PC don't start, need to test RAM. 2x8GB, DDR4/3200

Odinrex

Want to reach out to someone who's got a desktop PC that can handle this RAM. Borrow it for like 10 minutes just to test if it is the RAM that is the problem. Before I go ahead and order a new motherboard. Some helpful people out there? Pattaya.

Do you have only one RAM module? Chances are that both won't fail at the same time.

Just take it to Tukcom. They will happily test it; as if it's no good there is a likelihood that you will buy a replacement from them. Try JIB if they are still there.

I've got 2 modules, and I thought the same as you, unlikely they both fail at the same time. But the first symptom was, no POST on the screen and RAM RGB lights was dark, while the other RGB and fans started. Now all is dead. Guess I'll go  to Tukcom then.

In all my decades of repairing computers I've rarely encountered a failed ram module, and when I have then it was of the ECC type.  Usually when a module is going or becomes bad, the system will throw and 'exception', usually on windows as a 'blue screen' and on *nix a warning in a window or on a cmd line.  

Seen these failures on servers running Unix, linux and windows.  

The BIOS during POST also checks the ram and will throw error messages, both screen and thru the system board speaker in a series of beeps.  Having a system board speaker is invaluable.

I have seen all the modules fail due to a flaky cheap power supply, which destroyed the ram and somtimes the systemboard.  Never use cheap power supplies.

Failing to have received any warnings from the BIOS or the OS,

I would highly suspect the power supply.  

Take the PSU, or the entire computer, to the shop for testing. 

It is really not possible to test a PSU unless you have special equipment which can 'load test' it.

Best of luck.

- howto

• Like 1

NOTE: Testing ram can take 'hours'. I use the 'memtest' proggy.

I also keep a known good cheap PSU on the shelf just for testing.

I don't think this is a 'ID 10T' code issue.

I also suspected the PSU because it WAS cheap. But I have now replaced it with a 4 times more expensive Coolermaster. Sadly everything is still dead. You think a bad PSU could have killed the motherboard or CPU? I have tried clearing CMOS. 

1 minute ago, Odinrex said:

I also suspected the PSU because it WAS cheap. But I have now replaced it with a 4 times more expensive Coolermaster. Sadly everything is still dead. You think a bad PSU could have killed the motherboard or CPU? I have tried clearing CMOS. 

Change the button battery on the mobo.

• Confused 1

Just now, Odinrex said:

Sadly everything is still dead. You think a bad PSU could have killed the motherboard or CPU? I

I once had a similar thing occur   changed the ( bought brand new)

PSU then RAM  then CPU  then motherboard

the thing still didn't work   in the end  I got it all working just sat on  the table  great  put it all back in the case..guess what ?  didn't work...turns out it was a bad  start switch on the case :w00t:  

1 hour ago, Odinrex said:

Yes, even a quality PSU can fail. Often due to bad incoming electric.

- can destroy several items.

*here, no beeps from systemboard speaker.

Bad systemboard ,

*here, no beeps from systemboard speaker. Maybe.

Bad Ram or CPU,

*here, Yes beeps from systemboard speaker.

CMOS has nothing to do with this issue, unless it has failed.

*here, no beeps from systemboard speaker. as there is no BIOS to do POST.

BTW, it's always best to mention what you have already attempted. It does help us in offering solutions to your issue.

I suggest taking the computer to the shop, check PSU and ram.

Do Add a systemboard speaker, if possible. I prefer the Piezo type.

- howto

What exactly does the PC do or don't do?

Not working RAM symptoms are not the same as dead Power Supply.

Does any light go on? (Including any light on the mainboard)?

Do the fans work?

Does the computer beep?

Do you see anything on the screen?

Do you hear any noise?

If you hear and see nothing then better check first the cable to the power supply. Is iT plugged in and is power on that cable and the switch on the power supply on?

After I replaced the PSU, status is now: All fans start, all RGB lights goes on, EXCEPT the RGB lights on the RAM sticks, they are dark. Waterpump working. Nothing on the screen, no POST from BIOS. The RAM sticks gets warm, they wouldn't do that if they were dead, would they? No beeps, I got no systemboard speaker, going to Tukcom to get one now. 

Wise to check if the systemboard has a pin plug on it for a speaker. 

Often marked 'SPKER' or such. I've seen there is a place for it on the board,

yet the pins module was not installed!

Thank you for updating us.

BTW, OneMoreFarang did have a good suggestion, I've seen that, bad breaker, elect outlet, pwr strip and cable.

• Like 1

After I replaced the PSU, status is now: All fans start, all RGB lights goes on, EXCEPT the RGB lights on the RAM sticks, they are dark. Waterpump working. Nothing on the screen, no POST from BIOS. The RAM sticks gets warm, they wouldn't do that if they were dead, would they? No beeps, I got no systemboard speaker, going to Tukcom to get one now. 

What's the exact Motherboard involved? Have you attempted a BIOS recovery? Unlikely. but possible.

I don't know any RAM modules with LEDs. But them I use only "normal" RAM and not some fancy overclocking watercooled RAM.

Anything getting warm just means it uses some power. It is no indicator if it works or not and no indicator if the power supply to that part is working correct.

Normally there is information in the motherboard manual (online) what kind of beeps happen if the CPU or RAM don't work.

RAM Sticks with LEDs and water cooling, but NO mobo speaker? Are they not standard on most MoBos these days.    LOL