Phuket immigration very strict on retirement extension requirements

xylophone

55 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I also gave him my book with 800k in it to copy and he said he would copy it for the full year, just to be on the safe side.

Would a bank account with the 800k in it not have any transactions to show in the bank book?

36 minutes ago, skatewash said:

it's still in their investigative purview to ask questions like what are you living on?  Where does it come from?  Do you work in Thailand?  Sometimes they will ask to see a bank account that you are not using to meet the requirement for the extension to see what you are living on.

Sorry, seen after my post and in line with the story I was told.

12 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

attitude of “ cool and compliant “ ? never had any Immi. problems.

just no need to normalize, glorify and grovel to the process….

My way of doing it is to copy every set of papers I give to Immigration each year, BEFORE I go. I have copies going back to 2008.

I have 18 pieces of paper in my 2020 file.

Each year I produce the same papers, updated, for Immigration.

Some of them are marked "Don't need next year" or "Don't present at Immigration but keep in brief case", e.g. the picture of me standing in front of my house, or my health insurance certificate.

I got caught out last year by not having a full years' bank statement from the bank. Won't happen this year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Would a bank account with the 800k in it not have any transactions to show in the bank book?

It won't have any "transactions" in the bank book, because the money stays where it is, however it does earn a minuscule amount of interest, so every so often I update the book in the ATM system.

My 800k is in the account which my bank manager suggested and was accepted by immigration last year, and although it earns a minuscule amount of interest, it is an account which is readily accessible, which I believe the I/O's are looking for.

However after my friend's strange encounter, I am quite prepared to get knocked back and would have absolutely no problem in using an agent and paying the 22k baht (of which the agent, in front of my friend, gave 20k to the I/O, and the agent had the rest) because I could then spend the 800k which has been laying just about dormant, and it would save me bringing funds over from NZ for quite a while.

• Like 2

JB: yes, best to be organized for Immi / DLT / Muni. have yellow ( non- house) and pink ( house) thin folders with clear plastic wallets to avoid labels. i keep only what I need next time. I sidestep retirement financials / humiliation by using agent. object to it in principle (only I control my money) and simply refuse to comply with the detail.

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The only thing I can think of is that his 900k is in an interest-bearing account, and whereas before it was always accepted, this time it was refused, and I believe that is the crux of the matter.

On the Phuket volunteers website it does say that, "normal savings accounts are preferred" (with regards to the 800k) and that's the only thing that I can think of that would count against him, but again as I said, he has had his 900k in this very same account for years and nothing has been said about it.

Hmm, my SCB account is interest bearing. I presented a 3 month statement which showed only 2 months' worth of entries, and was rejected earlier this year.

The next day I got a 12 months statement which had about 10 months' worth of entries. That was OK.  Maybe I should revert to showing my "daily bank" which is Krung Thai. That bank book has scores of entries - for every time I use the ATM!

6 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

JB: yes, best to be organized for Immi / DLT / Muni. have yellow ( non- house) and pink ( house) thin folders with clear plastic wallets to avoid labels. i keep only what I need next time. I sidestep retirement financials / humiliation by using agent. object to it in principle (only I control my money) and simply refuse to comply with the detail.

I'll see how it goes in 6 months' time. I'm quite happy to grovel a little bit, even though I am usually a "but it's the principle of the thing" sort of guy. ????

If there are more reports of Immi not liking interest bearing deposit accounts, then next year I'll probably get two bank statements and two bank letters for both my "Deposit account" at SCB and my "Daily account" at Krung Thai.

I suppose I could also get statements for my Krungsri deposit account and my Kasikorn shopping card account. But now I'm just showing off.

5 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Any savings account can be used (to include fixed term accounts) IF two conditions are true:

1) the principle cannot be subject to market fluctuation, you put in 800,000 baht, if you do nothing, a year later the 800,000 baht is still there.
2) you must be able to withdraw the money immediately at a moment's notice without any penalty except for the possible loss of interest earned.

Exactly what I have always believed. ???? 

(But I'll still monitor here in case others have a problem!)

4 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

JB: well you’re kind of creating / worshipping at the Immi “ shrine” mate ! and kind of proving my point of (limited) compliance in that this financials s..t just gets worse so best avoided at the outset…..

Well... one day each year, I'm not too bothered. ????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, xylophone said:

My 800k is in the account which my bank manager suggested and was accepted by immigration last year, and although it earns a minuscule amount of interest, it is an account which is readily accessible, which I believe the I/O's are looking for.

Mine was in a Foreign Currency Account, which is NOT readily accessible at weekends as would a Fixed Term account as you would have to go into the main bank to withdraw from it. But it was accepted by my IO as the balance was over 800k on that day.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Mine was in a Foreign Currency Account, which is NOT readily accessible at weekends as would a Fixed Term account as you would have to go into the main bank to withdraw from it. But it was accepted by my IO as the balance was over 800k on that day.

OK, how about that you can immediately withdraw when your bank is open.  What I'm getting at is that it must be a savings account.  It can be a fixed deposit account that allows for withdrawals.  It can be a foreign currency account that allows for withdrawals.  It can't be a stock, a bond, some sort of insurance/savings product that limits your ability to do a withdrawal, bitcoins.  Any of those just mentioned in the last sentence either are subject to market fluctuation or limit the depositors ability to immediately withdraw money from the account.  As a practical matter if you're getting above 2% APR interest you need to question if there are any restrictions on your ability to access that money or whether the money in that account is subject to market fluctuation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1