Income for Marriage extension

I always do my extension based on Income, this month, my income source has changed, meaning that I am just short ( about 6k baht) of the monthly minimum income I require for the extension. Next month the amounts received will go back to way above the minimum

looking at my options (renewal is in January)

If my wife transferred money to my sister in the UK, then my sister transferred that back to me (maiden name, so not the same surname), would immigration query this foreign money received from a different place

Also, moving forward my income will be paid In Euro, to a Wise (transferwise) Euro account in my name, I will then need to transfer from Wise to my Thai account each month. How do Immigration view this, as effectively it will look like it is coming from myself

• Haha 1

The accept it if you monthly total is more 40k baht. A good explanation might be needed if they ask about it.

Will this be your first extension using the income option? I have to provide proof of the source of my income I do mine using the income transferred in.

They may want proof it was not earned from working online if not from a pension or such.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The accept it if you monthly total is more 40k baht. A good explanation might be needed if they ask about it.

Will this be your first extension using the income option? I have to provide proof of the source of my income I do mine using the income transferred in.

They may want proof it was not earned from working online if not from a pension or such.

THis is the 4th time i have extended based on income

they have never even questioned the source of the income before,, I have just given them bank statements, and a document for each of the foreign receipts showing the currency amount sent and the THB baht amount received

12 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

they have never even questioned the source of the income before,, I have just given them bank statements, and a document for each of the foreign receipts showing the currency amount sent and the THB baht amount received

Different offices means different requirements.  Other offices have asked for the proof.

My bank statements do not show the amount transferred in or the currency it was sent as.

I assume you are getting credit advises to prove it came for abroad. Mine are shown as foreign transfers on my statements and bank book.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Different offices means different requirements.  Other offices have asked for the proof.

My bank statements do not show the amount transferred in or the currency it was sent as.

I assume you are getting credit advises to prove it came for abroad. Mine are shown as foreign transfers on my statements and bank book.

About 2 years ago, Phuket immigration stopped accepting income based renewals. THen there was a news article the phuket immigration bigwig said that they do accept them. First they refused to even accept an application, then after this news article, I went and spoke to them, and they told me I need bank statement and this other piece of paper that shows the above mentioned info (my statements do show it as a froeign receipt anyway), but what Immi asks for is what they get,  they accepted the application and approved with no bother

last year I did it at Phitsanulok, just gave them exactly what I had given phuket immi, accepted and approved no bother

My options seem to be get my sister to send me some money to make up the deficit, or pay an agent, I really dont want to use an agent. Any other options you think I can add to that list?

14 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

My options seem to be get my sister to send me some money to make up the deficit, or pay an agent, I really dont want to use an agent. Any other options you think I can add to that list?

There is no requirement for it to be all in one transfer. Two transfers are acceptable.

They may not say anything about the 2nd transfer.

If your transfers are shown as a foreign transfers on the statement and you bank book that should be all that you need.

• Like 1

Just be careful with Wise as there has been a lot on this site and other sites that have reported that their Wise transfers do not show as international transfers into their Thai bank accounts. I do not use Wise as my pension is paid directly from the Australian government into my Thai bank account but this year I have been asked for proof of where my income is derived from. I have provided a document from the Australian government pension 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

I take that you are on OA extension now and want to change to Marriage extension. 

If you can afford it. Talk to an Agent. That could get you through your tough spot. 

And then you could be okay next time around for the OA

Where is anything about a OA visa mentioned in the OP.

He is apply for another extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Just be careful with Wise as there has been a lot on this site and other sites that have reported that their Wise transfers do not show as international transfers into their Thai bank accounts. I do not use Wise as my pension is paid directly from the Australian government into my Thai bank account but this year I have been asked for proof of where my income is derived from. I have provided a document from the Australian government pension 

I just did a Wise transfer yesterday using '' funds for long stay '' and for the very first time they did an internal transfer via Kasikorn bank.

This is no good for immigration as it has to be an international transfer.

Had to do another transfer via my UK bank to guarantee it shows up as an international transfer. The two amounts were exactly the same and the difference was around 850 baht.

I will just have to bite the bullet with the difference and use my UK bank for future transfers.

