USA...Reinstating Medicare coverage

Vref

Are there are folks out that have returned to the States after a lengthy absence and attempted to reinstate their Medicare Part B coverage?  

Very confusing to me.

After a 32 min phone hold, I spent about ten minutes quizzing the MC rep on the phone about reinstating Part B coverage.   I was told that it could only be done through a USA consulate's benefits department and must be done Jan-March with coverage starting in July.  As well, a 10% penalty for each year that the Part B was discontinued.  So year Ten @ 10% penalty, one would be paying double premiums as the penalty would continue throughout the individuals life.

Also, the supplemental coverage would at the discretion of the private insurer.

With prior inquiries to the SSA / MC, I have always received conflicting information with each inquiry.

Has anyone that you may know gone through this procedure?

Regards,

Vref

Hi there, 

I think the info you got is mostly accurate. 

The window to enroll and starting date is certainly true.

An exception is if you enroll when you turned 65.

Another exception is if you have what they consider qualifying health insurance as an expat which may exempt from the penalties. I'm assuming you don't have that.

The place to contact if you want to do this while still abroad is:

[email protected]

Yes that's connected to the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines.

There are NO such services in Thailand!

However, I think you could do this after you arrive back in the U.S. as well.

You will also want to look into how to get started with Part D or Advantage (seek a Medicare consultant).  For that you will need to know exactly what your new U.S. address will be as it's based on zip code.

Yes, the penalties for deferring Part B are horrible. That's why I decided to pay Part B as an expat.

If you miss the enrollment period window then you may need to wait as long as 15 months to begin your coverage. Lucky you, the enrollment period is coming up so you could be started in July.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What is "qualifying health" care policy.  I have private expat insurance and previously had Employer health care coverage in Asia.  But since covid, my job was eliminated and I retained my private expat policy.  My current part B premiums are almost $300 a month, or about $3500 year.   More than I pay for mu current expat policy and I can't use it outside of USA.....but I can still be taxed here by Bidens communists.

Edited by Vref