Best place to get PCR test for flight?

I'm in the US. Flying to BKK on November 9th and need my PCR test 72hrs or less before my first flight. What are the recommended places to get the test? I have scheduled an appointment at CVS but I am not sure of the turnaround time, it says it varies. On Walgreens I saw it even said results can't be guaranteed in time for flights.

i got mine at the seattle airport, i was flying asiana SEA-ICN-BKK in july this year.  my flight left on a wed about 2pm and i made an appt for 2pm on mon, roughly 48 hrs before departure.  the results of the test were ready about an hour after the test.  i waited at the airport to get the results.  appointments were available and recommended.  they also had walk up service but that line was fairly long and the appt line had priority over them.  alot of the walk up service folks had flights out that same day and were stressing alot about missing their flights.  i can't remember the name of the company doing the testing but they operate testing centers at many of the major airports in the US.  it was $250.  i assume you can use google to find out about testing info at the airport you are using.  i figured doing the test at the airport was best as they'd surely provide the proper 'papers' needed to check in with the airlines.  i wasn't as confident with an offsite tester.

Have the test done as close as possible to 72 hours before the day you are flying out.

For entry to Thailand you only need the test result within 72 hours before departure. But some airlines are wanting the test being done within 72 hours.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have the test done as close as possible to 72 hours before the day you are flying out.

For entry to Thailand you only need the test result within 72 hours before departure. But some airlines are wanting the test being done within 72 hours.

@ubonjoeso it is within 72hrs of the TEST RESULT, correct? So if I'm flying November 9th at 5pm, I could have my test at say November 6th 12pm, and they would give me my test result the next day, would this work? Seeing as if I do that, I would be taking the test longer than 72 hours.

56 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

@ubonjoeso it is within 72hrs of the TEST RESULT, correct? So if I'm flying November 9th at 5pm, I could have my test at say November 6th 12pm, and they would give me my test result the next day, would this work? Seeing as if I do that, I would be taking the test longer than 72 hours.

That would be accepted under the Thailand entry requirements. But you need to check to see what the airline requires to board your flight.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be accepted under the Thailand entry requirements. But you need to check to see what the airline requires to board your flight.

Honestly im clueless. And I always thought that the Thailand entry requirements was the test has to be TAKEN within 72hrs of the flight, but if this is the case I think I'll schedule my test for the 6th then, because I don't want to get screwed over by the turnaround time being more than 2 days.

The airline I'm using is American Airlines to fly from Virginia to Texas, and then Qatar Airways for Texas to Doha, and Doha to BKK. Can you help?

16 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

The airline I'm using is American Airlines to fly from Virginia to Texas, and then Qatar Airways for Texas to Doha, and Doha to BKK. Can you help?

You need to check Qatar airways or maybe they have info on their website about their requirements.

What I did was as follows:

1. Test at pharmacy 70-72 hours before departure.

2. Second test at a clinic (free) the following day

As a fall-back plan, I would have gone early to the airport and paid for a while-you-wait test there on the day of departure (expensive) . But as it happened I got both test results in time so no need.

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What I did was as follows:

1. Test at pharmacy 70-72 hours before departure.

2. Second test at a clinic (free) the following day

As a fall-back plan, I would have gone early to the airport and paid for a while-you-wait test there on the day of departure (expensive) . But as it happened I got both test results in time so no need.

Which pharmacy? How many hours was the turnaround time?

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to check Qatar airways or maybe they have info on their website about their requirements.

So I asked Qatar and they gave me a link. Here is what it says:

"Arriving travellers must possess a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test certificate issued within 72 hours prior to departure from their point of origin. Airlines may require that the test certificate be presented prior to departure, failing which boarding may be denied. Foreign travellers arriving in Phuket under the Samui Plus Sandbox or Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension plan will be required to present a certificate for a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued within 72 hours prior to arrival, in addition to the vaccination certificate."

So since it says the PCR test has to be ISSUED within 72 hours prior to the departure flight, if I take the test 85 hours before my first flight, and they give me the results 24 hours later, I will have no problems?

42 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

So since it says the PCR test has to be ISSUED within 72 hours prior to the departure flight, if I take the test 85 hours before my first flight, and they give me the results 24 hours later, I will have no problems?

Yes no problem.

Maybe have the link handy to show somebody if they try to say no when checking for your flight.

Side note as I can't see it having been asked or stated anywhere - are home-test PCR tests acceptable for the pre-departure test (private, not NHS)?
I ask as some of the PCR test providers offer considerably reduced rates if you take the test home and drop it off as opposed to having it done in-lab.

3 hours ago, cfrsh91 said:

Side note as I can't see it having been asked or stated anywhere - are home-test PCR tests acceptable for the pre-departure test (private, not NHS)?
I ask as some of the PCR test providers offer considerably reduced rates if you take the test home and drop it off as opposed to having it done in-lab.

I assume it would depend upon what is shown on the Covid 19 test certificate. If if shows you did the test swab at home it probably would not be accepted since anybody could do the swab that you give to the lab.

Based upon my recent experience in the US,  I departed at LAX in late September and going to a Walgreens or CVS are not great options for a time sensitive Covid 19 PCR test.  I went to a international travel oriented clinic for the PCR test with a 24 hour result guarantee.  There are Covid 19 testing centers and clinics all over the USA that are geared up for providing quick PCR Test results.  Some can provide results in as short as 3 to 4 hours but they are expensive($400 to $500).