Cashless payments in Thailand

I was reading on Twitter that many outlets in Thailand increasingly only accept cashless payments. But what are the best ways of making cashless payments in Thailand?

Apple Pay isn't available and though Samsung Pay is sometimes possible, I cant use it on my iPhone. So what's left? I don't like using credit cards for small payments. Paying by debit card to my Thai bank account is fine.But I suspect I'm missing some other ways of cashless payment.Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, jayboy said:

what are the best ways of making cashless payments in Thailand?

Your banks phone app.

Even my local market stalls show a QR code.

Paid for an injection at the vets by showing my phone their QR code.

Home Mall have removed all the ATMs by their door, and now prefer payment by QR code.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Apple Pay isn't available

Apple pay is available it works at 7/11, Big C and tops market. They just don't call it apple pay. If you tell them you wanna do the contactless tap payment it works most of the time depending on the card you're using on apple pay. At 7/11 you just tell them you wanna pay by credit card and you just tap the machine with your phone using apple pay. They'll be shocked but it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wars said:

Apple pay is available it works at 7/11, Big C and tops market. They just don't call it apple pay. If you tell them you wanna do the contactless tap payment it works most of the time depending on the card you're using on apple pay. At 7/11 you just tell them you wanna pay by credit card and you just tap the machine with your phone using apple pay. They'll be shocked but it works.

How do you setup Apple Pay? Is it through apples bank or can you link it to your Kasikorn account.

Although I do pay with my Kasikorn app. I wish there was some distance between my bank account and the payment app. For example, when I pay in smaller shops the cashiers want to take a photo of the receipt, which they send to their boss over messenger. I noticed in the past the screen has my balance at the bottom of the screen. I could take the persons LINE and share it, that receipt doesn't have my balance at the bottom, I could save the screen to my photo app and then show them but its all a bit convoluted. 

Edited by recom273

Phone-to-phone via banking apps is becoming more popular. My wife pays her hairdresser that way and I've paid for for household items this way as well. What the traders like about it that it's instant payment with no fees.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Your banks phone app.

Even my local market stalls show a QR code.

Paid for an injection at the vets by showing my phone their QR code.

Sorry - probably a silly question. In what form does the vendor - eg your vet - produce a QR code containing the necessary payment information?

Just ask them to scan.  They will produce a QR code you scan it with your bank app and it inputs all the information. You approve it and they see that you have paid.

If they don't have that capability you might have to manually do a transfer inputing their bank, account number, amount.  Some places they want to take a photo of your transfer receipt when you do this.

I use a credit card (which earns me flyer miles, connected to my airline and hotel preferred providers) for everything except the few cash payments we all usually have to make in LOS e.g. fruit stall, gaffee buran stall etc. I have done this for many decades all across the world and earn 'free' long haul holiday flights every few years from it. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, jayboy said:

Sorry - probably a silly question. In what form does the vendor - eg your vet - produce a QR code containing the necessary payment information?

they have one from the credit card swipe machine, the QR code appears on that little screen, or it can appear on the cash register screen also, it works very well

Most of the time, the amount comes automatically so its a new QR code for each purchase 

Edited by bolt

On 10/14/2021 at 4:51 AM, Wars said:

Apple pay is available it works at 7/11, Big C and tops market

I knew I could use PayWave (what they call NFC-enabled contactless payments in Thailand) at Big-C and TOPS, but previously I used TrueWallet at 7-Eleven, but I see that:

“With cashless payment systems getting popular in the current times, 7-11 has decided to offer customers with a new and improved credit card payment system starting from 1st September 2020.”

This is great! I hope this has been made available to all branches!

As for ApplePay: OP is right, this is ApplePay with foreign credit/debit card, as no Thai bank supports ApplePay. But the physical debit cards issued by Thai banks now (mostly) have the NFC chip to allow contactless payments / PayWave.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, rwill said:

Just ask them to scan.  They will produce a QR code you scan it with your bank app and it inputs all the information. You approve it and they see that you have paid.

If they don't have that capability you might have to manually do a transfer inputing their bank, account number, amount.  Some places they want to take a photo of your transfer receipt when you do this.

My bank transfers are always delayed..dunno why

On 10/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, Tropposurfer said:

I use a credit card (which earns me flyer miles, connected to my airline and hotel preferred providers) for everything except the few cash payments we all usually have to make in LOS e.g. fruit stall, gaffee buran stall etc. I have done this for many decades all across the world and earn 'free' long haul holiday flights every few years from it. 

Don't you get charged a foreign transaction fee at your home end and another fee this end?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Don't you get charged a foreign transaction fee at your home end and another fee this end?

Depends on your card. I've got a couple with no forex fees I use occasionally and a card I use for ATM as it also reimburses the rip-off Thai fees. The only thing to watch out for (if you can get a decent card from your home country) are smaller merchants that want to charge an extra 3% for CCs (larger merchants tend to already have the costs built in).

7 hours ago, Grecian said:

In the UK the visit to the vets is getting outrageous. £100 for nothing. £30 just to sign a form! Meds sky high.

how do you find the costs there?

Usually 300-350bht a time.

Rabbit with mite problem 100bht a visit for ivermectin injections.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:05 AM, lkn said:

TOPS

I have the hardest time using apple pay at TOPS because their system takes 2 taps. I've tried it at tesco it doesn't work as well. You are correct as well the apple pay only works with foreign cards. I've been using the apple card. I've tried the 7/11 pay wave using apple pay throughout most of Issan it should work fine. A lot of the cashiers just not trained to use it. Have to tell them you want to pay with credit card. Then you just use apple pay instead on the machine where you insert the card.