Privy Councilor Advises Nation To Emulate Ants

Jai Dee

Privy Councilor advises nation to emulate ants

The Privy Councilor advised the nation to apply the ant's way of life in their daily lifestyle, especially the virtues of perseverance, endurance, cooperation, and self dependence.

Privy Councilor Ampol Senanarong (อำพล เสนาณรงค์ ) hosted the opneing of a museum building at Kasetsart University, which aims to function as a center of research. Mr. Ampol conducted a speech on Living like Ants under a Self Sufficient Economy. He said that despite the ant's small stature, the animal is hard-working, possesses great fortitude, cooperation, and self dependence.

The Privy Councilor said that members of society are currentl lacking in virtue, with lack of kindness, selflessness, or morality. Mr. Ampol revealed that if humans acted like ants, then the nation will develop further.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 June 2007

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what he said.

Alright, you mean to say that the hard working ants are known for its egalitarian society, in which decisions are made according to democratic principles and not genetic selection at birth?

I do not believe it.

Both what the man says :o and the fact I'm agreeing with Pyat :D

Regards

There's always a first for everything. Come time and you will see the light... :D

But yes, it is shocking that there are still those tendencies alive in the top echelons of power here. Very disturbing.

That's not what he said.

Alright, you mean to say that the hard working ants are known for its egalitarian society, in which decisions are made according to democratic principles and not genetic selection at birth?

Come on Colpyat. For sure he could have used a better analogy as comparing any person to an ant leaves a very bad impression. However, he was relating to the way they worked together not their socio economic status in the ant world.

That's not what he said.

Come on Colpyat. For sure he could have used a better analogy as comparing any person to an ant leaves a very bad impression. However, he was relating to the way they worked together not their socio economic status in the ant world.

Well, yeah, problem though what recently has come out of the mouths of several Privy council members, such a Thanin or the one we suddenly cannot criticize anymore, leaves nothing but an ever accumulating bad impression.

Since any 'intelligence' exhibited by an ant colony is simply an emergent property of a small series of very simplistic fitness functions I do find this statement concerning. There is no society, no community, just a cold hard algebra, coded into the genes.

Regards

Since any 'intelligence' exhibited by an ant colony is simply an emergent property of a small series of very simplistic fitness functions I do find this statement concerning. There is no society, no community, just a cold hard algebra, coded into the genes.

Regards

Maybe the man has seen 'Ant Bully', which is one of the favorite movies of my two and a half year old son, and taken things there a bit too literal.

There is no society, no community, just a cold hard algebra, coded into the genes.

Exactly. There is no "virtue", nor "kindness" nor "morality" inside an ants colony.

However, the real question is : red or black (the ants ?)

:o

We should call David Carradine. Regarding "Kung <deleted> Metaphorical Bullshit for Dummies" style, he could help us to understand the -deep- words of the adviser.

....... or the one we suddenly cannot criticize anymore, leaves nothing but an ever accumulating bad impression.

actually Gen Prem is not (and SHOULD NOT be) exempt from criticism

Privy Councillors are NOT representatives of the King....they are simply his advisers. and anyhow even when on occasions that they are acting as his representatives, the les majeste rule still DOES NOT apply to them. thats reserved for the King and his IMMEDIATE family.

....... or the one we suddenly cannot criticize anymore, leaves nothing but an ever accumulating bad impression.

actually Gen Prem is not (and SHOULD NOT be) exempt from criticism

Privy Councillors are NOT representatives of the King....they are simply his advisers. and anyhow even when on occasions that they are acting as his representatives, the les majeste rule still DOES NOT apply to them. thats reserved for the King and his IMMEDIATE family.

Well, i have thought so too, until the present government tried to link the protests against Prem with lese majeste laws.

The Privy Councilor advised the nation to apply the ant's way of life in their daily lifestyle, especially the virtues of perseverance, endurance, cooperation, and self dependence.

Does he mean the white ants (termites) that try to eat my house??? :o

A couple of Wikipedia notes..

