The Rat

GuestHouse

I have fond memories of a night restaurant that went out of business a long time ago. Sometimes during heavy downpours the place got flooded, and then the rats came out of the kitchen and then invariably turned left. Not so easy anymore these days, to find this type of atmosphere.

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Do you mean building an efficient and modern sewerage and drainage system?

Apparently, although bizarrely possible some two millenia ago, the Bangkok Municipalities find this somewhat of a problem in this day and age... :D

:o

how true

anyway, I have a salamander that eats the rats, or at least scares the shit out of them!

we haven't eaten the salamander, nor willing to sell it to locals.

rych

My wife and I where having dinner in a restaurant in Thailand one evening when a rat suddenly appeared from under one of the tables.

So as you can imagine, we stopped eating, and I asked for the bill. (Let's not get into trying to get out of the restaurant without paying and without a meat cleaver in the back of my head).

Anyway, the waiter was a bit perplexed at why we should want to leave, after all the fish hadn't come yet.

"The rat's put us off eating" I said.

"We don't serve rat here" he answered, and then added "But I can fetch you rat from the Laos restaurant up the street aways"

'No we don't want rat, we've seen a rat in your restaurant and we don't want to eat here'

"Ah... just one moment sirs"

He went off and came back with the manager.

"What's this about a rat?"

Just then the rat reappeared

"There it is" I said, pointing at Rodney the Rat.

All hel_l let loose, the manager and waiter hopelessly chasing the rat around the restaurant.

'OK enough' I said, slammed the money for the bill on the table and headed for the door.

"Sirs" called the manager, "you don't have to worry.... It's not our rat" .... "It came from the restaurant next door"

I had the same thing happen to me the other day. The girlfriend and I were at one of outdoor buffet restaurants enjoing our meal when I saw a monster rat casually wondering around under the tables. It even crawled over one girls foot and she didn't seem worried at all. I could imagine the same scene back home and you would have hundreds of panicked woman on top of the tables. It didn't bother me too much as I have scene rats everywhere in Thailand. But I did tell my girlfriend how foreign women would panic. She seemed amused.

Funny thing is that there were quite a few cats around but they weren't the slightest bit interested in the rat.

That story is a classic, GH. I'm from New York, so I'm no stranger to rats, especially in our underground subway system. But, the first time I saw a rat moving around unfettered in a mall restaurant was in LOS. I screamed as the thing walked closely between people's legs and feet, but they didn't know what I was on about and probably chalked it up to my being a crazy farang. When the couple across from me did figure it out, the woman also looked fairly concerned. I doubt they are nonchalant about it.

Leptospirosis is contracted from rats' urine.

AKA Weil's disease. That's why Thais always use straws to drink from cans/bottles. I had rats at one house. Just got a cat. She cleaned up.

I reckon the poster who saw cats doing nada as the rats scurried about had full tummies already.

Biggest rats I've ever seen were at the docks in NY and Sydney. Take out a chihuahua easy. Ever seen the movie "Ben"? Ah, those were the good Michael Jackson days.

AKA Weil's disease. That's why Thais always use straws to drink from cans/bottles. I had rats at one house. Just got a cat. She cleaned up.

I reckon the poster who saw cats doing nada as the rats scurried about had full tummies already.

Biggest rats I've ever seen were at the docks in NY and Sydney. Take out a chihuahua easy. Ever seen the movie "Ben"? Ah, those were the good Michael Jackson days.

"Good Michael Jackson Dayz" ...you're joking, right :o ? That RAT!

Edited by SamuiJens

"Good Michael Jackson Dayz" ...you're joking, right :D ? That RAT!

maybe he is just being "childish" :o

My wife and I where having dinner in a restaurant in Thailand one evening when a rat suddenly appeared from under one of the tables.

So as you can imagine, we stopped eating, and I asked for the bill. (Let's not get into trying to get out of the restaurant without paying and without a meat cleaver in the back of my head).

Anyway, the waiter was a bit perplexed at why we should want to leave, after all the fish hadn't come yet.

"The rat's put us off eating" I said.

"We don't serve rat here" he answered, and then added "But I can fetch you rat from the Laos restaurant up the street aways"

'No we don't want rat, we've seen a rat in your restaurant and we don't want to eat here'

"Ah... just one moment sirs"

He went off and came back with the manager.

"What's this about a rat?"

Just then the rat reappeared

"There it is" I said, pointing at Rodney the Rat.

All hel_l let loose, the manager and waiter hopelessly chasing the rat around the restaurant.

'OK enough' I said, slammed the money for the bill on the table and headed for the door.

"Sirs" called the manager, "you don't have to worry.... It's not our rat" .... "It came from the restaurant next door"

best joke of the day :o

Guesthouse stole this story from one of the Fawlty Towers episodes where Basil was running around trying to catch a rat, and it ended up being served to a German guest, I think after Basil had just insulted him with a Nazi routine.

GH, get original please.

Guesthouse stole this story from one of the Fawlty Towers episodes where Basil was running around trying to catch a rat, and it ended up being served to a German guest, I think after Basil had just insulted him with a Nazi routine.

GH, get original please.

Yeah, what a rat :o

I still remember a night decades ago when me and her were dining in a beach restaurant on the isle of Corfu.

The lighting was fairy lights strung on cables strung on poles around the circumference of the dining area.

The entertainment (although I may have been the only one to notice) was the rats tightrope walking along the cables.

I was waiting for one of them to miss his footing and fall on someone's plate but I was disappointed.

People have paid for circus seats for less entertainment.

:o

Not at a restaurant, but just stepping outside a small alleyway upscale restaurant in Stanley, Hong Kong. At the precise moment I opened the door to the alley exit, I saw a relative scrawny and small black cat launch himself through the air and catch a HUGE rat by the neck. He then struggled and dragged that thing away, must have been half the cat's size, with the tail dragging behind.