Taxi drivers urged to up their game ahead of Nov 1 tourist reopening

webfact

21 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I've only transited through. Slept near bus station once, plane to BKK once. 30 years in E Asia.

This place is legion for scams and tight immigration.

No idea why people visit and live here. It's almost a tacit acceptance to be abused and ripped off.

I haven't been abused or ripped off in 3.5 of my last 4 decades here. It's a learning curve. In fact the last person to cause me major trouble was a farang who reversed his car into me. He denied doing it. The police soon sorted him out . 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Hayduke said:

Taxi drivers have no real reason to ‘up their game’ when everyone else in Thailand is looking to rip off/cheat/gouge visitors to the maximum extent possible.

"when everyone else in Thailand is looking to rip off/cheat/gouge visitors to the maximum extent possible."

Exactly, starting with the unelected PM and his soldiers. PCR and insurance scams, hotel scams etc.

5 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Remember years ago in New York there was ''I got Robbed in New York'' T shirts, that worked, may be ''I got Ripped off in Phuket'' would be marketable.... 

Here you will get charged with "bringing Thailand's name under disrepute, they'll also try and charge you with the computer crimes act and anything else they can make stick.

Thais have absolutely zero humour where their country is involved.

From the country that brought you Hitler Fried Chicken.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:27 PM, paul1804 said:

Due to the nature of people and Thai taxi drivers probably no exception the government should make it law that all taxis run by the meter on preset rates like other countries do, this takes human greed out of the equation and everyone is happy, no disputes!!! 

????  are you for real ???.....  this already IS the Law !!!!! 

It’s also law that everyone wears their seatbelts, wear helmets....

I think you know where I’m going with this.......     The law is only as good as those who enforce it. 

On 10/30/2021 at 2:45 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Mafia taxi drivers is the main reason I stopped visiting Phuket and Samui.  Terrible how they treat tourists.

Exactly this.....    but I’ve just hired a car instead of dealing with the Taxi’s.

When going to Phuket for 3-4 days (and staying in Rawai etc) its ’nearly’ more cost effective renting a 700B per day car than it is paying 1000B for the taxi to and from the resort. 

I haven’t been to Samui for over 10 years because I found the island to be one big rip off, from Bangkok Airways flights to Taxi’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

????  are you for real ???.....  this already IS the Law !!!!! 

It’s also law that everyone wears their seatbelts, wear helmets....

I think you know where I’m going with this.......     The law is only as good as those who enforce it. 

Well yes I do but I wasn't aware that meters in Taxis were the law here in LOS, I don't take cabs!!! Well then do random checks and any taxis carrying passengers without a meter running get their licence revoked, pretty simple!

Just now, paul1804 said:

Well yes I do but I wasn't aware that meters in Taxis were the law here in LOS, I don't take cabs!!! Well then do random checks and any taxis carrying passengers without a meter running get their licence revoked, pretty simple!

I guess they need to get honest police prior to any of this otherwise it would just be on the spot fines by RTP that goes straight into the pocket.