for her friendly people, refined handicrafts, hill tribes, 'cool' climate and stunning mountain scenery.

The centre of the once-powerful Lanna kingdom, the northern Thai province of Chiang Mai is a favourite destination for tourists and backpackers alike and is also a tremendously popular province amongst Thai holiday-makers. Relatively mountainous and layered with a selection of National Parks, Chiang Mai is a nature-lovers paradise with ample opportunity for those wanting to explore the hinterland during their holiday.

More than three-hundred temples, among them some of the most beautiful and revered in the entire Buddhist world, give the city an atmosphere of calmness and timeless elegance.

The quality of living is unsurpassed. Accommodation and food are of the highest standard at very low cost. Entertainment is plentiful with numerous festivals, outdoor activities and great nightlife.

Chiang Mai has a distinct international atmosphere with many foreign businesses and organizations locating in the city over the past decade due to her excellent infrastructure with international direct flight connections to all countries in the region including China, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Bangladesh and Taiwan. There are also direct regional daily flights to Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Rai, Ma Hong Song, Sukhothai and other cities in the region.

The province is also developing a reputation for health and spa resorts that are beginning to pop up along with a burgeoning real-estate business as the backpackers from yester-year return to retire in this comfortable northern Thai climate. The eponymous provincial capital is Thailand's second most frequently visited city but has a population of only around 200,000. An abundance of temples are spread throughout the city, which is easily navigated on foot. The influence of the plentiful middle-aged European tourists who flock here is strongly felt in the town, with a vibrant alternative-lifestyle community providing everything from jewellery-making to yoga classes. Chiang Mai's hotel scene is developing apace with some truly luxurious hotels now peppering the city's skyline along with the excellent choice of budget guesthouses and hostels that have existed her for decades.

Genuine adventure is to be found in the immediate vicinity of Chiang Mai with jungle tours, rafting, elephant riding and hill tribe villages to visit. Chiang Mai is a Golfer's dream with some of the best golf in Asia in fantastic surroundings. Shopping is great, be it for handicrafts, clothes or luxury items. Everything can be found at great prices in stores ranging from small family-run shops to world-class luxury outlets and shopping malls.

Surveys rank Chiang Mai among the most liveable cities in Asia. Everyone visiting or living here would attest that it's in fact number one.

from http://www.kaysfeld.com/Thailand/ChiangMai/index.html

This has gotta be a load of horseshyte. Chiangmai number five. Someone is having a big joke. AND what a joke. It will be eons before Chiangmai gets into the top "100" (IF EVER)

I don't see it as so surprising that of 900.000 people with travelling as a specific interest, those who could actually be bothered to vote in this poll (perhaps 5% - 30%, just a guess though?) voted as they did.

This does not mean that the average Joe Bloke has a clue about Chiang Mai. But then again, the average Joe Bloke probably still confuses Thailand with Taiwan, Sweden with Switzerland and Austria with Australia - and is not a reader of 'Travel and Leisure' magazine.

Chiang Mai has been on the map for travelling freelance journalists, photographers and artists for a while now. There are also a disproportionately number of writers and artists living here, some of which probably even read this forum now and then, and they have an impact - not on the average Joe Bloke, but on other artists and writers, who are trend setters in some ways.

Look at how capital and people follows art and bohemian chic in the heels - the development of Nimmanheimin Road is a pretty obvious example of this, and this trend is not unique to Thailand.

Who are you trying to kid? You work for the TAT? Numbers are dwindling becuase pollution, crime, industrialisation, globalisation, corruption etc etc are all the on the rise. The city is losing its charm quickly and becoming the same as any other sold-out latge city; charactless and formulaic.

It just happens, that's how i like it. But don't try and kid anyone. Even the tourist atractions are getting over priced and silly. Riding sick elephants so large inscrupulous companies can make a buck.

Insipid, untrue, small-minded and vulgar article.

Numbers are dwindling becuase pollution, crime, industrialisation, globalisation, corruption etc etc are all the on the rise. The city is losing its charm quickly and becoming the same as any other sold-out latge city; charactless and formulaic.

It just happens, that's how i like it. But don't try and kid anyone.

I feel sorry for you. I think you would be better of i Pattaya. They have even more of the things you like.

There is plenty of rime, industrialisation, globalisation, corruption. Only on the pollution front, Chiang Mai can overgo Pattaya in your prefered areas.

You will find the survey results at http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest....cfm?cat=cities