Buying Gold in Thai Shops

Chris.B

My wife says when buying gold a tax must be paid. This is in addition to the gold price displayed?

I also understand, if paying by credit card a 3.5% charge is levied?

Is there a website that displays the daily gold prices per baht weight for buying and selling? Also are there historic graphs of prices in baht weight available?

The prices for gold displayed in the shops are for 23 carat gold only?

Edited by Chris.B

11 minutes ago, NE1 said:

The extra money you pay above the price of gold for that day is for the workmanship and labour that went in to making the ring/bracelet/necklace.

You can as well buy "non ornament" gold - some sort of bullion - then no workmanship and labour. The 3.5% surcharge for credit cards is new to me. Where did you hear that ?

For price you go to the thailand gold traders association website.

If i remember correctly it has historical data.

There are plenty of other sites for gold price history, but you need to look for one that gives you in thai baht accurately.

Check a few dates over the last few years to be confident.

I do not recall having to pay any tax ontop of the price when buying or selling in one of the big and reliable companies in bangkok chinatown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jojothai said:

There are plenty of other sites for gold price history, but you need to look for one that gives you in thai baht accurately.

I do not recall having to pay any tax ontop of the price when buying or selling in one of the big and reliable companies in bangkok chinatown.

I paid cash. Not used credit card.

There is likely to be a surcharge.

Ring a few places to check.

Even if you don't buy the jewelry gold, which attracts the 'workmanship' charge over the 'spot' price of gold that day, essentially the shop's commission this is usually 500-1000 baht per baht weight of gold, depending on the intricacy of design and the shop's prestige, hard to calculate into percentage as the commission is charged per weight and the spot price vary daily but this works out to around 2-3% at the current price

there's still the 'block charge' if you buy bullions, this is a bit less than the % charged for the jewelry (instead of 500-1000 per baht it's now 500 or less) and can be waived or negotiated if you buy over 5-10baht weight of gold  

3 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

But if you buy gold bars there should not be a price for workmanship.

There is nowhere in the original post about buying gold bars , he just mentioned gold. So being the ever helpful person I am commented on any extras in a gold shop you might incur.

You are welcome.....????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not at all unusual, many merchants charge for using credit cards as they have to pay their bank a charge for accepting them.

Even higher if using American Express. Up to the individual business, some do not penalize credit card usage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, talahtnut said:

She will love you too mutt big..  Priceless.

Guaranteed deposits at banks are limited to 1 million baht now. So, looking for other safe ways to save money in these unsettled times. Gold and land seem safe to me. 

• Thanks 1

For 96.5% Thai gold bars there is only 100 baht difference between the buy and sell price per 1 baht weight. No tax.

Some dealers like Ausiris also sell 99.99% gold from PAMP (Switzerland).

Personally, I have always paid cash and would not pay a credit/debit card commission. I prefer 96.5% 10 baht weight bars and 99.99% 100 gram or 1 Kg bars. 

http://www.ausiris.co.th/content/index/goldprice.html

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Like 1

The 96.5% gold "bars" sold in Thailand are referred to as "baht gold", because they are sold in units of "baht", which is a weight (15.244 grams). The dealers have a "spread" - in other words, you pay more (when buying) than the spot price, and receive less (when selling) than the spot price. This is typically 100 to 300 baht. I would not pay more than that, and would expect 100 or 200 baht from a reputable shop.

Personally, in Thailand, I will only buy "baht gold", as these are the most easily sold. Also note that you always want to sell back to the shop you bought from. Selling to a different shop will often mean a bigger hit on the spread. I have never fully understood why this is, and it is not always the case, but I believe it is simply because the shop "knows" their own bars and can trust the assay, whereas another shop may feel the need to assay the bar to confirm its purity and weight. Of course, major "chains" will accept from any of their branches.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 1:07 AM, jojothai said:

This is true as it applies to many small town or rural situations as well.