Diver drowns while spearfishing at Layi Beach

Jonathan Fairfield

1635579072_1-org.jpeg

PHUKET: A local diver drowned while he was spearfishing at Layi Beach in Kamala yesterday (Oct 29).

Lt Col Suchart Meelampong of the Kamala Police was notified of the incident at Layi Beach at an undisclosed time yesterday (Oct 29). The report was of a man drowning while enjoying underwater hunting at Layi Beach. 

After an hour-long search the body of the diver – Karun Somsa, 59 years old, – was found washed to the shore and taken to Patong Hospital to determine the exact cause of death.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/diver-drowns-while-spearfishing-at-layi-beach-81872.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-31

• Sad 2

59, so may have been another health issue that caused the 'drowning'.

Experienced or not, you can't always find a buddy, or depend on a buddy, that you don't know.  First thing I bought when certified, was a 'spare air', as I dove a lot on holiday, and most times partnered up with a stranger.  I prefer taking responsibility for myself, not rely on others.

I'd get distracted for a period of time taking photos, so not the best buddy to dive with, if not in the same mindset.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Spearfishing is a very dangerous sport. You spear a big fish and you just can't make it up again and die. This happened to my teammate in the world Championships in Malta. A Maltese diver also died and a few months later the world champion, a Frenchan. died in the European Championships.. I have had a lot of close ones myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pitufikken said:

If he was an experienced diver , he would not dive alone.

One of the most important rules in diving.

RIP.

That's not what experienced means. A guy can have 50 years of experience driving motorcycles, but still drive without a helmet – doesn't make him any less experienced, just stupid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pitufikken said:

Stupid, may be the right word, but with experience comes responsible actions and knowledge of driving.

And then only fools dive alone, , and @antony77 said what I could not have said better.

I still feel sorry for the diver, it should never have happened.

Well, PADI, SSI, TDI and other scuba agencies all have certifications for solo diving.  Properly done with redundant air supplies and other equipment solo diving is not more dangerous.  In fact I think it is less dangerous.  All of your emergency equipment is already close at hand and you should be well practiced.  You don't have to rely on another person that might not be paying attention to you.  

• Like 1