STV Visa Beaurocracy

With all of the extra costs to get to Thailand ( from New Zealand ) due to covid I was thinking of getting the STV visa. I have approached the Wellington NZ Thai embassy to ask a few questions about the visa. If I were to come for an extended period I would like to travel but the embassy have just told me

Regarding to your queries, when you are applying for STV application, you need to provide proof of accommodation at least 90 days from the date of your arrival in Thailand. Without fully submitted all the requirements we cannot further processing your application.

So I would need to book all of my accommodation before applying for the visa. No spontanious travel seems to be allowed ???? Given that I am 55 and retired I wondered what other options I might have if I want to spend 9 months to a year in Thailand ? Because this STV visa seems to be a non starter.

cheers

One option is simply to enter Thailand visa exempt (only 30 days on entry, but extendable for a further 30 days, if necessary, before proceeding further). You can then apply for a "conversion" Non O visa in Thailand based on retirement (giving you an initial 90-day stay) and subsequently apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay. The main requirements for the Non O visa and extension are either:

• an income letter from the New Zealand embassy in Bangkok confirming that you have an income of at least 65,000 baht per month; or
  • 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

How hard would it be for someone on a tourist visa to open a bank account ? Can an agent assist with that ?

It's not easy. Previously was less difficult.

If reason to obtain bank account is to obtain non O then I suggest an agent. Quick and painless.

10 hours ago, Sqoop said:

How hard would it be for someone on a tourist visa to open a bank account ? Can an agent assist with that ?

I think now difficult but different banks and different branches of the same bank may have different ideas.  I don't think it's specifically illegal but the KYC and AML requirements make it difficult to justify opening an account for a tourist who only has permission to stay for 3 months.

Try opening an account in the UK without proof of address or in the US without Social Security number and drivers licence.