Foreign Resident in Thailand - interpretation for travel purposes

6 hours ago, jayboy said:

Yes I did.Hence my point that despite your remark about "Thai logic", residence criteria for tax purposes and immigration purposes are not necessarily connected.

Just shows you didn't understand the point I was trying to make. Generally speaking in most countries once you have resided there long enough to be deemed a resident for tax purposes you ARE also considered a resident ( whether it be temporary or permanent) of that country, hence the reference to Thai logic or more specifically lack thereof.  So do you understand the point I was making, now.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, Will B Good said:
On 10/24/2021 at 2:27 PM, overherebc said:

If you haven't been issued with a Thai passport you're a tourist.

That would provide a clear, unambiguous definition for sure

...only if it was accurate!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

Sorry if you were offended when I said  "correct". Did I refute your point?

Anyway, just mentioning what is most interesting for foreigners dwelling in Thailand: the Holly Visa.

As I said, once somebody is awarded the status "resident" with the proper paperwork (a special booklet), he does not need to renew his visa unless travelling out and in.

Again, I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say, what your point is, or why you're quoting me. I'm not offended in the slightest, just extremely confused as to what you're trying to convey.

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Just shows you didn't understand the point I was trying to make. Generally speaking in most countries once you have resided there long enough to be deemed a resident for tax purposes you ARE also considered a resident ( whether it be temporary or permanent) of that country, hence the reference to Thai logic or more specifically lack thereof.  So do you understand the point I was making, now.

Not really.You are still confusing the criteria for tax liability and residence which are not the same thing at all.You are also wrong to suggest that in most countries it amounts to the same thing: it doesn't.In short your sneer at Thai logic seems misplaced.

• Sad 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:10 PM, TigerandDog said:
Who is considered a resident of Thailand?

“Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand

While the topic makes no mention of "resident for tax purposes" it is worth noting that The Thailand Revenue Office applies the aforementioned in determining whether a foreigner is a resident or a non-resident. Therefore one could consider, if Thai logic actually existed as we know logic to exist, that any foreigner residing in Thailand for an aggregate of 180 days or more in any given calendar year to be a resident.

and to prove that you can get a tax ID number - just approach the tax office ! 

• Confused 1