"Ungrateful son" sets fire to his home after deaf mum ignores booze money request

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police in the Samrong Thap jurisdiction of Surin in Thailand's north east served an arrest warrant on Phon Thamthong, 45, after he set fire to his own house and fled to sleep with relatives at the weekend.

The house was completely destroyed. His mother, Nee, 74, a deaf woman managed to escape with a teen grandson. 

But despite the help of neighbors the house was razed to the ground. 

The local phoo yai ban called Amphan said that Yai Nee has five children and there had been an argument with one son late at night over money to buy alcohol, reported Daily News.

He said that the son was drunk. 

The old lady's 5,000 baht she had with her had gone up in flames along with all the grandson's M3 schoolbooks.

Locals were helping though some organisations were due to visit to help her plight later. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-19

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 5

A new moron is born every day. This time it was a 45 year old baby.

Diaper Tiiime! If you play with fire, you will wet your bed. Ops! forgot. He burned that one, right?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

To take care of the parents, not stay home get pi##ed and burn the house down, that's got nothing to do with culture.

Like I said, his actions were despicable. I was just pointing out that the idea of a 45 year old man living at home with Mum is not unusual in Thai culture. 

As with most news reports, the reasons for the actions are not clear. I am in no way condoning the actions but there could well have been major issues. The Covid pandemic has left many Thais destitute, penniless and mentally broken.

Let's hope this man can turn his life around.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, khunpa said:

45 years old living of his mother. What a man!

Obviously you aren't living in this part of Thailand, where an alarming large proportion of males are totally useless. Hence the equally large proportion of "Mia Farangs". 

And sadly, some of these "Mia Farangs" are lacking morals just as their male counterpart, hence the annoying prevalence of "Thai geeks". 

In Issan one can observe some of the best, as well as the worst of Humanity.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Like I said, his actions were despicable. I was just pointing out that the idea of a 45 year old man living at home with Mum is not unusual in Thai culture. 

As with most news reports, the reasons for the actions are not clear. I am in no way condoning the actions but there could well have been major issues. The Covid pandemic has left many Thais destitute, penniless and mentally broken.

Let's hope this man can turn his life around.

Lets hope his mother can too, following this despicable action.

45 year old, or 6 year old...?

If I can't have it, no one can... Type of attitude.

Make him sleep in the streets as he made himself and his family homeless deliberately. Look after the family, though. Just hope he never finds out where they are.  But I know that's just wishful thinking.