I only address the Wise transfers. I use and have used Wise for my monthly retirement income transfer. I authorize Wise to withdraw $2200.00 USD from my US bank and deposit in my Bangkok Bank Account ... as Baht. On the Wise transfer I am asked the reason for the transfer and one choice given is for long term stay in Thailand. This assures a direct Bangkok Bank transfer and the bank notes the deposit as FFT (foreign funds transfer). If you do not chose this reason, your transfer may first enter Thailand through an intermediary bank ... then transfer to your account ... in that case it would be a Thailand internal transfer and not be designated as coming from outside the country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I only address the Wise transfers. I use and have used Wise for my monthly retirement income transfer. I authorize Wise to withdraw $2200.00 USD from my US bank and deposit in my Bangkok Bank Account ... as Baht. On the Wise transfer I am asked the reason for the transfer and one choice given is for long term stay in Thailand. This assures a direct Bangkok Bank transfer and the bank notes the deposit as FFT (foreign funds transfer). If you do not chose this reason, your transfer may first enter Thailand through an intermediary bank ... then transfer to your account ... in that case it would be a Thailand internal transfer and not be designated as coming from outside the country.

This is the option I used yesterday to send the money to my Bangkok Bank account. Unfortunately for the very first time, Wise did an internal bank transfer via Kasikorn Bank

2 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

This is the option I used yesterday to send the money to my Bangkok Bank account. Unfortunately for the very first time, Wise did an internal bank transfer via Kasikorn Bank

And you had "checked the box" citing for purpose of long term stay in Thailand as to the reason for the transfer?  If so, I certainly would get in touch with Wise as to their mistake. I would think they are very aware of the Immigration income requirements we face, I believe that is exactly why they have us check the long stay box on the transfer order.

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

And you had "checked the box" citing for purpose of long term stay in Thailand as to the reason for the transfer?  If so, I certainly would get in touch with Wise as to their mistake. I would think they are very aware of the Immigration income requirements we face, I believe that is exactly why they have us check the long stay box on the transfer order.

Yes this is the option I used and for the very first time they did an internal transfer.

1 minute ago, cauldlad said:

Yes this is the option I used and for the very first time they did an internal transfer.

Then I would say they messed up and the news is most worrying. Depends on your local Immigration Office, maybe a statement from Wise citing it was their mistake that the money went through an intermediary bank?

Just now, wwest5829 said:

Then I would say they messed up and the news is most worrying. Depends on your local Immigration Office, maybe a statement from Wise citing it was their mistake that the money went through an intermediary bank?

I have already sent another transfer via my UK bank, at least that way it will guarantee showing as an international transfer. This has also happened to other members on here and as you say the situation is worrying.

Having said that the difference was only 850 baht so I am not going to lose any sleep over it, was just annoying as it is the first time it has happened to me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If your transfers are shown as a foreign transfers on the statement and you bank book that should be all that you need.

and here was i thinking that marriage extensions did'nt need a foreign transfer only retirement extensions. I learn something everyday lol

There has been another comment on the "Expats in Khon Kaen" facebook site about transferwise and wise not doing FET notifications anymore, they are all local transfers.

Peter Kardos shared his first post.

ju-gPvlJAey.png?_nc_eui2=AeEOzZpqJlVpEKU
  · h0t8po1hme  · 

Can anyone tell me the best way to send money from aust, as transferwise or wise stopped putting FET on bank trans problem with next visa extention.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

A very good description of how it worked for the last couple years up until about October 6, at which point people (who made their Wise transactions exactly as you stated) found that their transfers did not get coded as FTT in their Bangkok Bank accounts.  Wise has been apprised of the situation but no "fix" has been announced.  Watch your Wise transfers closely to see that they continue to be marked FTT.  By the way, because your transfer was marked correctly as FTT doesn't mean the problem is fixed.  The problem is that not ALL transfers (made in the correct way) are being marked FTT, even though SOME are.  The problem can't be considered fixed until we see no reports of transfers being made without the FTT label (again, for the ones made in the correct way).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skatewash said:

A very good description of how it worked for the last couple years up until about October 6, at which point people (who made their Wise transactions exactly as you stated) found that their transfers did not get coded as FTT in their Bangkok Bank accounts.  Wise has been apprised of the situation but no "fix" has been announced.  Watch your Wise transfers closely to see that they continue to be marked FTT.  By the way, because your transfer was marked correctly as FTT doesn't mean the problem is fixed.  The problem is that not ALL transfers (made in the correct way) are being marked FTT, even though SOME are.  The problem can't be considered fixed until we see no reports of transfers being made without the FTT label (again, for the ones made in the correct way).

I certainly will be keeping an eye on this. My last transfer was at 14:00, Oct. 5. 

