Renewal Date Of Non-O Visa

A friend of mine wants to stay in Thailand for 4 months and in future years stay 3 months.

He is thinking about getting a 2 month Tourist Visa and then converting it to a Retirement Visa (think this Non-O though could perhaps be a Non-OA) in Thailand.

If he were to arrive in Thailand on a Tourist Visa on December 1st and convert it to a Non-O at Immigration what would be his annual renewal date?

I ask this because even though I entered Thailand in April years ago, my annual renewal date is in October. 

He would be applying for non-o visa at immigration  that will give a 90 day permit to stay from the day it is applied for. To apply for the non-o visa he would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies or proof of 65k baht income from his home country embassy if they do them.

Then he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day he applies. His extension would start on the day the 90 days ends.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Then he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day he applies. His extension would start on the day the 90 days ends.

So if he arrived on December 1st and was able to deposit the money in the bank that same day then the earliest he could apply for the Non-O would be approx Feb1  and then his annual renewal date would be approx May 1st which isn't good for him.

Is there some way he could arrange things so that his renewal date is in March?  Ideally he would like a late February renewal date.

I suppose he could wire money into his account now but I remember once for a transaction of over 20K I had to go to the branch and sign for the money.

30 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

and in future years stay 3 months.

He wants to visit and stay 3 months every year. 

Don't think many folk would go the non O (retirement) followed by obtaining annual extensions every year.

That ties up funds in a Thai bank for 12 months of the year. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

So if he arrived on December 1st and was able to deposit the money in the bank that same day then the earliest he could apply for the Non-O would be approx Feb1  and then his annual renewal date would be approx May 1st which isn't good for him.

He could apply for the non-o visa at immigration as soon as he has the 800k baht it in the bank. As I wrote before it only needs the 800k baht in the bank on the day he applies.

It will need to be in the bank for 2 months when he appies for the one year extension during the 30 days of the 90 day permit to stay he will get from the visa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He wants to visit and stay 3 months every year. 

Don't think many folk would go the non O (retirement) followed by obtaining annual extensions every year.

That ties up funds in a Thai bank for 12 months of the year. 

Ideally he would like to stay slightly more than 3 months every year from a couple days after Christmas to a couple days before Easter.   In prior years, he would visit somewhere else on the way home, Cambodia, Laos, etc. but would prefer to stay put in Thailand.  So for 2900 a year (1900+1000 for re-entry permit he can stay over 3 months with the downside of having to keep 800K in the bank.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

needs the 800k baht in the bank on the day he applies.

It will need to be in the bank for 2 months when he appies for the one year

Sounds good Joe as he will still be in Thailand and could then apply for a one year extension of stay 30 days before the end of the 90 days.  

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He would be applying for non-o visa at immigration  that will give a 90 day permit to stay from the day it is applied for. To apply for the non-o visa he would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies or proof of 65k baht income from his home country embassy if they do them.

or proof ....