Covid insurance rip-off

Oxx

13 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Is there any way to get this cheaper.

Well, I know someone who knows someone who knows someone else who took someone's old certificate and sent it to someone else who used PDF software to, uhm.......

Anyway, that cost him about 500 baht.

• Like 2

Many companies in this country who has no hesitation in price gauging and are taking advantages over people like us who needs them for vaccinations, paper works and insurances all concerning this Covid business...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Just gone to the covid19.tgia.org site to get a quotation for a year's insurance.  A few observations:

Are you outside of Thailand now? And you plan to return soon? Perhaps utilizing a re-entry permit?

That policy is for in-bound travelers, covering their planned stay in Thailand. If you just renewed your extension, left and will return soon then yes, you might need up to 12 month's coverage.

If you are in Thailand I think you'd need a different policy. 

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

43k is cheap compared to the bill for a covid related hospital stay.

If you cannot afford it.... Don't come !!

Insurance is about risk.   There is practically zero risk that someone will need hospital treatment specifically for covid if they:

1. Tested negative for covid on departure.

2. Are fully vaccinated

3. Are younger than 60 years old.  

The price should reflect the risk.    I doubt the average hospital bill for covid even comes to 100,000 baht so this is a rip off.   I paid 800 baht for covid insurance that lasts a year back in April which was probably the right amount at the time before vaccines were available here - but this is only available for those already resident in Thailand for more than 6 months so probably not suitable for the OP.  

• Like 1

LMG which offers the cheapest option. It is so cheap because the policy has a 200,000 baht deductible. This does not matter for the immigration, the insurance certificate you will receive, will guaranteed be accepted. The annual premium is around 7,700 baht.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, James105 said:

I doubt the average hospital bill for covid even comes to 100,000 baht

From reports when a lot of people where getting caught out last year I'd say you might want to revise that figure:

1536004548_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(3).png.a0e193074f51dcc5191bbd68fd4bedcc.png

--

1443946089_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(4).png.1cb994a97b7e81d8fce16e5f48a5ab4a.png

--

1257928936_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(7).png.f9a76b58d12b03e92c4757f6c4633e44.png

--

Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook (6).png

Bottom line, comes down to how lucky you feel whether to get a decent or basically a throwaway plan.

Edit: Reports from, and searchable on, an ASQ FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884

Edited by Salerno

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

(I don't currently have general health insurance and don't want to get any, so a "top up" is not really an option.)

If you can claim to be a UK resident (registered with a UK GP) then you can buy from a broker like South Downs. High level of coverage and cheap by comparison to the policies offered for visitors from here. That said, insurance companies will take your money happily if you say you are eligible etc so if you have no intention of claiming and just want something to wave at officials here then it doesn't matter. I bought a policy in the summer for one of my kids coming over from UK simply to meet the COE requirements and IIRC it was about £80 for an AXA policy from South Downs valid for 2 months. Plus it covered Covid and didn't have one of those tricky 'no claims accepted within 14 days of arriving in Thailand' which some of the policies here slip in.

@Oxx Have you already booked flights, and if not, can you fly Emirates? They give free insurance and will cover the duration of your stay (one way only 31 days but could always get a return and take another trip when your extension is next due).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

25 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Non-immigrant B extension of stay.

I've seen mentions of 1 year being closer to 36,000, from another provider. But I can't find those links.

A search would probably unearth them?

What is your planned interval between arrival and the expiration of your current permission to stay?

you cane get yearly covid for $100k for 15k baht, age limit 75, no underlying and 14 days waiting.

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/portal/coronavirus-covid-19-insurance/ONCOVIDL/

Doesn't cover asymptomatic hospitalisation, hospitel.

Try this full for around 30k

https://misterprakan.com/en/pass/thailand-pass

I was also quoted 61k for yearly health insurance over $100k, pacific cross, which does cover all covid. 

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

This seems more like a scheme to make Thai insurance company owners wealthy than anything else.

Is it mandatory to get insurance from a Thai company?  If not, check with insurance companies in your home country.

25 minutes ago, bbko said:

Is it mandatory to get insurance from a Thai company?  If not, check with insurance companies in your home country.

No, it's not mandatory. But they do  state that their policies include text that exlicitly state that they will cover u to 3.5 million baht for any expenses incurred for covid care. To get the COE, that was necessary.  I found that insurance policies' from elsewhere weren't clear about that.

Get a decent plan that's solid coverage and isn't throw away. https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Coverage up to 1 year. Covers accident, sickness and covid (including asymptomatic). They pay direct in network hospital and AXA have one of the best networks in Thailand. 365 days for 25,000.

The reality is that if you get sick or have an accident here, it can be expensive if hospitalised.  Then you'll wish you did have a Thai insurer to take take of everything rather than pay up front and pray your claim goes through.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

43k is cheap compared to the bill for a covid related hospital stay.

If you cannot afford it.... Don't come !!

yet many Thai co.s  were  cashing in offering insurance at the start for 1000 baht which i took  up and renewed, then some said they werent  paying, always "trust" Thailand.