Truckers gear up for mass protest on Monday to demand diesel price cap

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that, if their demand is not met by the government, the federation may resort to increasing transportation charges, which will affect business operators, traders and consumers, who are at the receiving end of any increase in the price of consumer products.

Mexican stand-off in the making.

• Haha 1

I don't get this,,,, prices are outside of the government's control aren't they... talk to OPEC. Put your haulage prices up to cover this. Do they expect the government to subsidize the prices with taxes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't get this,,,, prices are outside of the government's control aren't they... talk to OPEC. Put your haulage prices up to cover this. Do they expect the government to subsidize the prices with taxes?

YES OF COURSE

They look at the continued deals that farmers get and expect that they will be coddled too.  

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

YES OF COURSE

They look at the continued deals that farmers get and expect that they will be coddled too.  

Well if it reduces the diesel price at the pump.... I might keep quiet having a diesel myself!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that, if their demand is not met by the government, the federation may resort to increasing transportation charges, which will affect business operators, traders and consumers, who are at the receiving end of any increase in the price of consumer products.

I think this is fair. They can't have their transportation prices fixed but the fuel prices flexible. If fuel costs go up, so should transportation costs, and if it goes down, then so should transportation costs. Though the latter would never happen. But both should.