Uk resident wanting a tourist visa to cover 85 days

Hi 

I am planing to visit Thailand for 85 days as a tourist, starting in January. I am struggling to figure out how I can get a visa for longer than 60 days.

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

I will be spending most of my time in Hua Hin, but I am hoping to travel around if the COVID situation allows it.

Get the single entry tourist visa (SETV) and 30-day extension as suggested above. The only possible issue is that they may insist on an onward flight within 60 days when you apply for the SETV. There are ways around this, but it is annoying.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help on this.

If I apply for a 30 day extension does this need to be in person or is it on line.

If it’s in person is it in Bangkok or are there other places we (I’m going with my wife) could apply ?

8 minutes ago, Tony W said:

Thanks Brit Tim

Can you give me any suggestions on how I could get around the flight problem as I have already booked them.

Usually the embassy/consulate doesn't require a flight out of Thailand when applying for a tourist visa, so it doesn't matter when your flight out is or if you have one at all.

Check the required documents on your embassy/consulate's website, it might vary slightly by country.

Edited by jackdd

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you should not require an onward flight for tourist visa.

The e visa site has this on it.

image.png.e1f06b6b70967ca8e977dc5515269b9f.png

The UK embassy website does no show the requirements since they use the e visa site.

This from the embassy in the USA that also uses the e visa site.

2.4 Proof of a round trip flight confirmation/reservation showing going from the US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly)

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

But it does not state the ticket has to be within 60 days.

5 hours ago, Tony W said:

Thanks Brit Tim

Can you give me any suggestions on how I could get around the flight problem as I have already booked them.

Initially make the application on the evisa site using your existing flight reservations. If the embassy contacts you to indicate your return ticket is unacceptable, I suggest buying a throwaway ticket, perhaps to Singapore, within 60 days of your arrival in Thailand. This is definitely acceptable, and they do not care about whether you can meet the requirements to enter the third country from Thailand. Cheaper, but potentially an issue if the embassy is conscientious, is to rent a ticket from one of the several companies providing the service intended to overcome these kinds of issues. One such company is FlyOnward.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The e visa site has this on it.

image.png.e1f06b6b70967ca8e977dc5515269b9f.png

The UK embassy website does no show the requirements since they use the e visa site.

This from the embassy in the USA that also uses the e visa site.

2.4 Proof of a round trip flight confirmation/reservation showing going from the US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly)

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

But it does not state the ticket has to be within 60 days.

Yes Ubonjoe as you are probably aware In the Uk we used to have a few Thai consulates around the country.Some of them used to ask for flight ticket when applying for tourist visa in person.As you say  we have have now gone to the E visa in UK.What it asks for now is Intended date of arrival/ departure.Which I am hoping should give us the flexibility of obtaining tourist visa first and then booking flight once visa achieved.I can’t see anywhere on site where it asks for flight ticket.

74897053-D66F-4A4A-A989-58E6A4F32B0B.jpeg

Edited by Hmunker

On 11/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, Upnotover said:

Or if you are over 50 (which you must be if staying in Hua Hin) you could get a single non-O based on retirement if you have money in the (UK) bank, I think its GBP 10,000. 90 days entry.

Not available from RTE London since Covid emergency kicked in.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:58 AM, Tony W said:

Thanks for your help on this.

If I apply for a 30 day extension does this need to be in person or is it on line.

If it’s in person is it in Bangkok or are there other places we (I’m going with my wife) could apply ?

Hua Hin Immigration office. 1900 Baht

Just to revive this topic...

I am arriving Feb 3rd from London and have a return flight booked to London on 30th June. I'm over 50, employed FT in the UK but taking a break from work.

What is the best way to cover a stay of this duration? It is possible I may want to exit and re-enter Thailand more than once, though not decided on that yet. I know there was the STV scheme but that appears to be finished now. 

I am aware I could get a 60 day SETV and extend by 30 days to cover the initial 90 days of my stay, assuming I don't leave Thailand during that time. But presumably I would then get stuck outside the country for at least 21 days (due to the "test and go" scheme rules) if leaving at any point to travel elsewhere or to get another SETV after the initial 90 days is exhausted?

Also, should I book a "throwaway" onward flight out of Thailand within the initial 60 day period to avoid any aggro at check-in/arrival in Feb, despite having my return flight booked for June?

Any advice welcome.  

Cheers.

Edited by MarkyM3

3 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

What is the best way to cover a stay of this duration? It is possible I may want to exit and re-enter Thailand more than once, though not decided on that yet. I know there was the STV scheme but that appears to be finished now. 

STV is still on the table

7 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

The 'STV is still available.

You can find it listed on the e visa website that you will use to apply for it. https://thaievisa.go.th/

Thanks for info but I can't actually find the STV on the website UbonJoe quoted? I have registered, and am searching on passport type = "ordinary passport" and purpose of visit = "tourism/leisure activities". I am only presented with the "tourist visa" option and within that single or multi-entry. 

Is the Royal Thai embassy in London not doing STV?

EDIT: Jackdd sorted for me - thanks. 

Edited by MarkyM3

18 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

Thanks for info but I can't actually find the STV on the website UbonJoe quoted? I also tried running the search where I entered my passport and country of domicile (both UK) and how I long I wanted to stay and it only presented an SETV option. 

In the dropdown: "Tourist Visa" -> "Duration of stay no longer than 90 days"

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

Follow-up re: STV. It's hard to find current information about requirements. This seems most recent...https://thaiest.com/blog/thailand-special-tourist-visa-stv-extended-to-2022

I'm assuming the quarantine has been dropped. Have health insurance requirements been relaxed as well?

Overall, it does seem very restrictive in having to reserved accommodation for the entire duration of the 90 days before travel. Not sure that is going to work for me. 

I think im giving up on STV. It requires many stupid documents (I dont even find any clinic who can make me tests for leprosy, tuberculosis, elephantiasis, etc).

So I think I will do the normal tourist visa (60 + 30) and pray for they extend the covid extension or reopen the borders. Even I heard maybe I can turn on student visa inside the country... Lets see

• Like 1