Phuket immigration very strict on retirement extension requirements

xylophone

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Mine was in a Foreign Currency Account, which is NOT readily accessible at weekends as would a Fixed Term account as you would have to go into the main bank to withdraw from it. But it was accepted by my IO as the balance was over 800k on that day.

Mine also in Foreign Currency deposit account and always accepted . I would also mention there are 2 types of foreign currency accounts (at least with Bangkok Bank) , one is fixed term interest bearing but very small interest and the other non interest bearing account . The important difference is that of being able to access ones money or even part of that money in an emergency ie medical reasons or other . Fixed term you are stuck !! I shall take my Thai Baht savings account book with me next time in case I get asked what do I live on !!  Good info 

• Like 2

Use an agent why trust the banks with 800,000 baht in times of hardship plus you haven't got all the agro and besides that I am convinced the IO would rather you use an agent as they get a nice brown envelope at the end of the day 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All these issues seem to always be related to the money in the bank account method of extension. Although I always have at least 800k in my bank account and have had for years, I take a different route at Phuket.

Every. month I have a minimum of 65k THB internationally transferred to myTH  bank account. Fortunately, as a Canadian, my embassy still issues the income letter. But even if not the case, my bank could give me the supporting paperwork for each of my 12 65k THB international deposits.

In 11 years, I've never been asked a single question by an IO and just waited patiently while the multiple stamps are applied to my passport and other docs. Always show my appreciation with a miscalculation of the filing fees.

This doesn't need to be complicated and certainly doesn't need an agent unless it's necessary to take certain steps to comply with the bank issues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Headgame said:

All these issues seem to always be related to the money in the bank account method of extension. Although I always have at least 800k in my bank account and have had for years, I take a different route at Phuket.

Every. month I have a minimum of 65k THB internationally transferred to myTH  bank account. Fortunately, as a Canadian, my embassy still issues the income letter. But even if not the case, my bank could give me the supporting paperwork for each of my 12 65k THB international deposits.

In 11 years, I've never been asked a single question by an IO and just waited patiently while the multiple stamps are applied to my passport and other docs. Always show my appreciation with a miscalculation of the filing fees.

This doesn't need to be complicated and certainly doesn't need an agent unless it's necessary to take certain steps to comply with the bank issues.

Maybe the IO thinks "Blimey, this poor farang is living on 65K a month. No point in squeezing him for any pocket money."

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2021 at 1:22 PM, skatewash said:

Or you can pay 22,000 baht to an agent and they can do what you couldn't do.  The agent likes this and the immigration officers like this as they get part of that 22,000 baht.  It's a win-win situation.  Except I wouldn't be happy paying 22,000 for something that I know should cost exactly 1,900.  But it's Thailand, so up to you. ????

Moreover, by using such <agents> to knowingly avoid certain documented requirements, one could be suspected of aiding and abetting the facilitation-money-cycle that so many people despise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Headgame said:

on my first retirement extension I used an agent to avoid the long queues. 
apparently, I was the first of her clients who had money in the Bank,
you should have seen her face ... 
After that, just prepared the paperwork myself and queued.
Recommend to get the updated list of requirements a week or so before handing in the application and Bob's your uncle.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KKr said:

Moreover, by using such <agents> to knowingly avoid certain documented requirements, one could be suspected of aiding and abetting the facilitation-money-cycle that so many people despise.

But then again as I've already posted here, and which has already been posted elsewhere, it is perfectly legal for the chief of the office to be able to issue a retirement extension without the necessary funds being proven.

So the point about one being suspected of aiding and abetting the facilitation – money – cycle falls by the wayside because of this.

If you haven't read the previous posts on here, I've always done my own immigration paperwork and always abided by the rules, however a friend of mine wasn't so lucky, which is why I started the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, damascase said:

This is not being ‘very strict’, it’s a totally wrong application of the law.

Every regional office has its own process, and that can change on a monthly basis. In Chiang Mai, they used to demand a yearly copy of the bank statement + a bank letter. This year, they unexpectedly sent me to update my bank book, to prove the funds were current. Nevertheless, if you comply with the all the paperwork requirements, they'll  issue an extension that same day.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

however the I/O took a dislike to my doing this and grumpily told me I should do the full amount in the bank next year, whilst glaring at me. So I did.