Any ant trying to enter a nest from another colony will be attacked. (no visa I guess)

The Australian bulldog ants are among the biggest and most primitive of ants. The individual hunts alone, using its large eyes instead of its chemical senses to find prey. Like all ants they are social, but their social behavior is poorly developed compared to more advanced species.

To confuse their enemies several ant species even employ "propaganda pheromones", which cause their enemies to fight among themselves.[13]

The Japanese word for ant, ari, is represented by an ideograph formed of the character for insect combined with the character signifying moral rectitude, propriety (giri). So the Chinese character could possibly be read as The Propriety-Insect. Its actual etymology is likely to be different however

Unbelievable....

The small group in power (the queen ant) wants to have everbody else (the worker ant's) serving its existence....

Are people stupid enough to fall for this type of brainwashing?

Soundman.

I enjoy watching people debate a metaphor.

I await the sight of troops of similarly clad Karaoke girls marching in tight formation before squirting formic acid out of their <deleted> as they enter Cambodia on a foraging mission.

Today, my wife and I invaded neighbouring houses and ate anything sweet that was left lying around or open. We also bit people who walked onto our property. We have a moral issue though with capturing neighbours and turning them into workers.

Perhaps those in power can show us by example, then I will get out my very large can of Shelldrite.

Seriously those in power/govt hardly provide the best examples of perseverance and hard work , do they?

I am pretty sure the Islamic insurgency has a much better prepared doctrine to teach to its young people.

No wonder the three (ulp, no - make that four) (ulp, no no - make that five) provinces in a state of unrest are gradually spreading northwards. There's nothing but ant philosophy to block it.

Phuket in 10 years.

Bangkok in 20 years.

Chiang Mai in 25 years.

Silk Prayer rugs at least.......

kenk3z

I am pretty sure the Islamic insurgency has a much better prepared doctrine to teach to its young people.

No wonder the three (ulp, no - make that four) (ulp, no no - make that five) provinces in a state of unrest are gradually spreading northwards. There's nothing but ant philosophy to block it.

Phuket in 10 years.

Bangkok in 20 years.

Chiang Mai in 25 years.

Silk Prayer rugs at least.......

kenk3z

Pure paranoia.

It's is the three states that made up the former State of Pattani, including a tiny slice of Songkhla province - Saba Yoi district. Ethnic Thai and ethnic Chinese Muslims in the rest of the country have never shown any aspirations to join the insurgency, have a different language, culture and ethnic background.

The insurgency is an ethnic insurgency in which Islam is a driving motor, not just an Islamic insurgency.

There are actually lots of efforts to try to stop the insurgency, none though successful yet.

Agreed, its interesting watching people make a mountain out of a molehill.

Or perhaps I should say anthill :o

Well, and i beg to disagree. In Thai politics, and especially such elated levels of society, metaphors do carry far more meaning than in the west. May i just remind you of another metaphor uttered by another privy council member that initiated huge turbulences - the one about comparing soldiers with horses...

People in the privy council are neither stupid, nor do they casually say things they don't mean in public. If they would they would not make it to that for a commoner highest reachable position in Thailand. What a member of the privy council says in public should be noted, in all its subtleties.

Agreed, its interesting watching people make a mountain out of a molehill.

Or perhaps I should say anthill :o

Well, and i beg to disagree. In Thai politics, and especially such elated levels of society, metaphors do carry far more meaning than in the west. May i just remind you of another metaphor uttered by another privy council member that initiated huge turbulences - the one about comparing soldiers with horses...

People in the privy council are neither stupid, nor do they casually say things they don't mean in public. If they would they would not make it to that for a commoner highest reachable position in Thailand. What a member of the privy council says in public should be noted, in all its subtleties.

Guess you misunderstood my post :D

I seriously doubt there are many people here (myself included) who are capable of interpreting what Privy Councillors are on about. And any farang on here who claims they can would make me seriously doubt their validity. :D

you guys are off here. you should think of the government like a father. the father takes care of his children (the people of thailand). the children need the father to survive and he has the power to punish him. the children must love and respect the father.

This is not America. Many of you are insulting Prem, you should know that this is grounds for Les Majeste.