• Like 1

Immigration are only interested in credit advices showing FTTs into your Thai bank. They do like to see them coming at a regular time each month but a slightly late top up should not worry them but it's best to have a plausible explanation. They mainly look at the bottom line on your bank certifying letter which if you transfer 40k per month will come well above the 400k required. 

Best not to recirculate money in the manner described as they will then start thinking maybe you are just recirculating the same 40k every month.

I have never had a problem getting FTTs on my Wise transfers as my account is flagged only to use Bangkok Bank. However I always do more than one 40k per month so if it does happen I can always ring Wise to resolve the problem before the second transfer

Edited by chilly07

Hmm, the same potential issues which made me decide on NOT using the 40,000 baht a month income method. Only need one transfer to go wrong (wrong source of origin code, falling below the 40,000 baht a month due to fluctuating exchange rates or irregular income) and you could be denied your next extension. 

I went the 400,000 baht in the bank route, safer. I know some people do not have that amount in cash. But think creatively. I didn't have that amount in ready cash i was willing to lock away, so i borrowed it in the UK. Interest rates on loans are low (I got 3% p.a.) and I am paying it off at £100 a month over 7 years. The advantages of maintaining a UK postal address and UK bank accounts. And i have a nice little nest egg for emergencies in Thailand.

7 hours ago, cauldlad said:

I just did a Wise transfer yesterday using '' funds for long stay '' and for the very first time they did an internal transfer via Kasikorn bank.

Had to do another transfer via my UK bank to guarantee it shows up as an international transfer. The two amounts were exactly the same and the difference was around 850 baht.

I will just have to bite the bullet with the difference and use my UK bank for future transfers.

I made a transfer last week of £2000 from my Halifax bank in the UK to Bangkok bank and only £1500 arrived. Halifax have assured me the correct amount was sent,  Bangkok bank after inquiring have given me a transaction statement showing £1500 landing in the account.

I have no idea what has gone wrong and neither bank seems to care although i am £500 worse off..

23 hours ago, cauldlad said:

Have you asked Wise if there is a Solution?

On 10/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, cauldlad said:

they did an internal transfer via Kasikorn bank.

Happened to me.  Bank gave me some info about the transfer to take to Kasikorn who prepared a letter of explanation for me to give to immigration and it was accepted without any questions.  Kasikorn CM on Thapae was familiar with the process, in the back, second floor.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, cauldlad said:

It doesn't matter what it says on the Thai bank book or statements if you have the credit advice from the remitting bank.

In all the years I have been doing marriage extensions i have never been asked to show a bank book. Was always statement and embassy letter and now statement with the 12 credit advice.

As far as I am aware Wise will provide a credit advice on request. I have a Wise card account but use HSBC. The transfer fee is £4 and they automatically post the credit advice to the account for download.

17 hours ago, Irate priest said:

I made a transfer last week of £2000 from my Halifax bank in the UK to Bangkok bank and only £1500 arrived. Halifax have assured me the correct amount was sent,  Bangkok bank after inquiring have given me a transaction statement showing £1500 landing in the account.

I have no idea what has gone wrong and neither bank seems to care although i am £500 worse off..

You can request a SWIFT advice from the originating bank. It is a few years since the last time I did it and took a few weeks, may be quicker these days.

It is a detailed document that is generated when you complete an international transfer at your bank. It acts as a confirmation of payment made from your bank and informs the beneficiary of all the details of the transaction, including any fees applied.

https://help.flywire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012919014-What-is-a-SWIFT-MT103-document-

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have always used the 800k option and the only thing CW requires is the bank letter the morning of and a quick look in the bank book for the running balance and the FTT deposit code.

Neetha Schendran Nair (TransferWise)

Oct 24, 2021, 4:23 GMT+2

Hello David,

Thanks for getting in touch!

When you send money with us, we use our Thai banking partners to send out your money locally. It doesn’t cross any borders, so it doesn’t show up as a foreign transaction.

However we have added the tag to route your transfers to Bangkok Bank. But this tag does not work 100% of the time. There are unforeseen scenario where a certain partner might be facing a technical issue and the system will route the payment via another available partner to ensure same day delivery.

Please note that there is a chance that your payment might not be paid through your desired payout partner. Guide to THB transfers

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Wise Customer Support

This is the reply I received from Transferwise regarding my enquiry about international transfers. They way I see it it is purely down to potluck if your transfer shows as international or not which is no good for me. Consequently i will not be using wise anymore and will just take the hit using my UK bank. At least it is guaranteed to show as an international transfer.

• Thanks 2