Calls for more signage as wild baby elephant killed on road in Prachinburi

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Ra Bo Pai police in Prachinburi were called after reports that a baby elephant had been killed last night on Route 359.

The baby elephant was dead at the scene with many people looking on and distraught at the tragedy. 

A witness said he had stopped and seen a silver Toyota car parked ahead.

A three car pile-up resulted at the scene of the tragedy. 

It was not clear what had happened to the driver of the other car.

The elephant was part of a herd from the Khao Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary that use the area to cross the road in search of food, reported Daily News.

Another elephant in the herd was injured. 

Pol Maj-Gen Winai Nutcha, commander of the provincial police, called for people to drive sensibly in the area.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-19

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

People said there is a sign but it is not enough and more needs to be spent on good signage to warn motorists to slow down and be aware of elephants crossing. 

• Sad 3

As sad as this is, I can't help but look at the hypocrisy of the situation.  You have one dead animal and there are cries for more signage to warn motorists to slow down.  
On the flip side not a day goes by that I don't see a news article about one or more motorcycle riders being killed.  The vast majority of The vast majority of them not wearing a helmet.  I took the attached photo recently as the driver was entering Sukhumvit road.  One mistake and the entire family is either killed or badly injured.  

them oimage.png.50f6f90e32a6b441077c3e84ddcf4b89.png

This is so sad, unfortunately "people can't / don't read" sic !

Would it not be worth placing cameras at the road crossing point or some way to force traffic to slow down by placing speed bumps ?

In the Kalasin district on the way to Nakhon Phanom there is a road that passes through Phu Phan a nature reserve and forest area in which there are monkeys.

Some areas have numerous crossing points that the monkeys habitually use: sometimes there are low cement walls on one side.    The monkeys chance their luck, even those with much practice, when crossing the road.   In very few places do the trees form a sky bridge for the monkeys to swing across.
My question is "Why can't a tree bridge be built in these often used crossing points to reduce road kill ?"

• Like 2

There are no-cost administrative policies to improve protection of the subject elephants such as reduce traffic volume, reduce traffic density (ie., maintain minimum 100m distance between vehicles), and time-based studies to minimize or eliminate traffic during periods of potential herd movement.

Then there are the obvious expensive use of auto tunnels, elevated road gradients and BTS-like structural elevations. 

Or a combination of alternatives.

They have signs everywhere on Thai roads.

60 KPH!
Curves!
Intersection!
TRAIN!!!

What good do signs do then most of the Thai population drive like banshees and without a care in the world for the safety of themselves let alone the safety of others..

Edited by ArcticFox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

There are no-cost administrative policies to improve protection of the subject elephants such as reduce traffic volume, reduce traffic density (ie., maintain minimum 100m distance between vehicles), and time-based studies to minimize or eliminate traffic during periods of potential herd movement.

Then there are the obvious expensive use of auto tunnels, elevated road gradients and BTS-like structural elevations. 

Or a combination of alternatives.

You do realize, This IS Thailand? 

22 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

As sad as this is, I can't help but look at the hypocrisy of the situation.  You have one dead animal and there are cries for more signage to warn motorists to slow down.  
On the flip side not a day goes by that I don't see a news article about one or more motorcycle riders being killed.  The vast majority of The vast majority of them not wearing a helmet.  I took the attached photo recently as the driver was entering Sukhumvit road.  One mistake and the entire family is either killed or badly injured.  

them oimage.png.50f6f90e32a6b441077c3e84ddcf4b89.png

Maybe you buy them a car then.