Jump to content

What does compulsory insurance and car tax look like?


Recommended Posts

Trying to understand how they do things here in Thailand.

 

With the blue car book. You pay the car registration, road tax etc. correct?

 

So is the compulsory insurance and car tax a different document, or do they normally do this all at once? 

 

 

I am renewing my voluntary insurance at the moment and it says excludes compulsory insurance. So just trying to get an idea what all these things look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Compulsory insurance is called 'Por-Ror-Bor’ it costs something in the region of 650 baht per year.

 

Car tax cannot be renewed without 'Por-Ror-Bor’.

 

The usual process is to go to DLT - renew the 'Por-Ror-Bor’ and receive the cover-slip (A4 size) then take the coverslip to the Tax counter and renew the Tax. 

You receive the Tax ’Square’ which is to be displayed in your window. 

The updated Tax payment is noted in the Blue Book.

 

 

Car Tax can also be renewed at other outlets, i.e. ‘some’ 7-11’s which display the ‘car tax renewal’ sticker - BUT... I’m not sure IF they also renew the 'Por-Ror-Bor’ insurance (I don’t think they do). 

 

There is also a ‘Drive through’ area at the DLT where the Tax can be renewed, but again, I’m not sure if the 'Por-Ror-Bor’ can also be renewed at that point. 

 

1st Class insurance: Our insurance broker takes care of the 'Por-Ror-Bor’ and Tax renewal when renewing our 1st Class insurance for the car (so I only ever have to bother about renewing the tax and 'Por-Ror-Bor’ with the motorbike). 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

I am renewing my voluntary insurance at the moment and it says excludes compulsory insurance. So just trying to get an idea what all these things look like.

My 1st class insurance company does the govt compulsory third party liabilities insurance CTPL cover for me as well,  they send the cover document with the 1st class cover document.

Then I go to DLT drive through and get the tax disc which I put inside front of my windscreen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My 1st class insurance company does the govt compulsory third party liabilities insurance CTPL cover for me as well,  they send the cover document with the 1st class cover document.

Then I go to DLT drive through and get the tax disc which I put inside front of my windscreen.

Yes, but you have to ask them to provide the “Government Insurance” usually at the normal price but sometimes they will ‘throw it in’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Yes, but you have to ask them to provide the “Government Insurance” usually at the normal price but sometimes they will ‘throw it in’.

That's not the case with Roojai insurance company they ask you or offer it to you.

You have pay for CTPL  but I pay both monthly over 10 months of the year for cover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay thanks everyone. 

 

Will check the blue square on my window. It should be linked to compulsory insurance right? 

 

So i don't have to worry until i need to renew that. Now just have to figure out the Thai dates.

Edited by Thomastm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's not the case with Roojai insurance company they ask you or offer it to you.

You have pay for CTPL  but I pay both monthly over 10 months of the year for cover.

One of our cars is with Roojai since last year. Maybe I had to tick a box to ensure it was included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Okay thanks everyone. 

 

Will check the blue square on my window. It should be linked to compulsory insurance right? 

 

So i don't have to worry until i need to renew that. Now just have to figure out the Thai dates.

The tax disc you refer as a blue square could be within date but your insurance might be out of date.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

 

Oh okay. To my original thought what does compulsory insurance look like? How do i find it?

It's just a letter from an insurance company.

 

Example

 

ctpl.jpg.8ccc061f3c9762860d86de8cbd6cc201.jpg

 

 

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you have to produce evidence of the compulsory insurance when renewing the road tax,

Ideally, your insurance will be renewed on the same date as your registration but that is not the case since when you first collect your vehicle, your might not get your registration until months later, but your insurance should be running since you drove off the dealership

 

When you get voluntary insurance, like 'first class or third class' that cover damages to vehicles etc, often they will give a free compulsory insurance as well. You will then have two policy paper, one for the 1st class insurance and the other for the voluntary insurance, this policy paper look like a letter as in above posts 

 

the 'letter' or the policy document from the insurance company will look the same as your 'voluntary' ie:first class, 3rd class insurance if you have any, the difference is that the voluntary insurance will have tear off part at the bottom that you have to give to the DLT when renewing the tax, often the paper will have silver strip running down the whole length of the document too.

 

For motorcycles, this could be just printed on a receipt looking paper 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, digbeth said:

you have to produce evidence of the compulsory insurance when renewing the road tax,

Ideally, your insurance will be renewed on the same date as your registration but that is not the case since when you first collect your vehicle, your might not get your registration until months later, but your insurance should be running since you drove off the dealership

 

When you get voluntary insurance, like 'first class or third class' that cover damages to vehicles etc, often they will give a free compulsory insurance as well. You will then have two policy paper, one for the 1st class insurance and the other for the voluntary insurance, this policy paper look like a letter as in above posts 

 

the 'letter' or the policy document from the insurance company will look the same as your 'voluntary' ie:first class, 3rd class insurance if you have any, the difference is that the voluntary insurance will have tear off part at the bottom that you have to give to the DLT when renewing the tax, often the paper will have silver strip running down the whole length of the document too.

 

For motorcycles, this could be just printed on a receipt looking paper 

Some insurance companies say free as a carrot but it's not really free they just pay it for you. 

As you say 1 letterheaded sheldule receipt for CTPL & 1 letterheaded sheldule for the voluntary insurance cover. 

Same documents for motorcycles. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...