Converter

rwing93

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Unless you are talking about Laptops/phones or most other electronic devices which do not need any conversion (as they are designed to operate globally)

Sorry! I guess I should have said that I'm coming from the U.S. I'm just concerned about charging my cell phone and Chrome Book.

7 hours ago, rwing93 said:

Sorry! I guess I should have said that I'm coming from the U.S. I'm just concerned about charging my cell phone and Chrome Book.

You will not need anything additional to charge your phone or Chromebook. 

Many modern electronic devices inherently operate on a specific DC voltage which is converted from a range of AC voltages and frequencies specified on the power charger "brick".  most modern computer and personal elecronic devices include a charger that can accept a wide range which includes both US and Thai AC standards.   Devices that typically are not compatible are devices which include a motor or heater (blender, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer).   

9 hours ago, captainjackS said:

Many modern electronic devices inherently operate on a specific DC voltage which is converted from a range of AC voltages and frequencies specified on the power charger "brick".  most modern computer and personal elecronic devices include a charger that can accept a wide range which includes both US and Thai AC standards.   Devices that typically are not compatible are devices which include a motor or heater (blender, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer).   

Quite right. Converting ac supplies to low voltage dc uses a neat and efficient little device (ac to dc switch mode power supply) which can operate over a wide input range. As you say there is a problem when it comes to motors and heaters. Loss of power when driving a 230v motor from a 220v supply will be about 10%. I found this out the hard way with my UK wood workshop tools.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Not as hard as it would be for someone trying to run a 110v tool or appliance on 220v.

True.

Huge amount of power for a short time ????

Even if you get a transformer, motor speeds would be different.

This happened to me when I installed a planetarium from US to UK. Stars ended up in the wrong place.