Third booster with half dose of Pfizer vaccine as effective as full dose – study

snoop1130

Lower dosage for booster shot is not new. As I understood it, the FDA in the USA has been considering this with Moderna and various teams are examining the issue. There is still no evidence that a third booster shot is necessary for everyone as one Dr. Katherine O'Brien talking on the WHO website indicated. So is probably just a result of Thailand's clinical research staff reading/talking to other researchers in the field.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Siriraj Institute of Clinical Research, of the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj hospital, is recommending that people who have been inoculated with two AstraZeneca vaccine shots receive a third jab of a half dose of the Pfizer vaccine, which is as effective as a full dose in boosting antibody levels

Here we go again.. how to spread the doses further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

No wonder other countries have been refusing to accept Thai administered vaccines.

Why don't they just follow the guidelines issued by the vaccine developers? Why do they always have to take shortcuts?

What is a Thai-administered vaccine? Manufactured in Thailand? Many wealthy countries have rules about certifying vaccines manufactured abroad. Thailand is no different in this regard from other countries.

Well, we're in full-on panic mode. I have an idea. Let's undermine confidence in the only vaccines that are fully available, and arbitrarily mess with everything else by utterly confusing the medical community as to how to administer whatever's left. I've not seen anything quite like this "measured and well thought-out" approach to problem solving anyplace I can remember. This has crossed from stupid as all get-out, to outright embarrassing in record time. It is for this very reason that you can't slap a coat of paint on a military and call it a government. I've been in the military and can testify that it has an entirely different curriculum. Though here it's apparently more slap-happy than most. Un-freaking-believable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What is a Thai-administered vaccine? Manufactured in Thailand? Many wealthy countries have rules about certifying vaccines manufactured abroad. Thailand is no different in this regard from other countries.

By Thai administered I mean the jab goes into the arm within the borders of Thailand. Completely different to the country of manufacture, I'd have thought that was obvious.

Thai administered means you can have a perfectly good vaccine that has been compromised by reduced/diluted doses, different methods of injection (into muscle, under skin etc.). You know, all those dodgy untested shortcuts that save money at the potential risk of the patient.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

By Thai administered I mean the jab goes into the arm within the borders of Thailand. Completely different to the country of manufacture, I'd have thought that was obvious.

Thai administered means you can have a perfectly good vaccine that has been compromised by reduced/diluted doses, different methods of injection (into muscle, under skin etc.). You know, all those dodgy untested shortcuts that save money at the potential risk of the patient.

The USA has announced that for those journeying to the USA,  it will accepts mixed vaccinations and all vaccines approved by the WHO. 

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The USA has announced that for those journeying to the USA,  it will accepts mixed vaccinations and all vaccines approved by the WHO. 

This thread is about reduced doses, not mixed doses.

Not sure why you'd cite the US as an example anyway. It's not exactly the gold standard in terms of Covid response given it's got the most cases of any country in the entire world. It's basically an example of what NOT to do.

Besides, I thought the point of the vaccine is to provide protection from the virus, not to enter the US. 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

No wonder other countries have been refusing to accept Thai administered vaccines.

Why don't they just follow the guidelines issued by the vaccine developers? Why do they always have to take shortcuts?

They always think they know better... it is an endearing trait.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This thread is about reduced doses, not mixed doses.

Not sure why you'd cite the US as an example anyway. It's not exactly the gold standard in terms of Covid response given it's got the most cases of any country in the entire world. It's basically an example of what NOT to do.

Besides, I thought the point of the vaccine is to provide protection from the virus, not to enter the US. 

Because the point was raised. And  do you think that the US response might have had just a little something to do with the denialism of the previous occupant of the White House? Just a little?

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because the point was raised. And  do you think that the US response might have had just a little something to do with the denialism of the previous occupant of the White House? Just a little?

I think you're trying to divert the thread onto your dislike of a certain US politician. This thread has nothing to do with US politics.

Nice try though. Actually, not really.

Just now, JonnyF said:

I think you're trying to divert the thread onto your dislike of a certain US politician. This thread has nothing to do with US politics.

Nice try though. Actually, not really.

Really? I relied to someone who said the US can't be trusted because of its substandard response to the covid pandemic. If you don't think that the ex potus had a lot to do with that, you hadn't been paying attention to him during the last year of his term in office.

Just now, placeholder said:

Really? I relied to someone who said the US can't be trusted because of its substandard response to the covid pandemic. If you don't think that the ex potus had a lot to do with that, you hadn't been paying attention to him during the last year of his term in office.

Once again, diverting the thread onto some weird obsession with a former US president.

This thread has nothing to do with US politics, it only veered in that direction when you implied that reduced doses of vaccines in Thailand is safe because US immigration accepts mixed (not reduced) doses.  Even that link was beyond tenuous and yet you stretched it even further to try and bring an ex POTUS into it. I think he's got enough properties in his portfolio, he doesn't need to live rent free in your head ????.  

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Once again, diverting the thread onto some weird obsession with a former US president.

This thread has nothing to do with US politics, it only veered in that direction when you implied that reduced doses of vaccines in Thailand is safe because US immigration accepts mixed (not reduced) doses.  Even that link was beyond tenuous and yet you stretched it even further to try and bring an ex POTUS into it. I think he's got enough properties in his portfolio, he doesn't need to live rent free in your head ????.  

