BPPV (Benign Paraxysmal Positioning Vertigo)

kokesaat

For the past 12 years or so, I've had occasional bouts of BPPV.  The vertigo sets in when I lie down in bed or turn at night.  Last night, sleeping from 11 to 5, I got up to pee, then went back to bed on my side.......still half-asleep......and the bed felt like it was turned 45 degrees.   It was most definitely the most severe case of BPPV I've had.  I managed to turn to my other side and slept fine for a few more hours.

When BPPV sets in, I've done a repositioning exercise that seems to work.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/canalith-repositioning-procedure/about/pac-20393315

I'm curious if others suffer from this type of vertigo and what they do to get relief.  

FWIW:  my first case of BPPV set in shortly after a mountain bike ride where I traveled downhill over very bumpy terrain.  That's the only time I can possibly attribute the vertigo to any sort of activity.

I have the same problem , but i did not know that's is what its called .

I can only sleep on my right side , if i tried to turn over on my left , i

would get the feeling i was falling through the bed into an abyss, its

a really horrible feeling, 

I have not sort treatment for it, just learn to live with it, but will be

interesting what others have to say about the subject

regards worgeordie

I am still in my home country and was recently diagnosed with BPPV by my GP and referred to a Neuro-physiotherapist for treatment.

The physio confirmed the diagnosis and took me through some physical therapy.

Evidently one treatment is enough and was told that the BPPV would disappear within two weeks.

Two months later nothing has changed except for my bank balance for the very expensive treatment.

As a followup......my case of feeling like a boat tipping over on its side the other night.  For sure it was the worst case I've had, although after I got out of bed and was up for a few hours, I felt okay.  I did the exercise shown in the photos.......one time.......felt fine the rest of the day and slept on both sides at night without a reoccurrence.  

1.jpg

3.jpg

It is very very common especially in older people

i get it from time to time, lasts up to a few days then passes. While it is going on I avoid sudden movement (especially of the head, and getting up from bed or chair) and, while dizzy, fix my sight on a single spot for a while.

• Thanks 1

Had my first ever attack of this just weeks ago getting up from bed: a sudden and an amazingly and violently extreme sensation - lucky I didn't fall.

I googled it, and did the exercises described above, and some variations of same (starting from a kneeling and a sitting position) - which seemed to do the trick. 

I was so horrified by the sensation that I took myself to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (ENT Department), but by then there were no re-occurances - but they prescribed some pills (which I didn't take) (for motion sickness, I believe) and also vitamin B12 tablets, which I did take.

Interested to read here that posters do get it from time to time. I'm certainly more aware now of avoiding unusual head movements: I believe my original attack was triggered by defrosting the fridge ... and hanging my head upside down to examine the underside of the freezer section, to check the progress of the defrosting.