Best Bank for Ubon Expats

Have been using Bangkok Bank the last 12 years but moved to Ubon recently and very few Branches throughout the province.  Currently a 1.5 hour drive to get to the nearest branch and 30 minutes to an ATM.  Krungthai told me today I could not open an account without being married to a Thai or I could provide a letter from an employer.  Phibun is only a 30 minute drive and was hoping someone might have a bank recommendation.

Also Bangkok Bank isn't allowing international online purchases and won't tell me when they will start again.  Can't pay Netflix, Ebay, Aliexpress...  Having my USA banks send debit/credit cards but this will take weeks.

Thanks

Edited by atpeace

Seeing as you live in a remote area, maybe if you go to the local bank with your wife and the village 'urpator', you might stand a better chance of persuading the manager to use thier discretion. 

Something that they all seem to do when they feel like. 

It certainly helps if you know someone who knows someone in said bank. 

For sure you need a local branch, as otherwise, you'll be losing money every time you make a transaction. 

What is it... 20 baht every time if not your branch? 

4 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Seeing as you live in a remote area, maybe if you go to the local bank with your wife and the village 'urpator', you might stand a better chance of persuading the manager to use thier discretion. 

Something that they all seem to do when they feel like. 

It certainly helps if you know someone who knows someone in said bank. 

For sure you need a local branch, as otherwise, you'll be losing money every time you make a transaction. 

What is it... 20 baht every time if not your branch? 

It is 20 baht but I usually only use once an ATM once a month.  I'm not married so taking the wife is not an option.  I do not mind the 30 minute drive to Phibun or even Ubon city if I have to at this point.  All my out of country transactions at Bangkok Bank are being rejected until they resolve whatever issue they are currently having,  I have multiple automatic payments that will be rejected and my Ebay and Aliexpress payments are in limbo.

Edited by atpeace