And there you have it, you can know the rules and follow them religiously and still fall by the wayside, because a good many IOs don't follow their own laws.  Use an agent and all that <deleted> falls away.  It is what it is here and to ignore that, or to pretend it doesn't exist, is just naïve. As usual here, it is all okay, until it isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

But then again as I've already posted here, and which has already been posted elsewhere, it is perfectly legal for the chief of the office to be able to issue a retirement extension without the necessary funds being proven.

So the point about one being suspected of aiding and abetting the facilitation – money – cycle falls by the wayside because of this.

If you haven't read the previous posts on here, I've always done my own immigration paperwork and always abided by the rules, however a friend of mine wasn't so lucky, which is why I started the thread.

If you know so much, why don't you help your friend get his retirement extension without asking us? ????????

On 10/16/2021 at 12:24 PM, worgeordie said:

Maybe that is the reason why.....I am sure the agent does not get

to keep the 22 K Baht all to himself.

regards Worgeordie

I did not know there were agents in Phuket, is there really? I thought that most of them worked in Pattaya, though there is one very good one in Bangkok.

Regards. Possum.

• Confused 2

On 10/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, ezzra said:

Going to the immigration is more kike a crep-shoot game, sometimes you win and everything goes well and at times your luck runs out and you have to deal with the crazy of the day sitting there  and looking at you as if you're some sort of criminal trying to circumvent the system...

Try and tell that to a certain poster who says he has dealt with the same IO for 40 years and never had any problems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I did not know there were agents in Phuket, is there really? I thought that most of them worked in Pattaya, though there is one very good one in Bangkok.

Regards. Possum.

They also have a few up here in Chiang Mai, 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And there you have it, you can know the rules and follow them religiously and still fall by the wayside, because a good many IOs don't follow their own laws.  Use an agent and all that <deleted> falls away.  It is what it is here and to ignore that, or to pretend it doesn't exist, is just naïve. As usual here, it is all okay, until it isn't. 

You just love to push agents don't you, do you get a piece of the action or own a company....lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just love to push agents don't you, do you get a piece of the action or own a company....lol

No, but I get somewhat frustrated with posters moaning about their difficulties with immigration, visas and extensions,  when the solution to their frustration is sitting right in front of them,  I shouldn't really bother typing an answer, as I don't really care about other peoples problems with the Thailand Authorities.  

I would love to know why you guys have to put up with such humiliation and disrespect?

What is there in Thailand that makes you endure such awful treatment?

Neighbouring countries are much better and u can travel to your MUCH LOVED LOS whenever you want and can stay few months each time withoutbthe hassle. 

4 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I would love to know why you guys have to put up with such humiliation and disrespect?

Neighbouring countries are much better and u can travel to your MUCH LOVED LOS whenever you want and can stay few months each time withoutbthe hassle. 

Not sure the wife (Thai) and family would appreciate that suggestion too much. ????

• Haha 1

Despite never having had a problem myself with my retirement extension, last year the skinny bespectacled IO asked me to help explain to the 90 year old Italian why he had just had his renewal declined. He'd gone below the 400,000 baht balance for a few days, despite subsequently having brought in nearly 2m baht. He was very confused and quite upset.

He'd have had no option other than to use an agent,

Despite being sure all my documentation is in order, apart from the standard missing photocopy, there's always that niggling thought that something's not going to be right.

Don't have to worry this year. Swapped it for cold weather and large council tax bills! Not sure if it was worth the trade!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing I do not understand in this f.... country, why does imm. not has the same rules all over the country, and why can individual imm. officers make their own rules without being notified from brass higher up, this is a seek behavior.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Awesome!  Which neighboring countries do you have in mind that offer a 100% legal, straightforward, and inexpensive way to stay long term in the country and not ever have to leave for any reason?

I guess Vietnam isn't one of those countries, right?

Unlike some countries, like Mexico, Vietnam does not have a “retirement visa,” so it’s not so easy for retired folks who are no longer working to stay in the country long term. There are tourist visas that may require you to leave the country every 90 days (rules vary depending on what country you’re coming from).

Then there is a type of visa for foreigners who are employed by Vietnamese companies, as well as an “investor visa,” for people who start a business in Vietnam or invest in an existing company. Expat Neil Varden says it best: “Visas are not so easy. The rules always change.”

-- from an article entitled:  "8 Reasons Retirees Are Falling In Love With Vietnam" at https://www.travelawaits.com/2563011/best-places-to-retire-vietnam/

I really would like to know which neighboring country offers something equivalent (or better) to what Thailand offers retired people.  It's always good to have a plan B.

• Like 1