Expat visit back to home country . Feedback please

Appreciate any feedback on my plans to visit family in the USA as long term Thailand retiree. I want to make sure I come back with no issues.

Current :

On o/a visa , to be expired April 10, 2021

Have covid coverage included with medical insurance due to o/a  requirement last extension ( 3 million )

Did not purchase multi entry visit permit 

Passport to be expired dec 30, 2021

Plan:

Leaving Thailand soon but not sure of return date  

Flying domestic from chiang Mai to Bangkok to San Francisco (will do rot-pcr test in Sriphat /ram a day before departure ) 

But my return flight to Thailand Must be before 6 months of passport expiry or I just need to renew my passport in home country Before returning back to Thailand 

Going to enter Thailand with tourist arrival visa exempt cause my o/a extension is void due to no multi entry permit . 

Will do the Thailand pass if it still exist i.e. 

Purchase 30 days covid insurance if I return after April 10th, 2021

Once back in Thailand with my 30 days visa on arrival exempt ,

Head over to the airport immigration office to apply for o visa 

Will Renew my passport if not already renewed before I apply o visa 

With an o visa , my insurance will be optional 

But most likely Seek medical coverage again from previous company before I become uninsurable ( not sure what age ) 

Sorry for my long post, I have much too lose if I cannot return ( home /car purchase , immigration 800k deposit and my retirement life ).going through my thoughts . Thanks for your feedback .

Notes :

Fully vaccinated with 2 doses .

Did not plan of traveling back  but Have to return on emergency sickness of daughter .

I have been using the income method of 65k / month and will continue while back to the USA but can show 800k in bank if needed to .

• Like 1

Good subject  I too have the same question about a return visit to UK but I feel you are injecting to many issues. The purpose of your travel is irrelevant. All you need to know is what documents you needs and how are they validified? Your bank payments/ visa details etc are irrelevant as is passport renewal details. They may be pertinent but are separate from covid related travel issues such as vaccine certificates, insurance, covid tests etc.

27 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Going to enter Thailand with tourist arrival visa exempt cause my o/a extension is void due to no multi entry permit . 

Can't you just get one (re-entry permit) at Suvarnaphumi a couple of hours before your flight? Or even just pop to imm tomorrow? Would seem easier?

Edited by MRToMRT

Future travel cannot be guaranteed under crazy covid rules/laws.

I hope it doesn't turn into an Australian situation for you.

Personally, I'd be inclined to sit tight where you are until the people

wake up and oppose this fraudery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OP, you have no issues.

Basically your steps are 

1. Return with visa exempt entry.

2. Apply for non O retirement at immigration. That gives you a 90 day permit stamp.

3. With 30 days remaining on non O permit obtain your annual extension.

Walk in the park.

As to your other items such as passport renewal etc, that's up to you. Personally if it fits in time wise I would obtain new pp while in USA.

That way all the stamps from date of reentry will be in new pp. No need to transfer stamps.

Which immigration office will you deal with.

• Thanks 1

Headed back to the US in January for a 5 week visit in order to close out my now deceased fathers estate. 

1. Already booked my flights

2. Will PCR test 2 days prior to flying. 

3. I am Double vaccinated with AZ, and have the yellow International vaccine certificate book issued by MOPH. 

4. AlsohHave the Mor Prom App on the phone and also have a digital certificate.

Landing in the US there is no testing required or quarantine.

Have an extension of stay that is good through November of 2022 based on the Non Imm O-A I entered on.  Have the required insurance through PCH and also have a re-entry permit issued at the time I did my extension.

To return using the "Test N Go" method it seems pretty straightforward. 

Using the app, I will apply about 2 weeks prior to my return.  The return flights are also already booked.

1. Have an extension of stay with the re-entry permit in my passport and copies downloaded.

2. Have the required Insurance, both Covid-19 and Regular HI coverage over and above what's needed

3. Will pick an SHA+ near my Bangkok residence and book when requested by the app.

4. Will do the PCR test to fly back 2 to 3 days before the overseas flight and return here

5. Flight lands at 1am so no PCR test upon arrival, it will be done in the morning from what I have found so far.

6. Stay in the SHA+ possibly 24 to 36 hours depending upon the speed of the test and then if all goes according to plan, walk to the house.

7. On day 6 or 7 use the provided ATK test, take a photo of it and contact the SHA+ hotel I stayed at with the results.

If I have missed anything as of now I am sure someone will point it out, I would hope.  I am about 65 days from the outbound flight and anything can change during that time.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Headed back to the US in January for a 5 week visit in order to close out my now deceased fathers estate. 

1. Already booked my flights

2. Will PCR test 2 days prior to flying. 

3. I am Double vaccinated with AZ, and have the yellow International vaccine certificate book issued by MOPH. 

4. AlsohHave the Mor Prom App on the phone and also have a digital certificate.

Landing in the US there is no testing required or quarantine.

Have an extension of stay that is good through November of 2022 based on the Non Imm O-A I entered on.  Have the required insurance through PCH and also have a re-entry permit issued at the time I did my extension.

To return using the "Test N Go" method it seems pretty straightforward. 

Using the app, I will apply about 2 weeks prior to my return.  The return flights are also already booked.

1. Have an extension of stay with the re-entry permit in my passport and copies downloaded.

2. Have the required Insurance, both Covid-19 and Regular HI coverage over and above what's needed

3. Will pick an SHA+ near my Bangkok residence and book when requested by the app.

4. Will do the PCR test to fly back 2 to 3 days before the overseas flight and return here

5. Flight lands at 1am so no PCR test upon arrival, it will be done in the morning from what I have found so far.

6. Stay in the SHA+ possibly 24 to 36 hours depending upon the speed of the test and then if all goes according to plan, walk to the house.

7. On day 6 or 7 use the provided ATK test, take a photo of it and contact the SHA+ hotel I stayed at with the results.

If I have missed anything as of now I am sure someone will point it out, I would hope.  I am about 65 days from the outbound flight and anything can change during that time.

A succinct and detailed post. V good.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Spoken to guy this day from UK,medical ins 110,000 baht, 10 mil cover,here for 21 days    around 55 years old,supposed to be compulsary

£2,460 for medical insurance for 21 days, at age 55 years old!! ????????

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He wants to kill off his non O-A and obtain a non O that will not require nonsense insurance for extensions ongoing

I should have done the same but I just did my recent extension of stay and hopefully one day soon I will be able to go back to the O-A ME  and fly back and forth as before covid.

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I should have done the same but I just did my recent extension of stay and hopefully one day soon I will be able to go back to the O-A ME  and fly back and forth as before covid.

Bit off topic but may assist others (myself included as I want to visit Oz early next year and have a new 12 month extension) 

What insurance do you plan on since you will be stamped in on return for best part of a year.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit off topic but may assist others (myself included as I want to visit Oz early next year and have a new 12 month extension) 

What insurance do you plan on since you will be stamped in on return for best part of a year.

My current PCH plan that's good until next November as it was needed for my extension of stay.

If I was doing it the other way I would just buy a travel policy that covers the 50k and the covid and travel back and forth.  Since I will just be returning here to my home I will keep my PCH policy as it will cover me in the US and my US policy I have will cover the difference just like here. One day if I can go back and forth I will just use the travel policies backed by my US policy, which is free to me based upon the pension I receive from the Government in the US.