Is covid insurance still mandatory for all ?

I'm on non-o (800,000) extension and planing to get a "re-entry" permit and have a long trip (5 months) to the US in Jan 2022. 
Do I have to get covid insurance when I'm returning to Thailand (vaccinated in Thailand) ? 

Edited by The Theory

3 hours ago, nkg said:

Here's a link to 3 of the Thai covid insurance companies:

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Edit: The policies above only cover you up to the age of 75. Here's a link to a company that accepts people up to the age of 99:

https://covid19.tgia.org/

Thanks for the advice, we have added the TGIA policy to the tool as well for those over 75 years of age.

• Like 2

I think that we can all say with supreme confidence that the 100k USD COVID insurance requirement will still be in force come June 2022 when the OP is scheduled to return from his trip to the States. In fact I strongly suspect that it could eventually become a permanent requirement for foreigners intending to enter (or re-enter) Thailand under the so-called post-COVID "New Normal".

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks nkg. What is a little strange about that tgia site is that they quote a price (1260) after asking the term (eg, 90 days) and one's visa status (as Non-O retirement) but before asking one's age. But I will say that at the beginning they quote a range of prices for each term, and that 1260 was the highest possible for 90 days, so ok.

If I do come back early Dec., 90 days is my likely stay. But on another thread I read that the insurance is supposed to cover the period one is stamped in for; so say I came in Dec. 7 and my visa says good to Dec. 20, would I be stamped in to Dec. 20 2021? Which would be nice but doesn't make much sense. Thanks for any response, you or others.

I take note of Sheryl third paragraph above citing a reason to only have to buy 30 days insurance in some cases (as mine perhaps). Much thanks.

Edited by Enzian
additional info

It's worth pointing out that not every insurance policy provides asymptomatic cover for COVID.

From https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

What happens if I test positive?

If you test positive you will have to go to an AHQ hospital, and will be there for 14 days. Some of the more inexpensive policies will not cover you if you do not show symptoms. If you wish for the policy to cover both scenarios please look for policies which covers asymptomatic cases.

• Thanks 2

On 10/14/2021 at 11:37 AM, The Theory said:

If they really open Thailand to vaccinated tourists without quarantine from Nov 1st then there should not be any mandatory covid insurance. 

Note the last FAQ question and answer on the Thai insurance website listed above:

"Will COVID-19 insurance be required for the Quarantine Free entry?

The the best of our knowledge the answer is YES, but this may be subject to change."

• Like 1

The Covid cover required seems to have dropped from $100K to $50K in the most recent announcements.

However it looks like the post covid insurance is being steered towards a compulsory $100K of medical insurance for everyone ( which presumably wiil include Covid)  entering Thailand by plane.

38 minutes ago, turgid said:

The Covid cover required seems to have dropped from $100K to $50K in the most recent announcements.

That is correct but so far not mentioned on the covid 19 insurance site. I assume it be available by November 1st.

38 minutes ago, turgid said:

However it looks like the post covid insurance is being steered towards a compulsory $100K of medical insurance for everyone ( which presumably wiil include Covid)  entering Thailand by plane.

That is only for those with Non-OA long stay visas for retirement issued after October 1st of this year.

The no-asymptomatic coverage sounds like a total waste of time. Surely worth paying the extra 600 baht in case you test positive without symptoms and end up in hospital for 14 days. If you don't get asymptomatic you would have to pay for the hospital fees I believe

It sounds like the OP will be returning in May/June 2022?

Do people think this insurance requirement will remain in place forever? Might it be dropped at some point?

And why the decrease from $100,000 to $50,000?

And is it reasonable to expect that the premiums will halve as well?