Apparently this is your reflexive response to any mention of the ex Potus. Sometimes it's valid, sometimes it's not. In this case, not.  What don't you understand about the fact that I didn't divert the thread? Someone raised the question of the USA's poor performance as a reason to doubt the wisdom of its scientific establishment. If you have any issue with anyone, it's the person who raised doubts about the USA's performance.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Apparently this is your reflexive response to any mention of the ex Potus. Sometimes it's valid, sometimes it's not. In this case, not.  What don't you understand about the fact that I didn't divert the thread? Someone raised the question of the USA's poor performance as a reason to doubt the wisdom of its scientific establishment. If you have any issue with anyone, it's the person who raised doubts about the USA's performance.

Actually, You raised the subject of US policy towards mixed doses in an attempt to justify reduced doses in Thailand. I queried the validity of using US policy on mixed doses to justify Thailand's policy on reduced doses, especially given the US poor record on COVID. You drifted even further to start talking about the former POTUS.

You seem to think the world revolves around the good ol' US of A and it's former president. But this thread is about Thailand so let's stay on topic.

I do not believe they will upset their China mates by stopping to buy the garage vaccine.  Now I do not want to see them charge an America full price to get a half a shot.  But be sure they will try.  So I have purchased two shots I either get money back for two half shots or I get 4 half shots.   Believe me 4 shots will not kill this old man.  It may even help him.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Actually, You raised the subject of US policy towards mixed doses in an attempt to justify reduced doses in Thailand. I queried the validity of using US policy on mixed doses to justify Thailand's policy on reduced doses, especially given the US poor record on COVID. You drifted even further to start talking about the former POTUS.

You seem to think the world revolves around the good ol' US of A and it's former president. But this thread is about Thailand so let's stay on topic.

Because there is a disparity in what the science based community in the usa recommended, and what the executive branch actually did. Now the science based community is firmly in charge of the covid response and is allowed to speak and act freely.

I think it's safe to say that  your opinion of the USA's scientific establishment's perspicacity in regard to Covid is severely at odds with that of the scientific community as a whole.

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Details. (are in the article, although not enough)

And did the "participants" know they were getting a half-booster?

And was there a control group?...

According to the text in the article there were several groups with different boosters, so yes, there seems to be even more than one control group...????

18 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

But - those 'boosters' or alternative dosing regimes will not be accepted as valid if you are traveling to other countries. 

It seems to be to protect the local population, especially those that got two doses of Chinese vaccine, most of those folks are not travelling abroad...????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Because there is a disparity in what the science based community in the usa recommended, and what the executive branch actually did. Now the science based community is firmly in charge of the covid response and is allowed to speak and act freely.

I think it's safe to say that  your opinion of the USA's scientific establishment's perspicacity in regard to Covid is severely at odds with that of the scientific community as a whole.

Frankly, I couldn't give a Monkey's about the US. Their record on Covid has been lamentable but none of my concern since I am in Thailand and I am posting on a Thai forum about Thai policy of reducing doses of Covid vaccine administered in Thailand.

I'm sure there's a time and a place for an angry American expat to vent his spleen about the former POTUS but I'm equally sure that this thread isn't it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Frankly, I couldn't give a Monkey's about the US. Their record on Covid has been lamentable but none of my concern since I am in Thailand and I am posting on a Thai forum about Thai policy of reducing doses of Covid vaccine administered in Thailand.

I'm sure there's a time and a place for an angry American expat to vent his spleen about the former POTUS but I'm equally sure that this thread isn't it. 

I dispassionately pointed out a highly relevant fact in regards to the quality of America's response to the Covid 19 pandemic.. It's clear a better case could be made that you are projecting your emotional investment in this individual on to me.

• Haha 1

It is clear that half a dose is a solution out of a lack of vaccines and a reluctance to make a hole in the state budget for its citizens.  Even a complete booster dose will probably last only half a year.  The world is in pursuit of a solution, half a dose it is a shabby and pathetic solution like the whole conduct of the Thai government.  It is time for an enlightened and young government that cares for the people democratically.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, BangkokReady said:

Any permanent damage?

I am still taking blood thinners. The options are life long blood thinners or six months followed by a medical to see if you still have a problem. The six months are up soon. Fingers crossed I won't have permanent damage.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, Scott said:

Unfortunately, you might be right.  I hope not, though!   We always have to fight our battles with the weapons we have available and in this case, it seems to be vaccines are the big guns and masks are sort of the bullet proof vest. Social distancing is also a big part of the whole mitigation effort. Neither works completely, but together they as effective as anything we've seen.  

I am fully vaccinated and had the booster -- all Pfizer.  I hate wearing a mask and do so reluctantly.  I stay out of shops and stores as much as possible and when I do shop, I do so quickly and tear that mask off as soon as I am outdoors.  

You and me both pal! I've had 2 Pfizer shots but how did you manage to get a booster and how long after the two should it be administered?

6 hours ago, cliveshep said:

You and me both pal! I've had 2 Pfizer shots but how did you manage to get a booster and how long after the two should it be administered?

I wasn't in Thailand and because I have an immunocompromising conditions, I got the booster early.